Talk

Advanced search

To really hate Christmas shopping

(49 Posts)
Oysterbabe Tue 08-Dec-15 12:33:02

Thought I'd get started today on my lunch break. I don't understand how you can walk amongst the piles of tat and feel anything other than dispare. I'm going to retreat back to the office and do it online I think.

Oysterbabe Tue 08-Dec-15 12:33:53

*despair hmm

Cardboxed Tue 08-Dec-15 12:34:41

But then you hazard the risk that it gets delayed, wrong item and all the other sorts of faff that come with online delivery even if you factor out christmas.

Cutting it finely methinks. Brace yourself and get out there. Elbows sharp, narrow eyes!

NeedsAMousekatool Tue 08-Dec-15 12:34:53

Online with a cup of tea while the toddler is sleeping is the only way. If I liked mince pies I would also eat a mince pie for festiveness. Sod battling a million people in the shops.

Paintedhandprints Tue 08-Dec-15 12:36:14

Make a list and go forth with purpose! I've done most of mine online, but have to brave the local shopping mall on Saturday. Eek!

reni2 Tue 08-Dec-15 12:38:28

I do it all on-line. A madness descents if I don't, I buy the first halfway normal thing in the midst of the Christmas singing blinging tat.

Once, having looked at bonkers patterns at pink for an hour, I bough the first normal looking shirt. In the cold light of day it was a red and white check like you'd find on a tea towel.

fuzzpig Tue 08-Dec-15 12:38:30

I pretty much avoid town as much as possible from mid-November onwards! I hate crowds. And I hate the abundance of unimaginative 'gift sets' <grump>

I just keep wishlists of ideas all year round and keep an eye out for discounts on those items. I do mostly shop online now, particularly the last few years as I am unwell, but make special trips to places like my favourite indie board game shop which I want to support.

Oysterbabe Tue 08-Dec-15 12:39:06

DH smugly announced that he's finished the other day. angry

cardibach Tue 08-Dec-15 12:41:56

Cutting it fine? It's one or two trips or one big online shop which will deliver in a few days. Christmas is over 2 weeks away. I haven't started yet. Too much fuss made about Christmas shopping.

NeedsAMousekatool Tue 08-Dec-15 12:42:20

Your DH went to the big tesco and bought 3 gift sets of smellies, a scarf, a video game, three selection boxes, a tin of biscuits and the Star Wars annual. It took 25 minutes.
<guesses>

BeautifulLiar Tue 08-Dec-15 12:45:22

I do it all online at the beginning of October. I love Christmas shopping!! But then I only buy for my DC

LumelaMme Tue 08-Dec-15 13:03:11

Start early. I mean, really early: I bought the last few bits the other day.

I hate fighting through the crowds, I hate buying something okay-ish because I haven't the time or brain-space to think of something nicer. I also hate wrapping it all up in a burning hurry.

A brief spell of Christmas shopping, tacked onto a regular trip to the shops in, say, July, is actually quite fun...

squoosh Tue 08-Dec-15 13:08:05

I do 99% of my Christmas shopping online. If I do brave the shops I only do so if I know the exact item I'm going to buy.

Daisysbear Tue 08-Dec-15 13:14:43

I have started doing as much of my present shopping as possible out of town ie On-line, local shops, small nearby shopping centres mid week. I go to one large shopping centre early in Dec to get a couple of the bigger presents and avoid the city centre completely.

It really has removed a lot of the stress. I hate rushing around busy city department stores and thronged streets the week before Christmas, bashing into people, panic buying, trying to hang onto half a dozen carrier bags and not lose any, and bad temperedly buying stuff with the attitude 'I just don't care anymore. This'll do'. It just didn't feel Christmassy at all.

I love Christmas shopping but do most of it online. I do some in town because it would feel wrong otherwise, I quite like the rush to get everything - it feels nice when you get home with the bundles of gifts for people smile

However, I always know what I'm going to get but do often get twitches when I see something that someone would like and end up with far too many presents blush

Doesn't happen so much when I do it online!

whopureedmypeas Tue 08-Dec-15 13:50:55

I always love the idea of christmas shopping.
in my head I'll amle around smiling as I chose my gifts, I'll stop for a coffee and a cake inbetween and get everything done.
Reality? I forget my list, I'm too hot as I've worn the wrong coat, I panic buy crap and buy a coffee to go and then can't carry it and my bag splits!
I'm going tomorrow wish me luck grin

LetGoOrBeDragged Tue 08-Dec-15 13:55:42

I really wouldn't do it online now. Unless it's stuff from john lewis, that you can get delivered to waitrose the next day, for example. I wouldn't rely on amazon!

SisterNancySinatra Tue 08-Dec-15 13:58:13

It's awful, I couldn't even get a parking space in Morrisons today , and it's only the 8th. I like the safety and comfort of online at home .

It's absolutely fine doing it online now.. I've been using Amazon up until 23rd December for pre-Christmas delivery for a few years now.

squoosh Tue 08-Dec-15 14:05:50

It's only the 8th! Plenty of time for online shopping.

LetGoOrBeDragged Tue 08-Dec-15 14:13:00

Still think online is risky if you are relying on it for lots of things. I am quite risk averse though, and also quite pissed off with amazon who are late delivering something I ordered ages ago!

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 09-Dec-15 00:54:36

Good grief I haven't even started yet! Such a lot of fuss about cutting things fine. DH and are going to blitz most of it in one day this Saturday. Then we can pick up any final bits the weekend after. Shopping early is not a virtue in and of itself!

Out2pasture Wed 09-Dec-15 01:59:34

mark your calendar for next year, start in September.

LetGoOrBeDragged Wed 09-Dec-15 09:56:47

People who shop early, do it because they find shopping late, stressful. Or to spread the cost. They don't do it to be virtuous

Daisysbear Wed 09-Dec-15 10:19:13

What are you ranting about Ghoul. No one said shopping early is a virtue. Some posters were wondering if stuff ordered on line will definitely arrive before Christmas, that's all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now