Talk

Advanced search

To not go to the stingy Xmas lunch

(164 Posts)
BaaaaHumbug Wed 09-Dec-15 08:57:24

I work in a big corporation, household name, billions in turn over. Big in entertainment.

Difficult year for our department of 30 people... We've had to put up with a lot of upheaval and bad management. Some days there's so much wastage it'd literally be cheaper if we were payed to burn £20 notes all day.

So Work Xmas lunch email comes around , gastric pub down the road, and says we can either choose to have ( a ) starter and a main, or ( b ) a main and a pudding.

AIBU to decline the offer? Doesn't really seem in the spirit of things.

Or am I being U and should be greatful for free food...

BaaaaHumbug Wed 09-Dec-15 08:58:24

Gastro pub... Not gastric pub !

Penfold007 Wed 09-Dec-15 08:58:57

Gastric pub!! I'd steer clear

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 09-Dec-15 09:01:18

A lot of places don't pay for any Christmas meal at all so it sounds ok to me.

Russellgroupserf Wed 09-Dec-15 09:02:31

I would go because as much as it's an irritant go as an information gathering exercise while quietly seething about the wastage.

The amount of dinners and lunches I have sat through where my mind is elsewhere is vast.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 09-Dec-15 09:02:35

That's not too bad - I thought you were going to say you have to share a few mains or something.

I'd go because, however much waste and profit your company has overall, presumably your department budget will only cover two courses each. I'd be unlikely to finish a three course meal though, and in my experience, only one or two people ever order a starter anyway so the rest of the table sit waiting for them.

It's still free food and I think it's especially important to keep team relationships strong and show yourself as a team player if the department has had a tough year with upheavals etc.

timeforabrewnow Wed 09-Dec-15 09:02:36

YABU to moan. If you don't want to go, don't,

I work in the NHS and am lucky to get a meal break - let alone a free lunch of any description.

And yes you should be grateful.

<Harumphs off>

LineyReborn Wed 09-Dec-15 09:04:40

I think it sounds ok as a freebie. Except that you'll be watching each other eat the courses that you're not having iyswim, so maybe try to all have the same combination of courses.

noeffingidea Wed 09-Dec-15 09:04:46

What's stingy about a 2 course meal? Sounds fine to me.

Sharoncatastrophe Wed 09-Dec-15 09:04:47

I think you're probably disheartened and pissed off at more than the Xmas party which doesn't seem especially stingy- I assume someone just made a choice to go with 2 courses rather than it being a reflection of anything else - but when you're demotivated everything pisses you off.

CherryPicking Wed 09-Dec-15 09:06:10

Maybe you should go but plot to find a way to funnel the wastage of resources over to timeforabrew in the NHS.

Savagebeauty Wed 09-Dec-15 09:06:17

Be grateful you get it paid for

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Wed 09-Dec-15 09:08:49

Go, enjoy, (and order the third course and pay for it yourself).

CombineBananaFister Wed 09-Dec-15 09:09:37

It is disheartening to see a company waste loads normally but is happy to cutback where staff perks are concerned. Having said that it is a freebie and way more than most get so I'd try and see them as 2 different issues. You are being giving a lovely 2 course meal for free - grateful
Your company is very badly run - annoyed.

BaaaaHumbug Wed 09-Dec-15 09:09:48

I know this a real first world problem grin

PollysHoliday Wed 09-Dec-15 09:10:37

I think it's hard for you to moan about stinginess when the meal you are being invited to is free.
My work place had it's Christmas do yesterday evening. Not everybody could go because some of us had to cover the evening shift and it certainly wasn't free for those who did go.

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Wed 09-Dec-15 09:10:50

Maybe they're going the way a lot of companies do and are feeling the pinch. Esp as you say there's been a lot of wastage in the company financially.

Dh's work used to have some amazing Christmas knees ups but those days are well and truly over. They now seem to be tacking on a Christmas pie and pint onto the end of a meeting.

At least they're still paying. Where I work now will pay for us to have a Christmas meal and I think it's nice but unusual. Everywhere else I've ever worked we've had to pay for ourselves confused.

I still think it's good to go if you can though. Unless your colleagues are absolutely dire it does no harm to show willing and to join in a bit with each other. Even if it is just the pub.

BasinHaircut Wed 09-Dec-15 09:11:19

Public sector job here and we get bugger all.

Littleelffriend Wed 09-Dec-15 09:15:23

You're being totally ungrateful. My company has had to cancel the Christmas meal this year as there has been pay offs etc. I would rather that people got to keep their jobs than get some crappy free meal.

usual Wed 09-Dec-15 09:16:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marynary Wed 09-Dec-15 09:19:55

I don't think that you should be grateful but I wouldn't be unhappy about it either. People in the public sector have to pay for their own lunch and then our managers (where I work at least) have the nerve to "expect" us to go. Refusing to go = not being a "team player," apparently hmm

OnlyLovers Wed 09-Dec-15 09:20:10

YABU. Your company's obviously having to watch the pennies but is still trying to give employees a freebie Christmas lunch. What's the problem?

Aftershock15 Wed 09-Dec-15 09:20:43

Isn't the threshold to fall under the no tax thing quite low? Maybe it's to solve that problem. When I was working it was £25 - that wouldn't do 3 courses here, but would do 2. When dh takes his team out at Xmas there is an amount from the company and he pays the rest personally.

NerrSnerr Wed 09-Dec-15 09:21:02

I have just paid £20 for our Christmas dinner so would love to get a free lunch!

firesidechat Wed 09-Dec-15 09:28:56

I only eat 2 courses so would be quite happy and it's free! If it's a half way decent gastro pub I would be very happy.

My husband works for a good company on a very good salary and they haven't had a Christmas do/meal since about 2007. Lots of companies have tightened their belts where staff perks are concerned. When I worked for the NHS it was a rushed dinner in the staff canteen and we paid for our our department lunch in a local pub.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now