Talk

Advanced search

To hate what he says but he has a right to say it

(116 Posts)
Tamponlady Wed 09-Dec-15 20:11:42

I think Donald trump is a dick but he has a right to be ones huge one also this shit with the furey guy

This is becoming like 1981 the thought police

People don't like gays and they are racist if we don't tackle these people and simply try to shut them up they feed of there sence of grievance

You allow people to dig their own grave when you shut people up some may wonder why maybe have have somthing to say the chattering class don't want to hear let them talk and we all realise it's bull shit

Nick griffin is a prime example for years people were not allowing the BNP a platform the Bbc were lambasted for letting him on its the best thing they ever done they emploded before the fateful night there base was growing because no one heard them some actually thought they were respectable

The personality of the year award will sort itself out if people think
fury is a twant they won't vote for him

I hate what you say but defend you right to say it you don't stop people being anti gay or rasict because you keep them quiet

Mr trump wants to ban Muslims from the USA because he dosnet like what they stand for so in turn we want to ban him because we don't like what he stands for let him come and we can tell him what a fuck wit he is

Tamponlady Wed 09-Dec-15 20:12:43

Sorry for the spelling btw

SolidGoldBrass Wed 09-Dec-15 20:19:54

I agree with you. Particularly about Griffin - letting him appear on Question Time really did finish him off as a 'serious' political prospect: there had been so much flapping about how dangerously charming and articulate he was, up until his appearance. When he showed everyone he was a smirking, dimwitted wierdo with the 'charisma' of a dead dog's cock.
Trump is also a vicious, stupid blowhard who makes more of an idiot of himself every time he opens his mouth,

Tamponlady Wed 09-Dec-15 20:38:06

we need to allow people to state their views openly no matter how offensive we find them other wise what are we fighting for

When you shut those up who you disagree with

You become the worst despot dictator

Flashbangandgone Wed 09-Dec-15 20:46:23

YANBU

Totally agree with you. Some can be very illiberal at seeking to promote their liberal values.

Controlling what views people can and can't think and express is the very essence of fascism.... It's depressingly ironic when those who purport to be champions of liberal values then seek to exercise that control!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 09-Dec-15 20:48:09

Yanbu, I agree.

Tamponlady Wed 09-Dec-15 20:53:28

And I say al this as a black women I actually feel much better with people who state their hateful views at least I know were I stand

I often find the worst people are the passive aggressive rasicits who won't ever utter their views in public but get behind closed doors or in a position of power and off they quietly go

Arcadia Wed 09-Dec-15 20:58:02

I agree to an extent except ther he is in a position of power and has a public platform therefore is this not crossing the line to inciting racial hatred? If someone said it in the pub you'd think what a dick, whatever, but this could stir up racial tensions and violence?

wasabipeanut Wed 09-Dec-15 20:58:23

I agree. Free speech unfortunately entails allowing people to spout utter bollocks.

If it's "free speech but" then it isn't free - it's a privilege granted by an authority and in order to be allowed to speak your words have to fit into certain perameters. Dangerous territory. You can't have degrees of freedom.

pictish Wed 09-Dec-15 21:04:56

basically

SanityClause Wed 09-Dec-15 21:05:41

I agree.

I think this trend for "no platforming" people is very worrying.

People don't have a right to go through their life never being offended. Of course, they will think less of those who do offend them, though.

Besides, Trump is comedy gold. Have a look at #TrumpFacts.

witsender Wed 09-Dec-15 21:07:28

Agreed Pictish. He can say what he likes without fear of death or imprisonment. Doesn't mean he has to get a public space to air them or any accolades.

M1nniedriver Wed 09-Dec-15 21:09:08

The problem is we have free speech to a point And we can voice our views and opinions. If someone said 'I don't think we should let black people work in jobs above minimum wage' then okay, your an absolute prick but it's your right to express that opinion. The problem comes when racist prick with these opinions is convincing others to think like he does and may be in a position of power to carry out his beliefs!! Scary times!

derxa Wed 09-Dec-15 21:11:01

Tamponlady I've been struggling with these words all day. We live in a democracy ,thank God.

LegoRuinedMyFinances Wed 09-Dec-15 21:11:08

But in this country what Trump is saying could be construed as racial hatred which is a crime.

It's fine for Trump to be a dick - I agree completely but if things are illegal, then no harm in pointing out so, and it normally means that actually those things shouldn't be said in the public domain.

It would be easier if we could give the wankers a badge - but I doubt they'd wear them.

BanningTheWordNaice Wed 09-Dec-15 21:12:00

1984*

Tamponlady Wed 09-Dec-15 21:12:54

What happens when you ban people is eveyone ends up saying nothing people then say what they think people want to hear weather they believe it or not the world will be like loose women eveyone seconed guessing what they say in fear not to offend be banded from the uk

BanningTheWordNaice Wed 09-Dec-15 21:14:28

Otherwise I totally agree. Annoyingly Katie Hopkins made a fool out of the students who walked out of her talk. It was free publicity for her!

witsender Wed 09-Dec-15 21:15:25

There does have to be a line. Banning an entire religion from a country steps over that for me. Replace the word Muslim with Jew, or women, or black, or gay etc and the picture would be very different.

LegoRuinedMyFinances Wed 09-Dec-15 21:17:16

While it would be nice if everyone would treat Trump like the odious little toad he is, there are some people with questionable intellect who are lapping his crap up.

He is actively promoting hate of a whole religious group. And people support him. I'm all for free speech but that's taking it a bit far.

Tamponlady Wed 09-Dec-15 21:22:24

Your either free or not Donald trip didn't say I want eveyone to kills Muslims or death to Muslims

Fury linked gays with kiddy fiddlers

They are both fuck wits they have the right to be so just like I have to right to say they are duck wits

Tbh I don't think what he's saying should be a crime in the uk it's good to no the fuckwits are as to avoid them

WoodHeaven Wed 09-Dec-15 21:24:42

Yes on pap are I agree with you.

In reality, when things are said often enough, they end up feeling like they are a reality even when they are not.

Eg Trumps said that Muslims were celebrating the fall of the twin towers and that he had seen that.
Reality is that people there at the time can confirm its not the truth.
But he is says that (or similar comments) it slowly drip feeds and it becomes the truth. Especially when people are already ready to believe all that because they are scared (or made the believe they should be).

Freedom of speech is great but it has some downsides too. That why you need limits to it.

Tamponlady Wed 09-Dec-15 21:25:49

So are we now saying we shut people up because some will agree

Then we're back to dictators

Bar children and vulnerable adults with special needs etc grown adults should be allowed to listen to any dick they like they can lap up the shit and see who far that's gets them in the real world

witsender Wed 09-Dec-15 21:27:11

He can say whatever he likes. He just doesn't get to have an airing, or get to say it without reasonable consequences.

pictish Wed 09-Dec-15 21:29:35

He can say what he likes...doesn't mean I have to listen. We can all decide collectively not to listen. We can all say "Do fuck off Donald." and mean it.

We don't owe him a platform whatsoever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now