Talk

Advanced search

To ask grandparents for our childrens Xmas presents to be under our tree, so that they can open them on Xmas morning

(194 Posts)
Kanga59 Wed 09-Dec-15 20:24:00

Not all of the presents that they have purchased. Just the ones that are on my ds's xmas lists (I have two boys) because these are the ones thatcthey have asked for in their letters to Santa. And I would like the requested presents to be here on Xmas morning as if delivered by Santa.

My OH thinks that his parents would not want to do that because they will like to see the children open their presents when we visit them on Boxing Day.

We haven't asked the grandparents yet as can't decide if it's reasonable to or not. Thoughts?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 09-Dec-15 20:25:34

YABU.

Santa brings stocking fillers, grandparents deserve to enjoy the pleasure their gifts will bring. And having them open them on Boxing Day spreads the magic out a bit longer as well.

Clayhead Wed 09-Dec-15 20:26:59

YANU

Let the grandparents see them open the presents on Boxing Day - it'll spread it out nicely too!

crumblybiscuits Wed 09-Dec-15 20:27:03

YABU you haven't bought them, why should GPs miss out on the look on their faces when they open them after they've paid for them? And kids don't need everything right that second, they can wait for a day for some of the things from their list.

AwfulBeryl Wed 09-Dec-15 20:27:11

I wouldn't ask, although I don't know if yabu or not.
I have just said in the past that FC the main man had spoken to the GPs and chatted about presents so knew what to get and what not to get for them.

MaudGonneMad Wed 09-Dec-15 20:27:28

YABU

CocktailQueen Wed 09-Dec-15 20:28:31

Yabu. Up to gift givers what they do, and grandparents deserve to see gc open their pressies.

ineedaholidaynow Wed 09-Dec-15 20:28:35

Could you say that Santa delivered the presents to grandparents?

nocabbageinmyeye Wed 09-Dec-15 20:28:35

Huh? YABU, if they are on the list and you want them there Christmas morning then you but then otherwise the buyer gets to give them, you are being very cheeky if you ask

silverduck Wed 09-Dec-15 20:28:35

YABU, grandparents bought them, they get to give them. "Santa didn't bring them because he knew granny and grandpa were getting x for you".

We very soon explained that parents talk to Santa about what to bring and give him the money otherwise how do you explain that some kids get nothing and others get totally spoilt?

CheeseAtFourpence Wed 09-Dec-15 20:28:43

Sorry but I think YABU. Only we buy Santa's presents for that very reason. Our parents would be really upset not to see the gifts they have bought being opened.

I think you'll have to come up with a story that Santa has bought some of them but told your parents what else was on the list?

Pippa12 Wed 09-Dec-15 20:29:06

I would say YABU, sorry! I'm sure you've bought them lots of presents that your children will love- spread the joy!

oneoldmare Wed 09-Dec-15 20:30:21

I do think that would be a little selfish of you and it does children no harm at all not to receive "everything" on their list.

MontyYouTerribleCunt Wed 09-Dec-15 20:30:38

Agree with all pps I'm afraid - YABU. I was going to suggest the same as ineedaholiday; can't you tell them Santa delivered them to gps' house?

MTPurse Wed 09-Dec-15 20:30:42

YABU.

If Your dc wanted certain gifts from Santa then you should have bought them and not asked the GP to.

morechocolates Wed 09-Dec-15 20:30:51

YABU - let the grandparents have the joy of seeing them being opened - mean not to! Christmas isn't about getting all the stuff on their lists.

Snossidge Wed 09-Dec-15 20:31:13

YABU

Kids put things in their lists. I buy one or two from Father Christmas, one or two from us, and then give the others out as suggestions to family members.

My children don't expect to get everything on their list.

Don't make up extra lies about how presents arrive. Children enjoy the whole Santa thing but they should see presents come from parents and family too.

Gatehouse77 Wed 09-Dec-15 20:31:42

So, from my perspective YABU because in our house Father Christmas brings the stockings for the children and 1 family present (which is usually a board game, DVD or some such)

However, I have come across all combinations. One family I know would put ALL presents in an enormous sack for the kids from everyone, which FC delivered.

MsJamieFraser Wed 09-Dec-15 20:32:09

YABU but not because Santa just brings stocking fillers hmm

Each family does Santa differently, and Santa in my household brings some presents including stocking fillers, so some presents are left over for family and friends to buy.

If your dh parents have purchased the present then I think they should be able to see them open them on Xmas day.

hazeyjane Wed 09-Dec-15 20:32:45

Completely unreasonable, not everything on the list has to come from santa, and seems really rude to the grandparents not to let them hand over and be the givers of the gifts.

Tokelau Wed 09-Dec-15 20:33:11

I agree with everyone else, YABU. Of course the GPs want to give the presents to the children and watch them open them! As far as we are concerned, Father Christmas only brings the stockings, but family and friends buy the presents.

LaurieMarlow Wed 09-Dec-15 20:34:17

Yabvu. GPs shouldn't miss out on seeing their faces.

Santa moves in mysterious ways wink

EponasWildDaughter Wed 09-Dec-15 20:34:36

Have you done a stocking with some of the presents DCs asked for from Santa OP? To be opened at yours on xmas morning?

If so then thats plenty on xmas morning. If there's more they wanted you can say that santa didn't get x,y,z because he heard that someone else may have bought them .... (adding excitement that DGPs have bought them).

museumum Wed 09-Dec-15 20:34:39

I'm torn actually. I would like my ds to open his presents from gps with them on Boxing Day.

But it would be awful if your ds was disappointed spending all Christmas Day thinking he wasn't going to get one of the main things he really wanted from Santa sad

WeThreeMythicalKings Wed 09-Dec-15 20:36:04

YABU. Grandparents aren't Santa, parents are. If GPs buy presents then they want to see the DC's faces when they open them. It's very mean to try to persuade them otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now