Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with energy saving 'light' bulbs

(68 Posts)
BeverlyGoldberg Sat 12-Dec-15 17:36:32

Remember the good old days when you flicked a switch and a light came on? Now it looks like someone has lit a candle and the cunty fuckers only brighten up when you've finished what you're doing. Is this meant to be progress?

I have a similar gripe about how TVs now take an age to change Chanel but that's for another day.

wasonthelist Sat 12-Dec-15 17:39:59

YANBU - also they don't give out as much heat as incandescent bulbs so you need more heating input from other sources. They use more raw materials, cause more emissions in manufacture and to recycle.

On a practical note, may I recommend LED lamps - they are instant on.

Topseyt Sat 12-Dec-15 17:40:59

I am with you on energy saving light bulbs. They need to warm up before they give proper light, and the light they give out for the first few minutes is horrible. Does my head in.

Not sure I get the problem with TVs. I am happy with ours here anyway.

Luckystar1 Sat 12-Dec-15 17:43:10

Absolutely agree. And completely concur with the pp re energy used in production etc. To me it's akin to electric cars, which have now become the holy grail of ecological driving... Are we forgetting about the way electricity is produced?! Or are we just concerned that there's no exhaust pipe on the actual vehicle (I think I've not actually looked closely at one)

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 12-Dec-15 17:43:15

yes....it's like an episode of Wolf Hall in my dining room...all the bloody dark and gloaming

I have to buy the expensive cuntyfucker candle bulbs too, as it's a black iron chandelier effort in there

foragogo Sat 12-Dec-15 17:47:30

LEDs are better - but still pricey

wasonthelist Sat 12-Dec-15 17:48:22

You can get LED and Halogen versions of candle bulbs.

Oldraver Sat 12-Dec-15 17:49:31

You can get old fashioned 100 watt bulbs from Aldi and poundstretcher. Just use a dimmer with them

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 12-Dec-15 17:50:37

My local corner shop sell the old fashioned bright ones for 60p each, I've stocked up.

megletthesecond Sat 12-Dec-15 17:52:56

Yanbu.

I turn them on early and just leave them on. Pointless having them I expect.

catfordbetty Sat 12-Dec-15 17:53:17

I think they're a bit dangerous - I would actually like to be able to see the stairs clearly before I go down them. Waiting for two minutes on the landing doesn't seem very 21st century.

wasonthelist Sat 12-Dec-15 17:53:51

Agree about them being dangerous in some applications.

LynnetteBird Sat 12-Dec-15 18:14:11

Can anyone recommend any actually warm toned LEDs? I'm terribly light sensitive and can't tolerate the whiteness of most energy saving or led bulbs...

SquinkiesRule Sat 12-Dec-15 19:10:47

We had some warm white LED but they cost a lot and didn't last. We ended up getting Candle florescent bulbs they take a while to warm up and go bright, but we aren't changing them constantly either.
The bright white hurt my eyes. Much prefer the warm white.

BeverlyGoldberg Sat 12-Dec-15 19:15:37

I hadn't considered the safety aspect, we live in apartment and don't have stairs but we're moving to a house soon so it will become an issue.

We have a particularly useless lightbulb in our kitchen and for the first 10 mins it's like nothing has happened. The one in our hall starts off like a candle and finishes up like a sun bed.

Time to pay a visit to Aldi and buy some good old fashioned ones I think.

MagicFinger Sat 12-Dec-15 19:22:05

I get proper ones on eBay.... My electrician friend told me there is little difference in electricity price and yet you have a horrid fluorescent semi- glow

PiperChapstick Sat 12-Dec-15 19:24:06

YANBU. I think throwing the word "light" I'm the product name is the companies being ironic as they light up naff all!

WitchWay Sat 12-Dec-15 19:32:36

They make an awful hot smell when they're wearing out & go a funny brown colour at the base hmm

I still have loads of 100W & 60W incandescent bulbs in a box in the loft - I stocked up before they were banned.

Thunderblunder Sat 12-Dec-15 19:36:43

We seem to go through far more of the energy saving light bulbs than we did the old ones and they're not exactly cheap to replace.

Junosmum Sat 12-Dec-15 20:32:52

YANBU. I hate them. And new tv's.

wonkylegs Sat 12-Dec-15 20:50:50

You have to buy decent ones but we have really good warm white LED replacement bulbs (Phillips seem to be one of the better makes) they are bright instantly, and save energy and being cool to the touch is a bonus for things like DSs bedside light.

NickyEds Sat 12-Dec-15 20:56:14

YANBU- I have to give the kitchen light about a sodding hours notice when I'm going to want some light. And it's all the bloody thing's expected to do......light up.

foragogo Sat 12-Dec-15 21:00:24

I get mine from ebay and theybseem to come from China or HK. The warm white ones are always fine. The cool white ones can be a bit harsh. I like them in some rooms like the kitchen. I think theyve got better (the ones from china anyway) and they are now a reasonable substitute for the perfectly fine ones we had.

ZedWoman Sat 12-Dec-15 21:10:00

Be very wary of halogen GU10 bulbs. They contain high pressure gas and, if faulty, can explode. We know this as our six month old carpet is now destroyed. There are several melted patches in it and these had broken glass embedded in them (we managed to cut some out). The insurance assessor who came out said 'I see this quite a lot'. Hmmmm...

I'm sure there will be a huge 'energy saving' by us replacing a six month old carpet with a brand new carpet.....

All our halogen bulbe have been replaced with LEDs.

Dipankrispaneven Sat 12-Dec-15 21:36:49

I like them, especially if I have to get up at night - they give my eyes time to get used to the light.

If the light is too dim for you to see the stairs when you first turn them on, you aren't buying powerful enough bulbs. Ours are plenty bright enough for that purpose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now