Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or just petty

(67 Posts)
elf0508 Thu 10-Dec-15 14:38:33

My mum has asked me to give her my tv for my brother coming up for the holidays, as he wants to bring his PS4 I said she should just tell him not to bring it and spend time with family and she accused me of being selfish. I don't see why the golden child should get everything handed to him while I'm just there to sort out whatever might get in the way of said golden child geting what he wants..

Nabootique Thu 10-Dec-15 14:39:14

Is it a spare TV?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 10-Dec-15 14:39:52

Do you live at home? is the tv in your bedroom? Although, tbh, it makes no odds.
If he wants to play ps4, then he can get his own tv.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 10-Dec-15 14:40:00

Who paid for the TV?

SavoyCabbage Thu 10-Dec-15 14:42:57

Why doesn't she give him her own tv if she thinks he needs one.

Jackie0 Thu 10-Dec-15 14:49:01

I might lend him the Tv if he was a child but if he's visiting his mum he is likely to be an adult , so no I wouldn't be pandering to a grown man.
The only exception is if he intends the family to play together over Christmas , I'm thinking singstar or similar .

elf0508 Thu 10-Dec-15 14:51:50

I don't even live with my mum anymore! She just knows I have a tv in my room at my house. My brother will play his own games like mortal kombat etc for 10 hours at a time

SpangleDragon Thu 10-Dec-15 14:55:08

so have you said 'no' yet?

is this a tv you use? (even if i had a tv in a box in the loft, i wouldnt loan to my DM so my DB could visit and play games on it!!)

how long is he visiting for? is he bringing family? how old is he?

Fluffyears Thu 10-Dec-15 14:56:43

Tell them to sod off. It's your telly and is staying put.

steppemum Thu 10-Dec-15 14:57:59

if he wants to bring his ps4, he brings his own tv.

How strange to take your tv from your house to hers for him to use.

UNLESS the tv is sitting unused for 99% of the time.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 10-Dec-15 14:58:50

Wow - I was expecting you to say you live at home and your mum bought you the TV. But this...??? Just NO. How odd.
Who cares if you are being selfish. She can lend him her own TV.
Or is that NOT OK with her?

elf0508 Thu 10-Dec-15 14:58:57

Yeah it's in my bedroom with sky connected, my brother will be staying for five days and is 28, he doesn't have any kids
I don't have a great relationship with my mum as it is, just feel she's taking the mick by asking me

pinkyredrose Thu 10-Dec-15 14:59:41

Just say no! If he just wants to.play games for hours on end what's the point of him even being there?

elf0508 Thu 10-Dec-15 15:00:09

Not that she really asked me, more like told me. All she Said was "I need your tv because your brother is bringing his ps4"

ThumbWitchesAbroad Thu 10-Dec-15 15:01:10

Oh given all that info, then HELL no!
Seriously.
What is your mother on? Glue?
No. Tell her he either brings one with him, or learns to do without his precious games, or she can go and buy him one herself.

Can't believe she thinks you're the selfish one. shock

Strangertides1 Thu 10-Dec-15 15:01:33

I get it. My youngest brother is 43, lives at home with my mum and gets away with doing bugger all, even through she's terminal ill! So much so I've had to hired a cleaner for her. Just say No, don't encourage the spoilt behaviour

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 10-Dec-15 15:02:51

shock

You don't even live with her????

shock

I think the best response is
"Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha... No."

Hygge Thu 10-Dec-15 15:06:42

YANBU or petty.

If a 28 year old man can't survive without his PS4 for a few days there's something wrong.

Tell her no, don't justify why.

elf0508 Thu 10-Dec-15 15:07:05

This is what my mother does, don't mean to drip feed but she asked or again told me to go and buy a certain cereal for my brother because she doesn't want to pay £2.79 for it
I did say no I'm sorry but we do use the tv, she said oh c'mon stop being so selfish and think of your brother. Then I said well he could have it during the day but I would like it back at night (love watching tv in bed) her reply was "goodness sake you're being rediculous you know he doesn't wake up until 3 (because he's up late playing games) so what's the point in that, don't upset your brother"

BathtimeFunkster Thu 10-Dec-15 15:09:27

Don't give her the TV.

Don't buy the cereal.

JumpingJack56 Thu 10-Dec-15 15:13:44

My reply 'but your happy to upset me. It's my tv and we use it so unfortunately no we can't lend it to db despite your asking. Also it's not a case of me being selfish for wanting to use my own belongings, as much as its nice to think of my db at some point i should also be considered so please don't ask again as my answer won't change'.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 10-Dec-15 15:14:55

I think you need to start standing up to your mother.
'No way mum. I use the TV and it's MINE. Give him yours for 5 days if it's that important'
'So you don't want to spend £2.79 on your OWN CHILD but you expect me to do it? No way mum, not gonna happen'
Tick done!!!!

StrawberryTeaLeaf Thu 10-Dec-15 15:15:54

Just say no. She's the one being ridiculous.

I'm guessing he's always spoilt (?)

fuzzpig Thu 10-Dec-15 15:18:26

Blimey

I was thinking, that parenting is setting up your brother for serious issues when he grows up...

...and then saw he is 28 shock

hellsbellsmelons Thu 10-Dec-15 15:18:50

Don't try to justify your NO.
Don't back down on this one.
This could be the start of you being more assertive with your DM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now