Talk

Advanced search

Don't know how to deal with friend hospitalized with mental health issues

(4 Posts)
Evelight Wed 09-Dec-15 16:09:10

Hi- I posted this in Mental health but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there, so posting a link here in the hope of having some discussion about this, which has been affecting me over the past fortnight.

TL:DR: A not-very-close friend is in the hospital due to some mental health problems. I have been visiting her, but feel I can't do so any more. Details in the link.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/feeling_depressed/2525482-Need-some-support-and-advice-on-how-to-deal-with-friend-currently-hospitalized-with-mental-issues

Senpai Wed 09-Dec-15 16:22:53

Hmm... That's rough.

She obviously is still in psychosis and needs medication. If she's on it it's going to take time. She's detached from reality right now.

But just because she's sick doesn't mean you can't put up boundaries. You don't have to visit everyday. When I had a severe anxiety disorder a few years ago, the thing that helped me the most was people just treating me normally.

You don't have to humor her paranoid ramblings. It's probably best if you don't, try to change the subject if you can. You'll have to be blunt though, when you're fixated on something like that, social cues don't register. Bring in a simple board game like bananagrams or have lunch and talk about current events or what you're doing (that's not work related).

Most importantly, don't give more than you're able to. It's fine to detach and take a break. If you can't handle being around her, take a break. Mentally ill people are fucking exhausting. It's fine to send her cards instead to let her know you're thinking of her.

x2boys Wed 09-Dec-15 16:23:52

If just posted on the thread in mental health I, m a mental health nurse .

Evelight Wed 09-Dec-15 16:30:56

Thanks for the feedback. Other people suggested cards also, so I might do that over the next week or so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now