Talk

Advanced search

Would the teachers at school have noticed this?

(18 Posts)
lessthanBeau Sat 12-Dec-15 09:40:48

I'm wondering how much difference there is in children's speech and language, I've noticed my year 2 DD doesn't speak with the same type of language as her friends she's totally understandable but seems very young , some examples are, she says hims or her or thems as in her sleeped at my house, she says afor, ahind, agotten (before, behind,forgotten) most of her past tenses are still just ed(falled ,goed,catched etc) she says a instead of to as in do you want a go a shops... And says at instead of as, like I want the same at you. She's 7 in march, shes having extra phonics lessons to help with reading, she's on green band, I don't want to push it if its normal range and school haven't said anything about it, but she's quiet at school so maybe they haven't noticed, I did notice her friend of the same age corrected her speech so I'm worried that other kids at school may start teasing her about it. Wibu to ask for a salt referral or just see what happens?

superram Sat 12-Dec-15 09:43:20

I would ask for a salt referral. It doesn't sound that bad but as the waiting list is so long I would try to get into the system sooner rather than later.

kelda Sat 12-Dec-15 09:58:35

It is quite a few mistakes at that age, but if she is making herself understood, than maybe they haven't noticed a problem. I would ask for a SALT referral.

Allyoucaneat Sat 12-Dec-15 10:05:00

Nursery school picked up on this with my son at 4. We got a six week salt block and they discharged him saying he was within normal range and they wouldn't address these issues until around age 6. So I'd speak to the teacher and ask for a referall.

With my son we constantly repeated things back to him. So if he said 'I sorted oh the floor' we would automatically say 'oh that's nice that you sat on the floor'. Not correcting him directly as this can make them self conscious and withdraw but making sure he hears the correct words as often as possible.

He's 5 now and much better but still having a few slip ups.

PurpleAlerts Sat 12-Dec-15 10:06:44

Some of the year 2s I know still make the occasional errors with their language but not all the time. Your examples do seem a little more than I would expect for a nearly 7 year old.

I would make an appointment with her teacher first to guage her opinion and then perhaps ask for a SALT assessment.

Do you correct her by reflecting back the correct model of speech?

PurpleAlerts Sat 12-Dec-15 10:07:39

Allyoucaneat Cross posts!

Gusthetheatrecat Sat 12-Dec-15 10:09:14

My now year 1 child was a little bit slow with her speech. Nothing awful, just I had a niggle about it. I asked for a referral for a hearing test, 'just in case' and it turns out she had a glue ear and now has grommets. Interestingly her teachers all but flat out denied there was a problem, I think because she was well behaved and could hear some things, just not everything.
It might be worth asking for a hearing test - words like 'afore' made me wonder about her hearing?

MummyPig24 Sat 12-Dec-15 10:13:09

I think it's worth asking about a SALT referral. My 8yo occasionally makes mistakes when speaking in the past tense like saying catched instead of caught and 5yo dd definitely does it a bit more but I think at 5 it isn't a problem. I Agree with others about modelling speech. So if ds1 says "I catched the ball", I would say "well done, you caught the ball." He then corrects himself and repeats the phrase correctly.

hesterton Sat 12-Dec-15 10:15:22

Might be worth just having her hearing checked too. But definitely ask for a SALT assessment.

lessthanBeau Sat 12-Dec-15 10:57:58

Thanks everyone, tbh as were so used to it that the corrections usually just slip past, but when we do it we do correct modelling the speech. I'll see about a hearing test.

RJnomore1 Sat 12-Dec-15 11:01:17

I wouldn't worry as my dd2 did this (it's she's instead of hers etc) until she was about 8 and it just gradually faded out. She's 11 now and a prolific writer with extensive vocabulary and better grammar than me.

thornrose Sat 12-Dec-15 11:03:47

I'd speak to the SENCO. They will have resources and activities to help while you're waiting for the SALT referral.

MiaowTheCat Sat 12-Dec-15 11:46:09

I'd ask for a hearing referral. I've just done this with dd2 to start to work through eliminating the really obvious possibilities for her slight language delay

Osmiornica Sat 12-Dec-15 11:51:36

Yes, I'd say definitely go for a hearing test. The school nurse might be able to do a simple one first then refer you if need be. Or go through the doctors.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 12-Dec-15 11:59:58

Hearing test definitely I did this as a child 'can I hold your handle' etc. It was the only outward sign that I had very severe glue ear.

littleducks Sat 12-Dec-15 12:26:34

I am a SALT and would recommend this website for info:

www.ican.org.uk/en/sitecore/content/ICAN2/Global/Content/Audience%20Menu/Parents%20and%20carers.aspx

Depending on your area referrals may be dealt with quicker through school or GP. I would ask to speak to the school SENCO who should be informed on the process and like the previous poster might be able to put strategies in place in the meantime.

RJnomore1 Sat 12-Dec-15 13:02:48

I should say dds pre school earring test results were perfect, I don't know if they still do them/ ever did them outside scotlabd

postmanpatscat Sat 12-Dec-15 14:46:35

In my area the school can only refer pupils in EYs, Y2 or Y6 unless they are going through statutory assessment. This is due to funding. It may be the case in you area too, so I suggest you bring it up with the SENCo before the end of term. It really only takes 10 minutes for them to fill a form in and pop it in the post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now