Advanced search

Having issues with a neighbor downstairs making up complaints

(21 Posts)
troubleds Wed 09-Dec-15 17:45:38

Yes i have posted about this before and i have name changed

I have an elderly neighbor male downstairs who has been making up complaints about me since i been here, the only reason he is doing it is because i wont talk to him. I wont talk to him because he is nasty bitter and homophobic.

he use to knock on my door because i had no flooring, he knew this as when i first met him i invited him in to show him and said sorry i will get carpet soon, he has since used this against me.
He also used to to weird things like follow me to the end of the road and shout at me when in the garden.

He then kept banging on my door nearly everyday to complain even when i laid 11mm underlay an carpet. When knocked on my door to complain, when i was in bed, my baby was sleeping ect I started to ignore him so he would talk about me to whoever will listen, even the post man, and complain to my housing association.

He has had recorders in his flat which have recorded nothing.

I had a meeting with the management who inspected my flat and saw i had carpet, underlay and slippers.

I have spoken to the manager today who has claimed he is "at breaking point" because im dragging things across the floor (he obviously said this as he hasnt been in my flat and doesnt know i have carpet) and the manager told him she has been in my flat and how can i be dragging anything, its carpeted

he then said i was slamming the living room door and again the manager told him i have no door on the living room

so he then claimed i was slamming the windows

i said to her how can you not see this isnt made up?
the fact he claimed i was slamming a door that doesnt exist and dragging furniture on carpet like its obvious!

she then started saying how he is elderly and unwell and i said i dont care that doesnt give him a right to harrass me he is making up shit because i wont speak to him (sounds harsh but i jus dont care anymore)
she also mentioned how he said he was close witht he last tenant who lived here and i told her can you not see this is WHY he is doing this, because he wants to be my friend but im not interested. This man made my life HELL from the day i moved in, i took out a £700 loan which was high interest (and im still paying off) JUST to cover the floor so he will stop complaining and he is still complaining

Can i do anything about this? isnt there some law about making up false complaints?
the fact about the door and dragging on carpet just proved he is lying
i cannot tiptoe around he wasnt COMPLETE SILENCE
The only reason the HA are entertaining him is because he is old

some of you may think im being harsh but you dont understand the stress this has caused me, i came here for peace, i had a baby when i left an abusive husband who left me in debt now im in more debt taking out a loan to carpet the flat and still this man wont leave me alone.

Snossidge Wed 09-Dec-15 17:48:31

Have you complained officially to the HA about him harassing you?

I would also speak to the police and ask them to warn him about his behaviour.

troubleds Wed 09-Dec-15 17:52:58

i spoke to the police as i had him on camera shouting at me and they said they can arrest him but i said no, i just want it noted down they said they will knock on his door to just have a chat with him but he didnt answer to them and i told them to just leave it.
This man is just unstable i complained to them but they told me harassment is a police matter.
I have agreed to mediation though, im sure his request will be for me to tiptoe around like a mouse.

I should also add he complained about my baby crying.

TwoSmellyDogs Wed 09-Dec-15 17:53:12

What advice were you given on your previous threads?

troubleds Wed 09-Dec-15 17:55:10

i complained to the housing association i mean

they also said that he has been here 5years with no complaints

Narp Wed 09-Dec-15 17:59:06

I think it's very possible that either he has a mental health problem or dementia. Some people with dementia can become quite paranoid, and have auditory hallucinations. They might hear a noise and interpret it as something else.

What occurs to me is to contact The Alzheimer's disease Society, or Help Age and ask for some advice. I think that in some areas there is some liaison between police and Mental Health Services for the Elderly.

So you could contact the Community Police on the non-emergency number for advice

Ughnotagain Wed 09-Dec-15 17:59:19

I'd contact the police again. You can't live like this. Age is no excuse for behaving like a massive wanker (unless he is ill and it affects his behaviour).

Narp Wed 09-Dec-15 18:04:22

Sorry, not Help Age. I meant Age UK

Snossidge Wed 09-Dec-15 18:05:01

OK, so contact the police again but this time don't tell them to leave it.

expatinscotland Wed 09-Dec-15 18:10:59

I'd contact the police and lodge a complaint about his harrassing you. We had a neighbour like this and he is officially branded a nuisance.

NeedsAsockamnesty Wed 09-Dec-15 18:12:29

If he is unwell and needs help he is unlikely to get it unless the right people know this often means that his issues need to be at a certain level.

Not following through with a police complaint is likely to hinder him obtaining the correct help

expatinscotland Wed 09-Dec-15 18:14:23

Yep, we got the police involved and recorded the neighbour abusing us.

NeedsAsockamnesty Wed 09-Dec-15 18:15:14

And chances are the reason no previous complaint has happened is because people have the same thoughts about the matter as you do

troubleds Wed 09-Dec-15 18:33:41

twosmelly, last time i posted this was when i first moved in which was april

troubleds Wed 09-Dec-15 18:42:53

i think he is mentally ill as well, when the police came here they told me they searched on him and there are issues but then said he isnt known to police so im assuming by that comment they meant he has mental health issues which is why they insisted they will speak to him and see if he is okay.
I didnt want him arrested as i just thought he may get bored eventually but these made up complaints just made me really upset.
im going to see what goes on during mediation, will probably have a chat with police to and see or one of the charities.

ToadsforJustice Wed 09-Dec-15 19:13:54

He sounds like he has the beginnings of dementia to me. You need to get him arrested. The police will start the process of referral to agencies that can help him. He probably won't listen to reason at mediation, so don't be disappointed if that doesn't work.

He won't change. He may get worse. Call the police the next time he does anything to upset you. Remember, you cannot reason with the unreasonable.

MardleBum Tue 17-May-16 08:45:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Gide Tue 17-May-16 08:54:08

Complain to the police, but this may escalate his behaviour. The police can't just 'have a word', they will need to follow this up and go forward with a complaint if you want them to do something.

FishWithABicycle Tue 17-May-16 08:56:03

Did you post that on the wrong thread Mardle? Neither of the names you mention appear on this 5 month old thread.

MardleBum Tue 17-May-16 08:58:03

Yes I did sorry!

MardleBum Tue 17-May-16 08:58:40

And I accidentally resurrected a zombie thread in the process blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now