Talk

Advanced search

to think this is ridiculous Christmas card etiquette ?

(119 Posts)
rubymallorywhite Wed 09-Dec-15 19:00:13

I don't really do Christmas cards,
The odd one to far flung relatives & close family.

Picked my daughter up today from nursery & the nursery assistant is oh don't forget this...

To L,
Love H

My eyes nearly fell out my head.

She's 2.5!!!!

Nursery girl says well I can give you a list of them all, or the ones L plays with most (can't just single some out?)
Me: How many are there ?
Nursery girl: over 30
Me: is it not a ballache handing them out ?
Nursery girl: We'll just pop them in trays.

AIBU to think this is fucking insane writing out over 30 Christmas cards to TODDLERS?

Fair doos when they're in a class of school chums but TODDLERS.

I'll get her to make one for the whole class... One... To them all,
At a push.

Holy festive fuckballs.

Samcro Wed 09-Dec-15 19:00:59

aww its sweet

Mysteryfla Wed 09-Dec-15 19:02:22

It's not sweet, it's absolutely rediculous.

rubymallorywhite Wed 09-Dec-15 19:02:50

I'm probably going to end up writing out 30 odd fecking Christmas cards now.
Sense of duty & that ...

rubymallorywhite Wed 09-Dec-15 19:03:12

But if I start ... WHERE DOES IT STOP?

FellOffMyUnicorn Wed 09-Dec-15 19:03:21

Do it or don't do it, but don't be sneery about other people doing it

I don't do Christmas cards at all but don't look down on people that do

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Wed 09-Dec-15 19:03:36

My dds preschool gives out a list of all the children and the staff. All 47 of them.

ghnocci Wed 09-Dec-15 19:03:46

I thought exactly the same when DD was at preschool and she started getting them. Seemed absolutely ridiculous. But then I saw how much pleasure she got from receiving them and having them in her bedroom, so I had to reciprocate.

Sharoncatastrophe Wed 09-Dec-15 19:03:54

I think its sweet too- I wouldn't reciprocate if I didn't want to though. Who gets annoyed at receiving a good wish card?

dementedpixie Wed 09-Dec-15 19:04:39

You will have it for years to come at school so I'd get used to it! At nursery we just did to the children in their group so maybe 9 children. Primary school tends to be whole class card writing

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 09-Dec-15 19:05:54

It's sweet!

There is an end to it.....my 15 year old doesn't write Christmas cards now grin. Just another 12.5 years OP

rubymallorywhite Wed 09-Dec-15 19:06:52

I am not sneering about it !
It's cute, the kid is well chuffed with her wee Christmas card, but having to get a list cause you don't know the kids from Adam & writing out 30 odd cards from a 2.5 year old strikes me as bonkers!

It it's one of these things I need to do to stop my 2.5 year old being ostracised for her nursery / school career then FINE but the thought never entered my head !
That's why I was stunned.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Wed 09-Dec-15 19:08:17

Tell her dad to do it

CwtchMeQuick Wed 09-Dec-15 19:08:37

Ds is 3.5. We wrote about 20 yesterday. He's sent cards to the neighbours and some friends at preschool. I don't generally do Christmas cards but he loved doing them and it kept him sat still for 20mins

scratchandsniff Wed 09-Dec-15 19:09:25

We had the same last year. I wasn't going to bother and then felt a bit mean. DS has come home from nursery today with the first few. This year at 3 years old he's really into it and excited to open them and line them up on the shelf. I bought 40 mini cards in a cheap card shop today for 99p. It is a bit of a ball ache, but only once a year.

rubymallorywhite Wed 09-Dec-15 19:09:36

It needs to be one to the whole class or one to every kid,
I can't / won't single out particular kids. That's nae right.

ImperialBlether Wed 09-Dec-15 19:16:43

Why don't you write "Love from Your Child's Name" in all the cards and ask the staff to put them in the drawers? No need to say who they're to - the child knows who he/she is!

rubymallorywhite Wed 09-Dec-15 19:17:46

That is a cracking idea .....

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 09-Dec-15 19:18:35

Don't forget to put chocolate coins in the cards wink

seafoodeatit Wed 09-Dec-15 19:19:28

DS did Christmas cards at the childminders/nursery but there were only 6 other kids there, he loved opening them. You're not obliged to send the cards I gather? you could simply say no thank you, I'm not quite sure it deserves such passionate rage.

abbsismyhero Wed 09-Dec-15 19:19:51

you need a stamp love from (insert name here) i did this one year got it over with in seconds!

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Wed 09-Dec-15 19:19:52

lol at Jareth.

Or you could put lots of glitter in them!

rubymallorywhite Wed 09-Dec-15 19:20:02

I'm so torn ..

I want to do the done thing but it seems so silly.

She is affa chuffed with her card, no matter I don't have the foggiest idea who H is.

rubymallorywhite Wed 09-Dec-15 19:21:36

I'm missing the parts where I was sneery or ragey.....

I would say more confused!

Stone the crows, deduct Mum points for me but I had no idea it was the done thing for toddlers to send Christmas cards to their wee toddler peers!

TeenAndTween Wed 09-Dec-15 19:22:30

You can single out particular kids.
Find out who the 3 or 4 are she plays with most and do cards for them.

My rule is less than half or all.

Same rule for parties.

(You just wait for reception and the one upmanship of some children being able to write beautiful cards, when yours can only just about write their name smile . You just know some parents are looking in all the cards to see who can write nicely )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now