Talk

Advanced search

Should I query this job description?

(9 Posts)
maybeanotherdaysoon Wed 09-Dec-15 21:39:40

I was recently offered a new job as a teacher of small groups in a school. The job description stated that the job title would be Booster Group Teacher and everything in the job description was in accordance with that. After interview, the school sent me the documentation and they want me to sign the job description. However, they've sent me a job description for a general classroom teacher and it's a lot different to the role I applied for.

Obviously a classroom teacher's role is a lot different from a non class based teacher of small groups. WIBU to query this with the school and ask them to send me the original job description that was supplied with the application pack for me to sign? I don't want to seem difficult but I think I should ask them about it before signing it.

IWasHereBeforeTheHack Wed 09-Dec-15 21:42:57

Yes definitely query it. Probably just an oversight due to poor communication within the organisation.
Actually would be weird not to query it ... you'd turn up on day 1 not quite knowing which job you were expected to do!
Congratulations BTW.

maybeanotherdaysoon Wed 09-Dec-15 21:49:44

Thank you smile
Yes, it's very odd as they've discussed the job with me several times. I'm hoping it's just an admin error.

FishWithABicycle Wed 09-Dec-15 22:05:55

Much more likely to be an admin error than anything else. No one is going to think it weird to query it.

JumpandScore Wed 09-Dec-15 22:15:17

I think they want to appoint you as a "teacher" and the vacancy ATM is for the booster groups. Next year they might need you to take a class. AFAIK, there isn't a booster group teacher role, certainly the teachers doing that kind of job in my schools have had standard teacher contracts/job descriptions.

maybeanotherdaysoon Wed 09-Dec-15 22:34:45

I thought that may be a possibility but after working as a class teacher for a few years, I really want a non class based role as I was finding class based teaching very draining and stressful. I explained that to them and that's why they assured me it would only be a booster group teaching role. That's why I'm reluctant to sign, as I don't want to return to class based teaching. I hope they don't have that in mind but it is possible confused

JumpandScore Wed 09-Dec-15 22:39:48

With school finances the way they are, I'd say it's highly unlikely that they'll be able to give any commitment to booster groups happening at all beyond next April.

Also, IME, it doesn't do teachers any good at all to do small group work for very long. Makes them lazy grin At our school they are rotated regulary, to give valued but exhausted class teachers a break and to remind the booster group teachers what it's all about.

JumpandScore Wed 09-Dec-15 22:40:53

...beyond April 2017

Mmmmcake123 Thu 10-Dec-15 01:22:04

I would assume it's to make sure you are paid at the right level for your qualifications. There probably isn't a standard position for the role you have applied for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now