Talk

Advanced search

Children's haircut

(9 Posts)
WhoWantsABrew Thu 10-Dec-15 18:42:06

So the other day I had my daughters waist length hair cut, roughly 4 inches or so so still quite long.

My mum who has always hated having her hair cut has told her that she has ruined her hair and it looks awful and she shouldn't have cut it at all.

AIBU to think that this isn't an appropriate thing to say to an 8 year old. It's just hair!!

CruCru Thu 10-Dec-15 18:45:59

Yes, unlike fingers and toes, it grows back.

pigsDOfly Thu 10-Dec-15 18:52:10

It's not appropriate and very unkind to make her feel bad about herself.

Nataleejah Thu 10-Dec-15 20:11:53

Stupid woman

catfordbetty Thu 10-Dec-15 20:20:10

The only correct thing to say about someone's new hairdo - whether they're eight or eighty - is how much it suits them.

SpangleDragon Thu 10-Dec-15 20:22:54

i always say oh you look lovely, even if i hate it when someone gets a new haircut

i always think if i dont mention it, then they know i hate it

diddl Thu 10-Dec-15 20:27:53

So waist length hair now four inches shorter.

How in heaven's name does that even look any different??

You mum sounds horrible.

Dixiechickonhols Thu 10-Dec-15 20:30:12

i presume it was cut for a reason - your dd wanted it, it was getting raggy at the ends, so she could wash and style it more easily etc

I'd just reinforce this to DD what a sensible decision it was and how nice she looks and ignore Nana being silly.

VestalVirgin Thu 10-Dec-15 20:33:33

When I was 8 years old, my hair was about ear's length. My mother never would have bothered with taking care of waist length hair!

Telling a child that she looks "awful" is horrid! Okay, it is not okay to say something like this to adults, either, but to a grandchild?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now