Talk

Advanced search

Is this stingy or just odd?

(24 Posts)
ScarlettDarling Thu 10-Dec-15 23:32:33

A colleague of mine came in to work late today because her car hadn't started. She'd had to get two buses which had taken her well over an hour. She doesn't live too far away from me so I offered her a lift home, but she refused because she'd bought a return ticket for the bus.

I couldn't believe it...she'd rather spend more than an hour on the bus, waiting around in the freezing cold, rather than 'waste' the bus fare she'd already paid.

Stingy? Odd? Or AIBU for finding this strange?

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 10-Dec-15 23:34:45

Perhaps she'd actually overslept, driven to near work and blamed it on the car. If she'd got a lift home she would have had to leave the car behind.

ScOffasDyke Thu 10-Dec-15 23:34:56

Maybe she likes the bus!

ConceptOfBiscuits Thu 10-Dec-15 23:35:16

Maybe a polite way of saying she did not want to go with you/put you out your way?

Scarletforya Thu 10-Dec-15 23:35:56

Well perhaps she was looking forward to some quiet time on the bus. Maybe she's introverted and didn't want to make conversation or was looking forward to reading/listening to music.

Or maybe she had a secret meet up and didn't want you to know!

alltouchedout Thu 10-Dec-15 23:36:06

I prefer the bus to lifts. Bus time is my only time to myself!

elephantoverthehill Thu 10-Dec-15 23:37:19

Maybe she just liked the bus as a change of routine. Maybe she is frightened by your wreckless driving antics grin.

ScarlettDarling Thu 10-Dec-15 23:39:31

Hmmm, maybe. She's definitely not introverted, and usually loves a chat. She and I get on well...not bosom buddies, but certainly more than acquaintances...so I don't think that she didn't want to get in the car with me.

Perhaps she had some hidden agenda!

V strange!

evelynj Thu 10-Dec-15 23:39:36

I'd have got the bus if I had a return ticket-like to get my money's worth!

dilbert19912 Thu 10-Dec-15 23:39:43

I also like public transport, even half an hour alone to just not speak to anyone is lovely smile

ScarlettDarling Thu 10-Dec-15 23:40:31

elephant ! How very dare you suggest that my driving is reckless!! grin

dilbert19912 Thu 10-Dec-15 23:42:07

I bought a return somewhere only yesterday and a friend gave me a lift back, i was grateful and it was nice to see her but i was a bit mifffed to have wasted my tickets worth haha maybe im not wired right!

elephantoverthehill Thu 10-Dec-15 23:43:51

Sorry a bit of a pun there. That is why I put the 'W' in. However I have heard about your awesome handbrake turns. grin

RB68 Thu 10-Dec-15 23:53:14

weird logic I say - but maybe a polite way to say No or maybe she is going back somewhere different to home for some reason

cdtaylornats Thu 10-Dec-15 23:53:50

Perhaps she meets someone on the bus

bessiebumptious2 Fri 11-Dec-15 00:22:15

It's not stingy, it's just someone who is pretty independent and doesn't want to rely on someone else to get around - nothing wrong with that. She might be saving her neediness for when it's absolutely necessary. I know I'd be the same - I hate people doing me favours but I love doing them for other people!

chipmonkey Fri 11-Dec-15 00:23:49

Maybe she actually overslept and used the two buses as an excuse. So her car was actually parked outside and she didn't need the lift. But couldn't actually say that as you'd have found her out!

DeepBlueLake Fri 11-Dec-15 00:55:37

I would have taken the bus as I hate getting lifts as I feel like I am putting people out unless they are close friends / family.

I also love the tube as it's my quiet time, I can listen to music, read the daily fail etc. Can't do that sharing a car with a colleague.

LaLyra Fri 11-Dec-15 03:00:10

Maybe the issue with her car might be something she can't get fixed easily so she's saving your niceness for a day when she's short of time/it's pouring with rain and she can ask you without feeling like she's taking advantage too often?

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 11-Dec-15 09:18:32

I don't think it's strange at all. Sometimes the only time I have to relax is sitting on the bus, listening to my music and reading a book. Perhaps she enjoyed it.

BeanGirls Fri 11-Dec-15 09:21:30

I'd think it was a polite way of not wanting to take the lift with you.

caitlinohara Fri 11-Dec-15 09:36:32

Maybe she doesn't like you. Or maybe it's the only time of the day she gets to herself and she's got to an interesting bit in her book <projecting>

DannyFishcharge Fri 11-Dec-15 09:38:04

I probably would have taken the bus. I would feel forced to make conversation getting a lift with someone whereas I can sit quietly on the bus. She might be a secret introvert. We can hide it well!

Birdsgottafly Fri 11-Dec-15 10:09:23

I'm not driving due to ill health and I'm noticing all sorts that you miss when you drive.

I've done most of my Christmas shopping on C&C on my phone, on the bus.

She may have been going elsewhere and she definitely doesn't owe you any explanation.

Why go to the stingy/odd reason and even give it a second thought?

My DD is always offering me lifts that I don't want. Car drivers seem to see public transport as something dreadful, when it really isn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now