Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DP can't find things (lighthearted --notlighthearted-- )

(81 Posts)
AntiHop Sat 12-Dec-15 21:44:34

DP is annoying me. He never seems to be able to find things. He is always asking me where things are seemingly unable to find them himself, and even when I tell him where they are he still can't find them. It is driving me up the wall! Today two incidents:
He asks me where a piece of paper he is looking for is. I tell him by the sofa under the tray. He says no, that tray is not by the sofa. I go and find it, exactly where I said it was, under the tray by the sofa.
Later today, he asks me the cap to something is, which I had put out of DD's reach. I tell him exactly which shelf it's on. He looks there and says it's not there. I look, it is exactly where I said it was.
The other day: He asks me if I have seen his hat. He had not even checked in the place he keeps it, which is by his coat. I pointed out to him it was probably there. It was.
AIBU to be really annoyed??

Hassled Sat 12-Dec-15 21:47:10

YANBU, but being annoyed won't solve the problem. I don't know what will. DH is just the same.

Kosakova Sat 12-Dec-15 21:49:42

Sounds like he has got into the habit of asking, rather than looking. Just try saying 'no' all the time and see what happens.

hootatoot Sat 12-Dec-15 21:53:15

My oh does this. I call it man looking. I've now got into the habit of just saying "it's on the side" rather ambiguously about everything!

AntiHop Sat 12-Dec-15 21:56:41

Snort at manlooking hootahoot!

AntiHop Sat 12-Dec-15 21:57:20

Yes good idea I will try that Kosakova.

elephantoverthehill Sat 12-Dec-15 22:01:59

Whenever we asked our Mother where something could be she used to answer 'In Grandmother's room, behind the wallpaper'. I use it to good effect occasionally.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 12-Dec-15 22:03:15

Dh goes through phases of this, after 25 years I have more or less knocked it out of him by just not getting involved.

Combined with ruthless enforcement of putting car keys/house keys in a dish on the windowsill.

Sometimes I go in and look, if I see the thing I just turn around and leave.

I do sometimes shriek "it's right there....*there*....*THERRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEE* " when it's all gotten too much, but I haven't done that for a while

ineedaholidaynow Sat 12-Dec-15 22:03:17

My DH is the same, but he does recognise that he does it. We call it man looking too.

In fact he has just looked over my shoulder to see what I am reading and asked whether I had started this thread fgrin

LegoRuinedMyFinances Sat 12-Dec-15 22:03:56

Are you married to my DH?

gleam Sat 12-Dec-15 22:05:04

'Have you been manlooking?, is often heard in our house.

BearFoxBear Sat 12-Dec-15 22:06:40

We call that doing a boy look smile

AntiHop Sat 12-Dec-15 22:06:55

You lot have made me giggle!

freshoutofluck Sat 12-Dec-15 22:07:05

Ah yes, DN1 said they couldn't find something the other day, and DN2 immediately said "Did you have a mummy look or just a daddy look?" Guess which one involves actually listening to where you were told something is, looking for it, and whoooah what are the chances, sodding finding it right THERE??!!

evelynj Sat 12-Dec-15 22:07:20

Haha, mine too. It's like having another young child. Next week ŵhen he's off I'm planning on taking him on a tour of the house showing him where things are kept & where they should go back to smile

JontyDoggle37 Sat 12-Dec-15 22:08:12

Male Cupboard/Fridge/Room Blindness is the term in our house...

LegoRuinedMyFinances Sat 12-Dec-15 22:08:26

Actually if you manage to train your DH to look properly, then you should a write a book. You'd make millions.

Equally I've given up telling DH - I get the kids to deal with him or leave him to go without grin

whatever22 Sat 12-Dec-15 22:08:37

Oh dear. I think I man-look.

To be fair, I often find my dps descriptions of where things are impenetrable. I.e. 'by the cupboard', when there's multiple cupboards in most rooms of the house. If I take a cursory look and can't find it immediately its generally quicker to ask him to go then try to get him to explain clearly.

yomellamoHelly Sat 12-Dec-15 22:09:01

Never heard the term, but happens in our house too. Eldest just the same.

Oysterbabe Sat 12-Dec-15 22:09:51

I'm sure I read something about this. Men tend to just scan over areas and miss things whereas when women look for things they look at each item.

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Sat 12-Dec-15 22:12:00

JontyDoggle I'm nicking that, hope you don't mind. It will be accompanied by a sympathetic head-cock. Can't wait and sadly probably won't have to

MrsDiesel Sat 12-Dec-15 22:12:40

Oh yes my ex and my kids are like this. If it doesn't leap into their arms singing they can't find it. I get seriously huffy and shout if it is where I said it was. They still do it though.

Krampus Sat 12-Dec-15 22:14:01

If it has become a regular habit and it's something that he would know then say I don't know, repeatidly. Or if you have said where it is and he still can't find it then don't let him off the hook by finding it and fetching it. If my kids are doing a lazy half arsed search I check whether it is where I said, then call them in, repeat instructions until they find it. That way they are still inconvenienced and don't assume I will drop all and come running because they can't be arsed.

Both dp and me frequently can't find things and willingly jump in when the other is in a blind panic of needing keys and should have left the house 10 mins ago. Can't be doing with being nominated as the person who is responsible for mentally recording the gps positions of everyone's crap. I have enough problems keeping track of my own.

MiniLop Sat 12-Dec-15 22:16:50

DH is just like this. The other day he asked me if I'd seen his keys. I told him to check the pot where all our keys are kept. Lo and behold - there they were!! He hadn't even bothered to look?!

OolonColluphid Sat 12-Dec-15 22:20:12

I heard, probably on here, of charging a pound to locate things for family in the house, I tried it with my son once, and the next time I only had to say 'pound' for him to go and have a better look. It's tailed off since so I might try again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now