Talk

Advanced search

To start another thread about shit drivers!

(34 Posts)
BrandNewAndImproved Sat 12-Dec-15 19:37:29

I'm in the left lane of the roundabout which is clearly signposted for going left or straight across, another car is next to me in the right lane which again is clearly signposted for right turning only.

We were both going around the small roundabout at the same time and then she cuts straight across me. If I hadn't of emergency braked she would of gone straight into the side of me, no indicaters for changing lanes or anything and there wasn't room to do this on such a small roundabout. I beeped my horn and as shes now gone to right turn off the road we were in and we're side by side again I shouted at her and told her to fucking learn to drive.

Cars are dangerous and can kill, there are rules on the road for a reason <deep breath> and it's actually quite scary that other users can end up killing you.

TattyDevine Sat 12-Dec-15 19:42:57

Just part of driving really.

Chottie Sat 12-Dec-15 19:44:33

You obviously haven't driven recently in south London wink

wonkylegs Sat 12-Dec-15 19:46:11

That's normal driving around darlington, I now expect people to do the opposite of what they are supposed to especially on roundabouts

Varya Sat 12-Dec-15 19:47:55

We meet what we call 'popouts' who jump out of a parking spot, or feeder road into your path.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 12-Dec-15 19:52:14

If I hadn't of braked and let her drive into me would I be at fault?

I wouldn't of been so annoyed of she had indicated or sped up and overtook me, it's the fact she was quite happy to just drive into me!

wasonthelist Sat 12-Dec-15 20:16:09

I strongly suspect there are a lot of drivers with sub-legal eyesight and who have never passed a test on the roads.

foragogo Sat 12-Dec-15 20:18:12

I agree. The number of people i come across who clear ly have no idea you give way to the right at a roundabout astounds me.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 12-Dec-15 20:19:28

I agree wasonthelist and it's no wonder there are so many accidents.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 12-Dec-15 20:23:05

Or know how to use double mini roundabouts for, elderly people (I'm not stereotyping) like my dnan don't know how to use them as they were not around when she learnt to drive.

I also hate roundabouts with groups of trees, bushes and sculptures blocking the opposite view.

Gowgirl Sat 12-Dec-15 20:27:56

I'm a shit driver, and I assume that if by some miracle people ARE indicating.....they probably have their left and right mixed up!

Whatevva Sat 12-Dec-15 20:32:48

It is better to assume others are shit drivers, accept it, and drive round/avoid them. All other paths lead to madness.

There is no point letting an accident happen just to prove you are in the right.

Jibberjabberjooo Sat 12-Dec-15 20:32:57

Even more fun are the people who turn left from the right hand lane of a roundabout!

Pseudonym99 Sat 12-Dec-15 20:33:45

When you say the lanes were 'signposted', do you mean they lanes were actually signposted, or were arrows painted on the carriageway? If a driver is not familiar with an area, they are not going to know which lane to be in until it is too late. Have you never driven around an area in which you are not familiar with and ended up in the wrong lane?

A lot of people do not know how to use roundabouts correctly, and you have to drive defensively in order to prevent incidents.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sat 12-Dec-15 20:38:39

Roundabouts bring out the stupid gene in some drivers who haven't bothered to learn the rules of the road.

What you described OP is something that I am scared by (being in the correct lane on a roundabout, then the gobshite in the lane beside me deciding they're taking the same turn off as me although the turn off consists of one lane) angry

YANBU

Toadinthehole Sat 12-Dec-15 20:40:30

If you're in the UK, thank your lucky stars that you live in a country with some of the highest driving standards in the world.

ExitPursuedByABear Sat 12-Dec-15 20:42:52

I was always taught to assume everyone else on the road was an idiot.

Hth.

Have. Have. Have.

SparklyTinselTits Sat 12-Dec-15 20:46:59

Roundabouts can be a minefield for some people...yes it's dangerous. Sometimes, just pure stupidity.
When I was visiting family in Canada, the town they live in had just started to phase roundabouts in....and no one had a clue what they were doing. To me, a regular, Canadian, 4-way intersection was the scariest thing ever - turns out Canadians felt the same way about roundabouts! So many accidents happened in the 3 weeks I was there all because of a big lump of concrete in the middle of the road confused

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 12-Dec-15 20:53:18

Martin you have just described what happened to me earlier better then I did.

The roundabout was signposted and had arrow markings, it wasn't an unusual roundabout where right lane didn't mean right turn. If I'm in the wrong lane I indicate and get let in, if no-one let's me in I go back around the roundabout (I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do but it seems better then blocking those behind me and it's only happened once). You can't say in the event of an accident oh it wasn't my fault it was the fault of an unfamiliar area fgs. When you take your driving test they should be taking you on unfamiliar routes so if you can't cope with that don't drive.

<ignores the grammar police, it's not an English exam it's a talk forum>

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sat 12-Dec-15 21:02:10

I think that drivers who genuinely don't have a clue how to approach roundabouts take, as gospel, the markings that are on some roundabouts where there are exceptions to the normal rules (for example where there's a bus lane or left turn only from the left lane on the roundabout).

Again these drivers scare the crap out of me grin

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 12-Dec-15 21:05:11

I'd really like to know how you can drive defensively when someone can just swing into you.

Martin how would you solve this?

ExitPursuedByABear Sat 12-Dec-15 21:13:14

Standards darling. Standards.

MartinRohdesBellybuttonFluff Sat 12-Dec-15 21:14:15

I don't think you can drive defensively IMH(umble)O. It's a small matter of people just refreshing their knowledge of the rules which boils down to personal choice (sometimes unfortunately).

I get a feeling (woo!) when someone pulls up beside me and either take off like a bat out of hell ahead of them or drive really slowly and let them move in ahead (for me it depends on size of the roundabout really).

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 12-Dec-15 21:18:24

It's quite funny how the most well mannered people don't go out of their way to nitpick others. If you went to a dinner party and didn't use the correct cutlery for the correct course the person who loudly pointed that out in front of others would be the one in the wrong and being a grammar police is the same thing.

I suppose small things please small minds and if that's all you can do to feel superior and above others is to point faults out in grammar you really must have a shit life.

HTH darling. smile

HPFA Sat 12-Dec-15 21:30:10

Umm - completely see while you were angry but was your car moving while you were shouting and swearing? Because if it was it seems like you a road which could have led to a serious accident but fortunately didn't. The other driver then started swinging his car all over the road (at 70mph) in order to shout at me and nearly caused an accident himself.
I think we all find it easy to see other people's faults on the road - maybe none of us are too good at seeing our own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now