Talk

Advanced search

to suggest that I should not pay rent during the entire notice period

(7 Posts)
jani64 Fri 11-Dec-15 14:42:41

I have recently moved out of a rented house into a place of my own smile.

Due to past experience I was concerned that the purchase might fall through/be delayed and I would be left with nowhere to live if I gave notice before exchange. Therefore I only gave notice once contracts for the property being purchased had been exchanged. This means that I am now paying rent for a place I am not living in and a mortgage.

The landlord has asked when I will be out so he can do some work in the place before the new tenant moves in. New tenant is due to move in just after my notice expires.

So, actually the house would benefit from being decorated but this would be while I am actually paying rent. So, WIBU to ask for say a reduction of one week on the notice - if it WNBU can anyone suggest a nice way of wording the request - in an email!

Thank you.

sparechange Fri 11-Dec-15 14:47:33

"I'm happy to end the tenancy earlier than XX date, so you can decorate. Please let me know what date is best for you and I'll make sure I've vacated by then. I'll also organise the inventory check out for this date."

Hatethis22 Fri 11-Dec-15 14:49:29

I don't think there's any harm in saying you could be out a week or two early providing he lets you off 1 or two weeks of the rent.

jani64 Fri 11-Dec-15 14:51:35

Thank you - good suggestion - it feels a bit cheeky but it would be a big help to me if I can save a little money.

Akire Fri 11-Dec-15 14:53:48

Unless your agreement states that the last week of tenancy tou have to allow him access to decorate while you still live there then I would expect him to refund you the week. He's only going have to either not decorate or put new tenant off a week. So it's too both their advantages. Nothing to lose by asking.
I would point out that I could possible arrange to be our earlier if he refunded the week. Rather that let on its empty already

notquitehuman Fri 11-Dec-15 14:59:19

If its through an agency then your tenancy ends when they do the check out and inventory. Your LL shouldn't be decorating before then, as you're still technically the tenant. Get them to move the check out date forward and save yourself the cash.

jani64 Fri 11-Dec-15 15:27:13

Thank you all for these replies - feel encouraged to construct and send email now smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now