Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that at five foot four inches tall the perfect trousers for me are 'short'

(78 Posts)
ridingsixwhitehorses Wed 09-Dec-15 11:55:05

I mean I'm national bloody average. Shouldn't regular length be the right one?

M48294Y Wed 09-Dec-15 11:57:07

Which shop?

I am 5'2" and have to buy regular in M&S, and lots of other shops actually. Short are all, without fail, ankle swingers on me. Perhaps I've got a strangely disproportionate body!

WhataRacquet Wed 09-Dec-15 11:57:14

I find the same but people are taller than they used to be so the average has probably changed.

mmgirish Wed 09-Dec-15 11:57:22

I completely agree! I'm the same height as you and was shocked recently that the best ones for me were 'short' too. I used to be a regular...maybe we're shrinking?

PaulAnkaTheDog Wed 09-Dec-15 11:57:30

What a strange thing to be annoyed at! confused

OddSocksHighHeels Wed 09-Dec-15 11:57:51

It seems to depend where you shop. I'm 5"1 and mostly buy regular length because there are more options that way and they fit me fine.

Or it could be that you have a longer body and shorter legs despite being an average height overall?

VagueIdeas Wed 09-Dec-15 11:58:48

I'm the same height and consider myself short.

Personally, I'm always glad when I can find jeans that don't need to be taken up, however they're labelled!

CastaDiva Wed 09-Dec-15 12:00:08

Doesn't it depend on the length of your legs, surely? I'm 5 ft 6", so not much taller than you, but I often have to buy the longer-length trousers in some ranges, because I have unusually long legs and a short-ish torso.

Stratter5 Wed 09-Dec-15 12:00:13

I'm 5'9 and need a long. I'd consider you short. 5'6 is average, I thought.

angelos02 Wed 09-Dec-15 12:00:36

Same as all women's sizing. I am currently wearing a size 10 top, 16 trousers and a size 8 coat! Just depends on the shop.

almondpudding Wed 09-Dec-15 12:01:06

Maybe you have short legs? What leg measurement are you?

I would assume 30-32 inches was regular, but I don't know.

almondpudding Wed 09-Dec-15 12:01:46

5 foot 4 is average female height in the UK.

TriJo Wed 09-Dec-15 12:01:55

I'm 5'5" and have a relatively long torso and short legs - I generally buy a short leg in bootcut or flared jeans but a regular in skinny and straight leg styles.

TaliZorah Wed 09-Dec-15 12:02:26

Probably you have short legs. I'm 5"7/8 and have long legs, one of the reasons I don't wear trousers is because they're all too short

iwillbemrsminty Wed 09-Dec-15 12:03:39

I'm with you on this OP! My last so many pairs of trousers/jeans have had to be short.... Formally regular! confused

Gruntfuttock Wed 09-Dec-15 12:07:32

It's your inside leg measurement that's relevant, rather than your overall height. I'm 5'6" (used to be 5'7", but I've shrunk with old age blush) and I need a 33" inside leg measurement i.e. long length trousers and jeans. Note, they're not labelled 'tall' but 'long'. In the same way the 'short' on the label isn't calling you 'short'. We're all of different proportions (some people taller than me will have a shorter leg length) and it's silly to get offended by a label indicating inside leg measurement!

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Wed 09-Dec-15 12:11:05

Surely it depends on the length of your leg though.

I'm tall but am blessed with "long body short leg" so in trousers regular is normally okay on me but for dresses I need to go to the tall section.

Anyway, don't think it's worth getting annoyed about!

Blacktealeaves Wed 09-Dec-15 12:12:08

I am 5'6" and find myself at best average, often feel short. I find a lot of women are taller than me, more than half of those I know.

I also find the trousers they sell in many shops (the ones where they only have one length) to be too long. I usually need a 30" trouser, 31" jean, and alot of shops only sell 32".

However, this slightly reminds me of a conversation my mad great aunt started up as to what length is "short" so am going to back away slowly...

Just buy what fits you is my advice!

ouryve Wed 09-Dec-15 12:12:32

I'm the same height and have short legs (and arms) too.

Conversely, nothing is long enough in the body for me.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 09-Dec-15 12:13:49

I thought 5' 6" was the average height for women?

Anyhow, I am 5'3" and wear regular; I am little but leggy <preens>

ouryve Wed 09-Dec-15 12:15:10

And at 29", my inside leg is longer than my dad's and shorter than my 5'2" 12 year old's.

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Wed 09-Dec-15 12:25:56

There's 2" between regular and long / short trousers so it's not surprising that people who are 5'4" could have 30", 32" or 34" inner leg measurements - 2 inches here or there out of 64 inches overall isn't going to look massively different until it comes to hems dragging or floating above your ankles.

FWIW I'm 5'8" and frequently find even the longer trousers a bit ankle skimming - at least with shorter legs you can hem them!

helenahandbag Wed 09-Dec-15 12:45:40

I'm 5' 4" and wear short length trousers, but I'm not annoyed about it confused

I like "ankle grazer" skinny jeans and the short ones sit where I like them, whereas the regular length bunch up a little on my feet.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Wed 09-Dec-15 12:45:46

I'm 5 foot 3, I need short as I have short legs. Even then, they can be a bit long.

INeedACheeseSlicer Wed 09-Dec-15 12:47:12

I have short legs too, and an annoyingly long torso and extra long arms (hope everyone isn't picturing a chimpanzee blush.

I have to buy "long/tall" for blouses and coats, which is usually really difficult to find. Even then they are usually too short. Cuffs that finish a cm back on my wrist give me the RAGE. But it's so hard to find sleeves long enough. I haven't bought new knitwear for years, it's all too short. I buy men's shirts for workwear usually.

But regular length trousers are a bit too long unless I am wearing heels, (whilst short length trousers are just that tiny bit too short.)

Clearly I am a very strange shape grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now