Talk

Advanced search

To think if I had time to recover properly I wouldn't be constantly ill.

(13 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Tue 08-Dec-15 18:00:49

I seem to have been constantly ill since July. Shingles, back problems, endless coughs/colds, 3 stomach bugs( I work in a school...)

Staggered in to work today with headache, upset stomach etc. but when I'm ill I never have time to just stop and be ill. There's always something to do. If I could just stay in bed for a week, I think I'd be ok😰

LittlePixieMa Tue 08-Dec-15 18:16:40

Hey
Sending hugs to you. Can you take some time off work? X

OnlyLovers Tue 08-Dec-15 18:21:42

This happened to me a while ago (well, I just had a succession of colds, not the other stuff) and in the end went to the doctor, who signed me off for a week.

I felt guilty and panicky as I was quite junior and young at work, and thought that they'd think I was malingering, but my boss was very kind and the time off did me the world of good.

I slept and rested for most of the week and, even after going back to work, still had to have a nap every day when I got home for about a fortnight. Was quite shocked at how exhausted I'd obviously been. I clearly needed the time off.

Is it possible for you to take time off in this way? Sounds like you really need a break and to look after yourself.

Orangeanddemons Tue 08-Dec-15 18:28:00

I break up next week, so have holidays then. But they're not v restful iykwim. Dc to look after, presents to wrap. I just want to lie in bed for a whole day and be ill.

OnlyLovers Tue 08-Dec-15 18:29:10

Yes, I get it. Is there anyone else to help with the DC? Can you leave the presents a bit? Or, again, can someone else do them?

TimeToMuskUp Tue 08-Dec-15 18:31:33

I work in a school too and haven't ever had time off for illnesses, it's just not the done thing. But I had a (smallish) operation a fortnight ago and have been absolutely knocked sideways by it, so much so that I've been signed off til January by my consultant. I've spent all day today asleep and still feel shattered.

Take a couple of days off ill. It's easier said than done, but if you never have chance to recover you'll end up burning out and needing much more time off eventually.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 08-Dec-15 18:31:35

You shouldn't go to a school with an upset stomach, as a parent I wouldn't appreciate my dc getting sick. I am immune compromised so would be really ill if I caught a bug from my dc.
Hope you feel better soon, and you should stay in bed.

DyslexicScientist Tue 08-Dec-15 18:32:41

Yanbu. When your worn down you are so susceptible.

Its no help but I didn't work for two years and had plenty of money, I didn't get ill once. Working full time o often got ill.

Orangeanddemons Tue 08-Dec-15 18:43:09

It was the tail end of a virus, so doubt I was infectious. Just felt sick with bad tummy pains. I can't take any more time off, I've had 2 lots of absence already this term when my back seized up completely and I just couldn't move. It's just so crap when you can't be ill.

cardibach Tue 08-Dec-15 18:50:59

This is what is wrong with education. If you're ill, you're ill. Take time off.

BooyakaTurkeyisMassive Tue 08-Dec-15 18:54:26

As you've had shingles do you think it might be worth discussing the possibility of post viral fatigue with your GP?

Orangeanddemons Tue 08-Dec-15 18:59:55

Hmm, there's a thought, but the shingles was in July.

AliceScarlett Tue 08-Dec-15 20:22:31

Careful, your setting yourself up for post viral fatigue. A week off and some help with the kids will be worth it to get better and stay better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now