Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this woman has tried to rip us off twice?

(20 Posts)
Snowyxmas Tue 08-Dec-15 09:09:39

For my DM milestone birthday I decided to treat her to the full works at local hairdresser.

DM has had cancer and after chimo lost her blonde ringlets and her hair is now very dark straight and corse.

DM has had in mind a style for over a year but kept putting off going so I went to my hairdresser told them exactly what she wanted and paid for it and booked the appointment with my stylist.

The day of the appointment I get a call from DM saying she's £25 short and as i had taken care of the bill had only taken £5 tip.

I went down and explained all this to the manager and she insisted that mum had had a full head of half that I had paid for. The appointment had been made with my stylist so I asked why she had done a full rather than half, the stylist said that it wasn't a full head it was weaved and only on the underneath section as mum didn't want the regrowth so she had highlights underneath and a tint all over the rest and the top of the head was tinted. Anyway to save the sheer embarrassment of my DM I paid. I've had a full head of highlights in the past and this was far from a full head.

I Was in the salon a couple of weeks ago for my DC hair cut and my stylist said mum was keen on getting the curling wand they used on her that day and if I wanted to get one they would get it for a reduced price for me at the wholesalers she wrote down the site and said look at this page as it's cheaper that trade and if I wanted them come back and order them but needed to pay in cash.

So I did, went back in yesterday to pick them up. They were listed on the website at £50 without vat. So I took the £60 in with me and the manager was there and said that will be £84.
I said they were £50 & vat and she argued and got them up on her phone. Thinking I had made a mistake I said I would come back tomorrow with the money. The manager said she wasn't in today so come back weds.

I've just looked online and found out she is trying to charge me for the next model up. The wands are the same but boxes are different and this one online comes with a carry bag the one she tried to sell me has not.

Do you think she's made a mistake or is she trying it on? I need to go in and explain this. AIBU to go today and speak to my stylist as the manager can be really rude and I don't really want to speak to her? Even tho I have been told to come back when the manager is about?

emsyj Tue 08-Dec-15 09:13:41

I would just not go back at all and find another hairdresser to be honest...

pictish Tue 08-Dec-15 09:40:19

I agree. They sound very disagreeable and unprofessional.

TendonQueen Tue 08-Dec-15 09:44:13

And I'd check on whether your mum said any such thing about the wand. My guess is she didn't, or said 'that's nice' in passing.

Sallyingforth Tue 08-Dec-15 09:47:45

It's no help I know but stories like this make me glad I keep clear of hairdressers. Their charges are ridiculous

tryingtocatchthewind Tue 08-Dec-15 09:48:14

Just go somewhere else and yes check your mum actually wants the wand

slanleat Tue 08-Dec-15 09:54:02

I would simply not go back. I left my very local hairdresser for similar reasons. If you have agreed a price they should stick with it.

KitZacJak Tue 08-Dec-15 09:59:21

I think they should have called you if the price had gone over as they knew it was a special present for your mum. It has put you and your mum in an awkward position.

The last 2 times I have booked the hairdresser I agreed the price on the phone but when I have got there it ended up costing £10 more. This was with 2 different hairdressers. I didn't have anything different from what was discussed and they knew my hair length and thickness.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 08-Dec-15 10:00:21

I wouldn't buy the wand. Your mum may well just have shown enthusiasm about it to be polite (like I do about various products at the hairdressers wink). You could always ask your mum & if she really does want one, I'm sure you could get one elsewhere.

TBH, this would all have left a sour taste in my mouth - especially them trying to extort money from my mum in the circumstances. IMO, had they known they were doing something that would cost more than the price paid in advance they should have notified her of the additional cost before proceeding.

I would be using a different hairdresser from now on.

pictish Tue 08-Dec-15 10:04:16

My experience of hairdressers is that they are nice as pie so long as you think they're brilliant and gladly hand your money over, but they soon become awkward and unpleasant to deal with if you have cause for complaint.

Now I know there are probably loads of perfectly nice hairdressers out there who are a pleasure to deal with even when dealing with complaints, so I'm not making a sweeping statement about all hairdressers. That would be preposterous.
It just so happens that I've never met any. On the very rare occasion I have had cause to politely complain, it's as though the shutters came down. They did not like it.

Sparkletastic Tue 08-Dec-15 10:08:36

I got a brilliant Babyliss curling wand for £25 from Argos last month. Best purchase ever. Don't ever go back to this hairdresser.

Hygge Tue 08-Dec-15 10:09:10

I would also go elsewhere from now on.

It sounds very stressful and unprofessional. I hope it didn't spoil things for your mum flowers

Dipankrispaneven Tue 08-Dec-15 10:10:31

If your mother really does want the wand, I bet you could get it direct mail order at a similar price without going through the hairdresser.

But after the first ripoff I would have changed to a different hairdresser, particularly if the manager is unpleasant.

scarlets Tue 08-Dec-15 10:12:38

I'd look online for the wand, and I'd find a new stylist.

Sounds stressful.

howabout Tue 08-Dec-15 10:24:30

Time to move hairdresser and never recommend them to anyone else. We have a couple of outfits like this. There is no need to put up with it.

My DD now goes to a local chain with standard advertised prices. It is a lovely feeling to be able to send my 14 year old on her own confident they will do a great job and treat her like any top paying client whether she is having highlights and dip dye or a basic dry cut. smile

BabyGanoush Tue 08-Dec-15 10:34:38

yes you are right OP

She is a chancer

SuperFlyHigh Tue 08-Dec-15 10:40:34

Very dishonest and don't go back. Also you don't want to get into an argument with the manager!

I've been very lucky with most of my hairdressers in the past more like friends and they'd tell me the best places to buy electrical devices from and one stylist used to send her colourist down to the Sally's down the road for supplies if they ran out...

It's a pity really because this salon has lost not only you, your DM and DCs custom over trying to pull the wool over re the highlights and then re the wand and that's just wrong. Also if your mum had mentioned to them re the cancer then they'd know that too and should be kinder.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Tue 08-Dec-15 10:43:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pluck Tue 08-Dec-15 12:43:17

Their putting your mother on the spot like that was outrageous. If they were going to have to assess the price only after seeing the hair, they would have done better to have taken a deposit and then allowed you to settle up discreetly, later.

Some treat!

hiddenhome2 Tue 08-Dec-15 13:12:02

They're on the con.

Dump immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now