Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think it's time we had some new Christmas songs.

(72 Posts)
Songlark Sat 12-Dec-15 18:48:31

Does anyone else find songs like "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" depressing. Also Slades "So here it is merry Christmas" I find equally depressing. I think the trouble is....they've been going such a long time. I wish shops would play something nicer. There are nicer, but they don't seem to get played.

MelanieCheeks Sat 12-Dec-15 18:49:50

I'm with you! I love that recent one by Thea somebody, "That'll be Christmas", but I never hear it.

stardusty5 Sat 12-Dec-15 18:51:11

It's a shame artists don't seem to write great Christmas songs at the moment. The decent ones i can think of from recent years have all been a bot sad or ethereal type ones. Christmas Bells by Coldplay for example.

LunchpackOfNotreDame Sat 12-Dec-15 18:58:00

I'd rather they play traditional carols

Songlark Sat 12-Dec-15 19:03:38

I agree Lunchpack I was in a shop recently that was playing lovely carols and I didn't want to leave the shop.

Stanky Sat 12-Dec-15 19:07:49

The Darkness have released a new Christmas song called I am Santa. It's pretty sweet. I quite like the Leona Lewis song called One more sleep. Even though it's cheesy. I love Christmas songs.

wasonthelist Sat 12-Dec-15 19:29:27

YANBU I love Christmas but not the fucking awful music we get subjected to - and I say that even as a fan of Noddy Holder.

Krampus Sat 12-Dec-15 21:12:17

The Killers Dirt Sledding?

celtictoast Sat 12-Dec-15 21:18:26

I'd prefer to hear carols in the shops too. I'd find it more relaxing than Slade etc.

OverAndAbove Sat 12-Dec-15 21:19:21

I was going to mention the Leona Lewis song - it's been a slow burn but it does have all the requisites of a classic.

I can't listen to some of the old ones any more - well, except the really old ones (I love Nat King Cole singing O Holy Night)

stqueen Sat 12-Dec-15 21:27:09

Another vote here for Leona Lewis, One More Sleep. grin

I always hear the first not very good band aid song "do they know it's Christmas" but there's two more of them (1989 & 2004 if memory serves me rightly) that NEVER get played thankfully

Agree we need more - are there any attempts this year?!

ihateminecraft Sat 12-Dec-15 22:28:04

We were saying just this at work the other day after hearing the same old cd for the 80th time! I'm sure in the past there was always at least one new christmas song every year (usually from Cliff!).

TheSecondOfHerName Sat 12-Dec-15 22:29:36

John Rutter is still composing and arranging new carols.

CandyCaneCottage Sat 12-Dec-15 22:31:13

Can't wait for. 2017 no X factor, gives artists a chance as let's face it, Christmas songs have a short window to be successful in the charts it won't be in the top40 for like 30 weeks, so with X factor guaranteed number one I bet most think what's the point

Janeymoo50 Sat 12-Dec-15 22:32:11

Some are awful but......Last Christmas by Wham gets me every time. Takes me back 30 years to my late teens/early 20's.

CandyCaneCottage Sat 12-Dec-15 22:32:31

Oh and whilst I love it, I don't understand how fairytale of New York by the pogues is meant to be so loved as Christmassy song haha

cardibach Sat 12-Dec-15 22:33:40

I think it's another thing we can blame on the X Factor. Since the winner is almost always Chrostmas number 1, what's the incentive to write a Christmassy one?

Janeymoo50 Sat 12-Dec-15 22:34:05

I agree Candycane, like it but there are far better.

cardibach Sat 12-Dec-15 22:34:40

X post candy!

Flashbangandgone Sat 12-Dec-15 22:34:51

Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" depressing..

Hate that song... It's the most appalling pile of turgid drivel ever, especially the song the children practiced all year long 'ding dong, ding ding'.... Htf did it get on the chistmas top play list?

Mmmmcake123 Sat 12-Dec-15 22:39:53

More carols I think would be better too, but I imagine they're not used that much due to them being so short

TheSecondOfHerName Sat 12-Dec-15 22:43:36

Most of the carol harmonies and descants we know were written by David Willcocks. John Rutter kind of took the baton after him and also wrote some new carols. But who will take over from John Rutter (who is now 70)?

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sat 12-Dec-15 22:51:23

I love all Christmas songs, but some of the more recent ones I like are:

Leona Lewis- One More Sleep
Kelly Clarkson- Underneath the Tree
The Darkness - Don't let the Bells End
That Peter Kay/Geraldine one

Agree though that some more need to be made, I'd love a proper Christmas number one battle.

choli Sat 12-Dec-15 22:52:51

For some reason Jingle Bell Rock makes me want to amputate my own head.

HelenaDove Sat 12-Dec-15 22:56:59

I love Winter by Tori Amos and All i want for Christmas is New Years Day by Hurts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now