Talk

Advanced search

To think if you're off work with a stomach bug you can't be seen in a restaurant

(44 Posts)
Daisysbear Fri 11-Dec-15 09:34:30

I was up during the night with cramps and diorrea. Rang work to say I had a stomach bug and wouldn't be in.
I was supposed to be meeting a friend for a meal tonight and texted to cancel and apologise. She texted back saying 'see how you feel later. You might be ok.'

Aibu to think that even in the unlikely event that I felt up to it, it would be very stupid to be seen out enjoying a meal when you've been off work all day with a dodgy stomach? I hate letting my friend down but I just don't feel I could do that.

ouryve Fri 11-Dec-15 09:35:49

Yanbu.

MrsAukerman Fri 11-Dec-15 09:37:03

Yanbu.

madmother1 Fri 11-Dec-15 09:37:16

My Mum always had a rule. Too ill for work in the day, then you shouldn't go out in the evening. I wouldn't do it. You might still be carrying germs. I'd cancel and reschedule.

BanningTheWordNaice Fri 11-Dec-15 09:38:20

Absolutely yanbu. YWBU to risk giving it to others.

peggyundercrackers Fri 11-Dec-15 09:51:30

If you went to work the following day I think it's fine, you are allowed to get better and do normal things...

BeanGirls Fri 11-Dec-15 09:51:52

I think it would reflect badly on you if you were seen by a colleague.

Daisysbear Fri 11-Dec-15 10:00:56

Thanks. Feel less guilty now.

BondJayneBond Fri 11-Dec-15 10:02:27

YANBU

Bogburglar99 Fri 11-Dec-15 10:04:17

Also from a health protection point of view, in a place where lots of people are eating and food being handled, having just got over diarrhoea? Not a good look. You are likely to be infectious for another 48 hours or so.

Hope you feel better soon though!

battlebacktonewlife Fri 11-Dec-15 10:10:34

Yeah my rule is, if you are too sick for work that day then other than a quick trip the shops for essential medicine you should not be seen out that day.

Finola1step Fri 11-Dec-15 10:10:46

You're right to cancel. For 3 reasons.

1. It is not fair on the restaurant to eat there knowing that you probably have a tummy bug.

2. If you are spotted by a colleague, it will look like you are taking the piss. Not that people can't go out when off sick, if appropriate. So meal out with a tummy bug would be off limits. Just as ice skating would be off limits if you were off work due to a broken ankle.

3. Your digestive system would probably benefit from a day of plain foods. Nothing spicy or too rich.

Rearrange. Would you really enjoy it anyway?

WorraLiberty Fri 11-Dec-15 10:12:04

YANBU

You need to keep yourself isolated anyway.

angelos02 Fri 11-Dec-15 10:12:23

YANBU. I'd expect to be sacked if I was spotted out in a restaurant when I'd phoned in sick. As a pp said, a quick pop to the shops for medicine is OK but other than that, you shouldn't be seen out and about.

FireCrotch Fri 11-Dec-15 10:15:27

When I was a hairdressing junior I called in sick (I'd had d&v during the night. It was the mid 90's and not everyone had a mobile phone. My bosses wife answered and I said I wouldn't be in but would try the next day to come in. She responded with a 'hmm'. If anything I felt worse the next day but went in. She launched at me accusing me of faking illness. Her basis for this was that when I called in she could hear the tv in the background when j called. hmm Apparently when you're off sick you sit staring at four walls all day. I spent so long on the loo with the runs and throwing up into paper sanitary bags that she started banging on the door threatening me with the sack. Her husband (my actual boss) removed her from the door. I left soon after when she accused me of stealing stock.

SolidGoldBrass Fri 11-Dec-15 10:16:03

YANBU simply because it's bad form to go to a restaurant when you have a stomach bug: you might well spread it round the place.

Daisysbear Fri 11-Dec-15 10:22:05

shock fire

diddl Fri 11-Dec-15 10:25:30

I'm with peggy

I don't think a day off automatically means no night out, although with a bad stomach I wouldn't want to be eating out that same evening.

mouldycheesefan Fri 11-Dec-15 10:34:15

Yes day off does automatically mean no night out.
I do remember sacking an employee who called in sick and then was photographed dancing in a club later. NB she already was in a disciplinary process for absence, this was the last straw.

AdoraBell Fri 11-Dec-15 10:34:33

YANBU

A colleague once pulled a sickie claiming upset stomach, went out that night and bumped into the boss in the restaurant. Boss was very pleasant and asked skiver colleague how she was feeling and pointedly made no mention of her having been off sick.

angelos02 Fri 11-Dec-15 10:35:53

diddl I disagree. I wouldn't risk going out in the evening if I'd been off sick from work during the day in case I was seen by someone that knew me at work. A night out would not be worth losing my job over.

Birdsgottafly Fri 11-Dec-15 10:36:51

Eat at home and meet up in a pub for a drink.

I agree with not going to a restaurant with a stomach bug, but it's fine to not be well enough for work, which involves getting up early, travelling and working, as opposed to sitting somewhere drinking.

diddl Fri 11-Dec-15 10:38:52

"Yes day off does automatically mean no night out."

Is that the law then or just your opinion?

leaningtoweroflego Fri 11-Dec-15 10:40:32

If you want to see her and feel up to it, how about you invite your friend over instead - but caution her it's at her own risk as you could still be infectious.

Or not if you don't fancy it!

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 11-Dec-15 10:42:15

I would never go out in the evening if I'd been off sick that day - I think it's just poor form and looks like you've been taking the mick. I had time off a few weeks ago with a really heavy cold and was completely paranoid about being spotted just nipping to the local Tesco Express for more tissues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now