Talk

Advanced search

To ask my colleague to not wear so much perfume

(78 Posts)
DyslexicScientist Fri 11-Dec-15 15:07:30

Its such a difficult thing to say something about, but it gives me a headache and affects my allergies. (-And it also smells like cat piss - wish I knew how to do strike through!-)

Can I really ask someone to do this? Or should I ask via email? It could be pretty embarrassing for both of us.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 11-Dec-15 15:09:20

Yes. Tell her now before it gets out of hand. Most offices are scent-free anyway, aren't they?

EponasWildDaughter Fri 11-Dec-15 15:13:28

Most offices are scent-free anyway

Are they? Every day's a school day here. (never worked in an office).

I'd tell her face to face. No need for it to be personal or nasty, just say you have an allergy and am sorry to ask/be a pain but bla bla bla.

Strike through is -- at the beginning and end of the sentence up close with no space between it and the words OP.

wasonthelist Fri 11-Dec-15 15:13:56

Most offices are scent-free anyway, aren't they? Is this a thing now? I spent years being gassed by colleagues awful perfumes and cheap body sprays. Please tell me it's been stopped (work from home these days)

ExtraBlessings Fri 11-Dec-15 15:16:18

I have this allergy too. It's super awkward but I just grit my teeth and ask nicely.

Unfortunately my colleague continues to wear really strong perfume and I don't feel like I can ask a second time.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 11-Dec-15 15:17:00

I'm in Canada so maybe the scent-free thing hasn't crossed the pond yet.

ExtraBlessings Fri 11-Dec-15 15:17:13

Are some offices really scent free? Bliss

DyslexicScientist Fri 11-Dec-15 15:20:18

Scent free? I've never heard of that before! I wish they were. Along with airports and gym changing rooms . I once went to a fancy gym and it had a no spray policy, it was great.

-is it really this easy-

DyslexicScientist Fri 11-Dec-15 15:22:34

Extra, I think the same would happen here.

I would have to ask by email, would be embarasing to say it in person.

Any suggestions on how to word it? My English is awful -as I'm always reminded of by certain people on mn-

DyslexicScientist Fri 11-Dec-15 15:23:11

Any suggestions on how to word it? My English is awful as I'm always reminded of by certain people on mn

Please work

JapaneseSlipper Fri 11-Dec-15 15:24:50

Can you mention it to HR. No names need mentioning - just request that a general email go out to all staff?

Creiddylad Fri 11-Dec-15 15:26:16

The only office I know that is scent free is Asthma UK.

I like to wear strong perfume, if anyone asked me to wear a less strong one I would not have a problem.

Just ask nicely.

Cloppysow Fri 11-Dec-15 15:29:21

A former colleague had allergies to certain chemicals. She went to our boss about perfume and we were all told to stop wearing it. I didn't mind, most people didn't.

beelights Fri 11-Dec-15 15:29:46

I wear an unusual perfume and often wonder if it bothers others (it's not strong, but distinctive). If it did I would be happy to stop wearing if they asked.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 11-Dec-15 15:33:33

OP, you need double - to do strike out. -- your text -- (but no spaces between the -- and the words)

EnlightenedOwl Fri 11-Dec-15 15:33:44

I sit near three people who all insist on spraying awful strong perfume in the office not caring it makes me sneeze and my eyes water.

FluffyNinja Fri 11-Dec-15 15:37:11

If you stress that certain chemicals in a wide range of the products, particularly perfumes, often cause you severe headaches rather than you don't like their choice of smell, you're far more likely to be successful.

wasonthelist Fri 11-Dec-15 15:37:28

Not pleased you are all suffering, but people thought I was a loony for raising it. I am sure some people don't realise - for me it was so overpowering, it was a bit like sitting next to someone who was shouting in my ear the whole time.

MackerelOfFact Fri 11-Dec-15 15:37:40

Most offices are scent-free anyway

Eh? Are they? I've worked in offices from big to small, several of which were in the last 12 months. None were 'scent free' and it and no expectations with regards to personal fragrance were ever expressed!

I've worked with people who suffer from migraines, asthma or allergies though and have toned down perfume to suit. But when you're travelling to work on a projectile pipe of human sweat, otherwise know as the tube, people are generally grateful for a bit of eau de toilette.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 11-Dec-15 15:40:58

MackerelOfFact I mentioned above that I am in Canada. Every office I have worked in here has been scent free.

FishOn Fri 11-Dec-15 15:42:47

I'm in Canada too - I see signs up in medical facilities asking you not to wear scent/cologne but nothing at work...

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 11-Dec-15 15:43:36

It must just be the offices I have worked in then.

FlowersAndShit Fri 11-Dec-15 15:47:58

At least it's not a BO or fishy smell? grin

wasonthelist Fri 11-Dec-15 15:54:41

When people have BO it's just BO plus offensive body spray, so it's worse, like "air freshener" in the bogs where you get the smell of shit and piss augmented with some nose-bleaching foul stench.

Snoopadoop Fri 11-Dec-15 15:56:29

Most offices are scent-free anyway... Eh? Is that a thing? I wear perfume and if it was overpowering to any of my colleagues I'd rather they told me than suffered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now