Talk

Advanced search

To think a great way for a transgender person to avoid going to the wrong gender prison

(198 Posts)
wasonthelist Tue 08-Dec-15 12:15:08

Would be not to headbutt a barman.

BadlyBehavedShoppingTrolley Tue 08-Dec-15 12:17:15

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mouldycheesefan Tue 08-Dec-15 12:17:19

Exactly. If you can't do time, don't commit the crime!

A friend who is a prison officer puts it that every inmate is in there voluntarily.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 08-Dec-15 12:18:49

Sounds logical to me...

CrayonShavings Tue 08-Dec-15 12:19:09

Well quite.

Prisons are, or should be, segregated by sex not gender.

angelos02 Tue 08-Dec-15 12:19:51

Aye - good point. Some people minimise burglary (for example) as a lesser crime but my grandmother was never the same after being burgled so I couldn't give a shiny shit about what happens to people in prison. Each and every one of them has caused a massive negative impact on another human being so tough fuck if you don't like what happens to you.

YogaDrone Tue 08-Dec-15 12:23:21

YANBU. Prisons shouldn't be gendered at all. They are (or should be) segregated based on a person's sex.

DawnOfTheDoggers Tue 08-Dec-15 12:37:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RickRoll Tue 08-Dec-15 12:44:34

Didn't this happen about a month ago? Is there some reason why you are bringing it up again?

wasonthelist Tue 08-Dec-15 12:47:58

Person all over the news today (brief interview on Radio) no one is talking about her crime.

60sname Tue 08-Dec-15 12:49:11

This again?

Enjolrass Tue 08-Dec-15 12:49:34

If there open prisons for trans people they will need separate for male-female and female-male wouldn't they?

I believe it may become an issue in future. Especially if male to female trans commit crime as the same rates as the male population in general

hiddenhome2 Tue 08-Dec-15 12:49:40

It's against their human rights to deny themselves the opportunity to punch someone though. I'm afraid you're forgetting this.

RickRoll Tue 08-Dec-15 12:49:42

Oh, I see, the BBC has done a fawning interview with Tara. No mention of the career as a transsexual prostitute, strangely, and the long list of convictions for violent crime rather glossed over.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35029928

Love how Tara towers over the male reporter.

It seems that this is the ultimate get-out-of-jail-free card. It worked for Bruce Jenner - he killed a woman, transformed into Caitlyn, and was suddenly woman of the year, despite, er, not actually having BEEN a woman for a year.

VestalVirgin Tue 08-Dec-15 12:50:32

Well the rate we are going, we may as well just open prisons for third /trans gender people, there seem to be quite a few of them around, and a disproportionate number of them in prison.

We should do that. I don't think the trans"women" would like it, as they'd be imprisoned with other males, the exact thing they aim to avoid.

However, we should give transmen and outwardly female intersex individuals the opportunity to choose between that and women's prison. After all, people do sometimes end up in prison for a crime someone else committed.

Enjolrass Tue 08-Dec-15 12:52:41

Tbh the Tara thing baffles me.

She makes her money by using her penis. She advertises herself has specifically as have a large penis.

If she isn't planning on having it removed because that's her selling point, is she really transgender?

Enjolrass Tue 08-Dec-15 12:53:22

That's a genuine question, not trying I be goady. It honestly baffles me.

RickRoll Tue 08-Dec-15 12:55:17

Oh she's also sold her story to the local paper, and is busy pontificating about her opinion on 'real' criminals (as opposed to not-really-criminals such as Tara Hudson, who just committed an assault or six, which doesn't count, honest), like Shauna Hoare, whom she was very upset to have to share a wing with, because she and her 'seven inch surprise' should be free to roam the women's prison and not be locked up with the 'proper' psychos (apparently gender dysphoria and depression don't count).

www.bathchronicle.co.uk/EXCLUSIVE-Bath-transgender-woman-Tara-Hudson/story-28312841-detail/story.html

WoodHeaven Tue 08-Dec-15 12:56:09

I'm struggling to think about any other Instances where people are going out of their way to interview someone with such a long conviction list AND not mention it

VagueIdeas Tue 08-Dec-15 12:56:53

Most transwomen opt to keep their penises, Enjolrass.

The surgery is mutilating and hardly achieves a functioning vagina, so I can't say I'm surprised, but it certainly raises questions about people with penises calling themselves female and demanding access to female segregated spaces - not just prisons.

RickRoll Tue 08-Dec-15 12:58:04

It's very rare that prisoners get the time of day when they come out. Unless they are previously successful, like Jeffrey Archer. It doesn't seem very fair to other prisoners-with-penises, that they aren't all afforded the same opportunity to complain about how Dickensian it was in prison.

Enjolrass Tue 08-Dec-15 13:00:01

Thanks. vague, I understand them not wanting to go through surgery.

But since she uses hers as a money maker and is her 'unique selling point' it doesn't seem right that he is claiming she is legally a female.

I find this whole thing very confusing.

Wolpertinger Tue 08-Dec-15 13:00:24

I was very baffled by her as if I met her, I'd take her for a ultra camp gay man in drag. All the gestures that to her were confirming she was really a woman, to me made her look like no woman I've ever met confused

Whereas I work with a lovely transwoman who spends her time doing normal woman stuff, like going to work, looking after her kids, talking about shoes and soaps in the staff room, shops at M+S, doesn't wear makeup and bears no resemblance at all to any transactivists we see on the news.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Tue 08-Dec-15 13:03:20

marvellous!

another trans thread

where everyone, miraculously, AGREES!!!!

only when MN AIBU is 100% full of trans bashing threads can I rest though

catfordbetty Tue 08-Dec-15 13:10:26

Dawn very good post - I agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now