Talk

Advanced search

Electronic cigarette inspired rudeness....

(21 Posts)
Polgara25 Tue 08-Dec-15 21:52:52

If you saw someone eating a mars bar, would you go up to them and tell them that it might make them fat? As a conversation starter, with a colleague you barely knew?

Today, I had a colleague actually walk up to me, while outside of the office (public street essentially) and tell me that electric cigarettes have bad chemicals in....

Obviously I had mine in my hand at the time.

AIBU to be irritated at this? Sod off, I'm not hurting anyone and you walked ten meters over to me.

Why is acceptable for people to be rude and comment on this?

iwasyoungonce Tue 08-Dec-15 21:57:19

I suppose the only difference here is that maybe she/he thought that you didn't KNOW, so they were educating you.

Whereas with a Mars, of course we all know they make us fat, so it's just pointless and rude to tell someone.

That said, I agree, why don't they just fuck off anyway? e-cigarettes are fucking awesome.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 08-Dec-15 22:04:50

She might just be a know it all and like the sound of her own voice.

iklboo Tue 08-Dec-15 22:05:56

Tell her that life is a sexually transmitted condition.

Polgara25 Tue 08-Dec-15 22:07:39

I ask him which study (I have read several) he was referring to. He stomped off.

StarkyTheDirewolf Tue 08-Dec-15 22:17:52

Unsolicited opinions on life choices are always a treat! hmm

I'm a smoker, someone walked up to me once and said "those will kill you".
I know that, but they weren't expecting "that's if the heroin and syphilis don't get me first!" That they got back, with a cheery smile. smile

Diclaimer : I don't use heroin and have never had syphilis.

Arfarfanarf Tue 08-Dec-15 22:20:04

grin Fab reply starky. What did they say to that?

ProcrastinatorGeneral Tue 08-Dec-15 22:21:41

I've been known to tell people that their choice of liquid stinks to high heaven, but that's because I think synthetic vanilla should be as illegal as smoking in a public buildinggrin

StarkyTheDirewolf Tue 08-Dec-15 22:37:02

They just did a fantastic impression of a goldfish arf grin

I'm very rarely rude/sassy to people but I'd had one of those days, was unbelievably tired and had been looking forward to 5 minutes of peace, outside, alone, having a smoke for about 4 hours.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 08-Dec-15 23:40:59

I always think peeps with e-cigs look like they're about to play a little tune Pied Piper style.

It's a real disappointment when they don't.

Andylion Tue 08-Dec-15 23:47:23

It's not acceptable. (However, FYI, I just heard about this study today, so i assume it's new.)

BeezerBubble Tue 08-Dec-15 23:57:00

There are studies coming out all the time. Depends if it's researchers pimping for more research cash or with an agenda or honest scientists comparing ecig vapour to tobacco smoke what the conclusions are. Same applies to sugary drinks, fast food etc..

Atomik Wed 09-Dec-15 00:05:02

Didn't I just read that they will be available on the NHS in Britain in the NY, as a cessation aid ?

I suppose that will help with any unsolicited advice... "my doctor prescribed it, I trust him/her more with regards to my health rather than your good self due to their extensive medical training (and your lack thereof) reasons, so <prolonged raspberry>.. "

BeezerBubble Wed 09-Dec-15 00:07:03

As suspected latest study exaggerates risks, known about for some time, doesn't explain same chemicals present in tobacco smoke and levels of these chemicals in eliquid pose no risks to health. The good Dr Farsalinos debunks here www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php/whats-new/whatsnew-2015/236-da2

BeezerBubble Wed 09-Dec-15 00:15:03

"Didn't I just read that they will be available on the NHS in Britain in the NY, as a cessation aid ?"

The media is confused here, BAT have the Voke licensed by the MHRA which may be available on the NHS but it's not an ecig, it's more like an inhaler.

Atomik Wed 09-Dec-15 10:16:00

<sigh>

What is it with some journos and their inability to commicate reality rather than utter bollocks ?

I thought a talent for communication meant managing to make not so exciting stuff quite interesting after some extensive fact checking. Whereas apparently it means making shit up hmm

Nabootique Wed 09-Dec-15 12:05:58

I always think snake charmer, King grin

littlemermaid80 Wed 09-Dec-15 12:10:10

My brother was once approached by a rude old lady (known in our town) while he was smoking. She barked "You shouldn't smoke. Cigarettes kill you."
He replied "So does old age" and her face was like shock
Lol grin

Blacktealeaves Wed 09-Dec-15 12:16:09

Unsolicited opinions on life choices are always a treat!

^^
This

To be fair, smoking might not kill you as you might get run over by a bus.

FWIW, I don't like cigarette smoke but don't mind e cigarettes. I don't mind the smell of vanilla either.

However, that's not the point of this thread!

Blacktealeaves Wed 09-Dec-15 12:17:23

The other thing that gets my goat (trademark - mumsnet) is people's unsolicited opinions on how you are looking after your child.

Unless a parent is hitting a child, or doing something patently dangerous, then BUTT OUT!

StarkyTheDirewolf Wed 09-Dec-15 13:49:57

Blacktealeaves gets my goat. ..butt out. fgrin love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now