Talk

Advanced search

Charity shop prices

(22 Posts)
tryharder100 Thu 10-Dec-15 17:50:46

My Daughter has had a massive growth spurt and needs some new clothes.

Money is really tight but managed to sell a few of her old bits like coats and boots etc on Gumtree so got a little bit to get her some essentials.

Thought I would try a few local charity shops as I like the idea of helping the charity too and believed these to be the cheapest option but they are so expensive. is this something that has changed recently?

I think I might need a trip to primark instead.

toobreathless Thu 10-Dec-15 18:10:54

They are cheap around us generally but I have heard this in other areas.

Ours have a bonkers pricing policy though that childrens/baby clothing is either 50p or £1, which is a lot for an old primark vest which IMO should be 20p. But then a new M+S snowsuit with tags is £1!

AnyoneButSanta Thu 10-Dec-15 18:18:02

Varies from shop to shop. The one I like has good quality stuff for only a shade less than new Primark prices, but I'd rather buy from them than Primark. But another one does regular "all kids' clothes a pound" days which is good for everything but especially brilliant for jeans and coats.

tryharder100 Thu 10-Dec-15 18:22:40

Maybe I need to have a look around a few others then x

LilQueenie Thu 10-Dec-15 18:22:43

Depends on the area and shop to be honest. A lot of shops price things according to ebay which is ridiculous as the price can he higher on ebay as the volume of people able to access the item is way higher than a shop in the street plus added fees and so on.You can definitely get some good bargains though. It may be worth travelling to a near city if possible and find some charity shops as the quality and quantity of clothing will be better.

AlpacaLypse Thu 10-Dec-15 18:25:29

Charity shops in naice areas tend to be more expensive, as do charity shops which are part of a big national chain, eg Oxfam, BHF.

Small local charity shops can still be bargainacious wonderlands!

Leeds2 Thu 10-Dec-15 18:26:12

I think you just have to be persistent, and keep looking through the stuff until you get what you want at a price you are happy to pay. Shop I used to volunteer in charged ridiculous prices, imo.

tryharder100 Sat 12-Dec-15 17:22:08

I went to a few more today and managed to get a few cheaper things so just need to keep looking around. x

wasonthelist Sat 12-Dec-15 17:30:01

We did a whole massive thread on this only recently -

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2523728-To-think-charity-shops-are-charging-too-much-and-are-losing-their-way?

tryharder100 Sat 12-Dec-15 17:36:19

Oh sorry, will have a look

x2boys Sat 12-Dec-15 18:04:39

Think it depends on the area there's a Barnardo's, near me that have really reasonably priced children's clothing nice stuff too from next etc but the area is far from affluent so if they tried to charge stupid prices they just wouldn't get customers.

findingmyfeet12 Sat 12-Dec-15 18:13:49

Although this may not be an option in winter, I've had some real bargains from car boot sales. Good quality items with very little wear and I've never paid more than £1 per item.

findingmyfeet12 Sat 12-Dec-15 18:14:30

Also, if you live near a big car boot sale you're more likely to find something suitable as there's so much choice.

Rememberallball Sat 12-Dec-15 21:12:27

Find out from charities if they have an 'outlet' type branch locally - we have each of a Barnardo's and Cancer Research here that take items from other branches and prices are lower - under £2 for tops, £3 for skirts & trousers or dresses, coats from £5. They also take local donations so you sometimes get designer items or stuff new with tags - I got a new with tags coat for £3 (originally £30) a couple of years back

springydaffs Sun 13-Dec-15 13:42:57

Charity shops my way are very expensive. The outlet shops are £5 per item.

We have a hospice here that has turned the shops very glitzy, aggressively marketing the retail side of fundraising. They sell the antique/vintage/retro online so there are no 'finds' to be had. No more rummaging around in tat. This approach has caught on with most charity shops in my city and if I want a good rummage I have to drive miles out to find an old-style charity shop.

Yy good causes and all that, absolutely. But when things are priced (much) higher than new you do feel they're taking the piss. Say anything and you get torn off a strip ime. The only retail business that has zero customer service - we're dogs if we complain.

mumofsnotbags Sun 13-Dec-15 13:52:50

I wont name names but I used to work as a manager for a charity shop up until a few years ago, through cost cutting and money pinching by the bosses we were eventually told to cut out all primark labels and charge double what we thought, we were also given a list of brand names and had to price things according to this list, so a used coast dress, covered in makeup and beads missing would be priced for nothing less than £29.99. all because of the label inside.

Primark stuff was priced at around the £5-£10 mark, cheaper to go to primark! I left in the end because it was getting ridiculous when they asked us to price kids clarks shoes at £9.99, scuffed to bits, if we didn't we'd get warnings. I walk past now and see it's become one of those "everything £1.99" charity shops grin.

Op try ebay, I refuse to buy designer clothes for ds but sometimes ill get him something second hand off ebay and have had some good bargains. Ted baker jeans and a jumper for less than a tenner.

maggiethemagpie Sun 13-Dec-15 13:58:38

If you buy decent makes off ebay and sell on ebay when your child has outgrown them you can probabably make most of your money back (less ebay fees and postage). Easier and cheaper than going to charity shops. I find Next sell particularly well on ebay.

findingmyfeet12 Sun 13-Dec-15 14:27:33

I prefer to buy lightly used things that are of good quality and were originally expensive than new things from a cheaper shop. I think they last much longer and work out much better value.

ElasticPants Sun 13-Dec-15 14:29:16

The shops near me vary. I've learnt which ones expect far too much for bobbly primark bits and which are worth popping into regularly. This week I found 4 brand new next jumpers still with tags on and a red baker top. All for under £10.

findingmyfeet12 Sun 13-Dec-15 14:35:16

In France we have sales where private individuals can sell only children's toys and clothes. They are like indoor car boot sales.

I've been to a few and they are amazing. Stacks of well looked after items usually for no more than 1€ per item of clothing.

Is there something similar in the UK?

TwilightRabbit Sun 13-Dec-15 14:44:44

Agree some shops are way too expensive - one of the ones in my town sometimes charges more than the item was new! We also have one of these 'vintage' charity shops, think it's Salvation Army - coats are upwards of 30 quid, and a denim jumpsuit (yes, don't judge!) I looked at was 40!
I've found the Heart Foundation one really good and well priced, without being stupidly cheap. The local one is beautifully clean and the staff are wonderful too - very friendly and helpful - pleasure to shop there.

AnyoneButSanta Sun 13-Dec-15 21:23:33

The U.K. equivalents are normally run by the National Childbirth Trust findingmyfeet. I'm well past that stage but in my day they were a highly efficient way to buy and sell nearly new baby gear - sellers normally charged whatever they wanted and the NCT either took a percentage or charged people for a table at a sale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now