To ask for your tips on how to deal with a demoralising boss?

(3 Posts)
thinkingmakesitso Thu 10-Dec-15 21:43:00

He is draining the energy out of the department and the rest of us feel so powerless.

He makes frequent snide remarks designed to imply that we are inadequate/remiss in some way, but never clearly enough to call him on it. If an attempt at coming back at him is ever made, he can sulk or cut people down. He brags endlessly and exaggerates/ lies about his achievements and how hard he works. We all know it is bullshit as we work alongside him, but that doesn't stop making it hard to hear, especially as he seems to believe his own lies. For instance, he makes out he comes in earlier than he does and leaves later - even though some of us are there to see him come and go confused.

He recently had a serious complaint made about him, but it seems to have been 'watered down' by senior management and he continues to brag endlessly, even about the matter the complaint related to. I am chewing my tongue to bits.

He has taken delegation to a new level, while bragging about his work rate; it's infuriating.

It's a stressful job and his attitude makes it so much harder than it needs to be. How do we cope?

Mmmmcake123 Thu 10-Dec-15 21:52:38

For now I would keep a log of incidences. He sounds irritating and poor at his job but unless there is something more serious that's not enough to take higher. When a complaint comes up again you could then name things that have happened to senior management but if you do it too early you could come across as a bit petty

attheendoftheday Thu 10-Dec-15 22:37:23

Keep a log of incidents.

Back up verbal agreements with him with an email summarising what you've agreed so there's a paper trail.

Look for a new job.

I hung on for ages in a job I had previously liked with a shitty manager, it wasn't worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now