Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be really disappointed in this orthodontist

(7 Posts)
Motheroffourdragons Fri 11-Dec-15 17:02:36

I am really disappointed in an orthodontist we have used for my children. The first one to use him was taken privately at exorbitant cost but the treatment worked very well in around 18 months. She was just outside the ratings used to decide whether treatment would be on the NHS but she was concerned about her teeth and we managed to pay. The second one had very higgletypigglety teeth and was offered NHS orthodontist treatment performed by the same man my daughter had used. Great we thought. Fast forward 2 years and 10 months. We have had to move away from the uk in the summer and we gave the orthodontist plenty of notice, but he said his treatment wasn't finished yet and we would have to find a new orthodontist in our new home.
Well we have just been today and the new orthodontist has said that my son will need his existing braces removed and new ones put on for around 2 more years as he had never seen such bad treatment. While the teeth were no longer higgletypigglety, there is no alignment between upper and lower palettes and there is still a huge overbite. I understand I now need to pay, and that's not what bothers me so much, it's the fact that he will have had nearly 5 years of treatment when surely 2.5 years with the original orthodontist should have been enough. A part of me wonders whether the first orthodontist does not care sufficiently for his NHS patients, which makes me even more angry.
But I am so sad for my son who will have had braces on till he is 19 years old! I realise this is a bit of a first world problem, but I needed to get it off my chest but not to my son who is fizzing mad.

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Fri 11-Dec-15 19:10:03

YANBU. It's a very hit and miss treatment. It's good that your son is getting sorted now. Encourage him to stick it out now or he'll be doing it again in his 30s (voice of bitter experience).

LonelySatsuma Fri 11-Dec-15 19:14:50

Have you thought about getting another opinion on the 'awful' dental work performed by the first dentist, before you shell out?

I've had a few ''''ooh, its gonna cost you...your old dentist must have been blind...' <chin stroke> moments with private dentists....

<cynic>

DoJo Fri 11-Dec-15 20:07:07

Is it possible that the NHS treatment was limited to what was necessary and didn't include any purely cosmetic treatment?

LifeHuh Fri 11-Dec-15 20:43:14

It's not unknown for professionals to disagree with other professionals.
All you know at the moment is your new orthodontist disagrees with your old orthodontist's treatment and thinks your son needs 2 more years of treatment .
You don't know if he is right, and you don't know if the treatment is taking much too long, or if with another orthodontist it might have taken longer still!
I also think a second opinion would be a good idea before you get involved with this new person.
The NHS doesn't cover every possible option for treatment, which us one if the reasons private treatment exists.

LifeHuh Fri 11-Dec-15 20:46:27

And - sorry to keep on- if your daughter wasn't eligible for NHS treatment her problems must have been less severe than your son's so it seems likely the treatment would be faster/ easier?

Motheroffourdragons Fri 11-Dec-15 21:35:04

Thanks for your answers. Spoke to my husband tonight and I think we will get a second opinion. Of course it's true my daughter's problems were fewer than my son's. But another 2 years of treatment on top of what he's already had seems a bit rubbish. So we will see. Feel a bit better sounding off thoughsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now