Talk

Advanced search

To think my dc's teacher's child who is a pupil at the same school shouldn't have been present during a meeting re her SEN issues?

(55 Posts)
Washediris Mon 07-Dec-15 20:35:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wantagoodname Mon 07-Dec-15 20:38:32

Why was the teachers child there?

shinynewusername Mon 07-Dec-15 20:38:45

YANBU - were there special circumstances e.g. teacher being let down at last minute by after-school CM? If not, I would definitely complain to school - it sounds totally inappropriate.

Salmotrutta Mon 07-Dec-15 20:41:02

Totally inappropriate - even if there had been unforeseen childcare issues the meeting should have been rescheduled.

That's appalling and you should complain OP

honkinghaddock Mon 07-Dec-15 20:42:21

It is unacceptable in any circumstances.

Washediris Mon 07-Dec-15 20:43:41

Booyaka Mon 07-Dec-15 20:44:00

YANBU, that's horrendous. Definitely complain.

ADishBestEatenCold Mon 07-Dec-15 20:44:25

Wasn't sure what you were saying, when I read the thread title, but now realise that the meeting was about your child's needs and the teacher's child was present at the meeting!

I realise you wouldn't be able to speak out at the time, because you were upset, but pity you didn't tell the teacher that (very annoyingly) he/she would now have to re-schedule as you and your daughter required a private meeting.

Now, I think you should complain to the headteacher.

Are your DD and the teacher's DD in the same class?

yorkshapudding Mon 07-Dec-15 20:45:11

Completely inappropriate and unprofessional. Even if there were unforseen circumstances, the teacher should have explained and rescheduled the meeting. Your DD has a right to confidentiality and having a classmate in the room when her SEN are being discussed is a serious breach of that, the fact that it is the teachers child doesn't make it any less inappropriate. I would raise this with the Head.

Washediris Mon 07-Dec-15 20:45:13

Washediris Mon 07-Dec-15 20:46:35

IguanaTail Mon 07-Dec-15 20:47:06

I agree - it shouldn't have happened.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 07-Dec-15 20:47:15

That is a compete breach of confidentiality. There may have been childcare issues but as Sal says could the meeting not have been rearranged or if could the child not have sat outside the school office with a colouring/story book or something.
I would definitely complain

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 07-Dec-15 20:47:59

So its happened beforeshock

mineofuselessinformation Mon 07-Dec-15 20:48:57

Complain to the headteacher.
It's just not on.

AnyFucker Mon 07-Dec-15 20:53:07

That is unacceptable.

MrsDeVere Mon 07-Dec-15 20:58:40

RoseWithoutAThorn Mon 07-Dec-15 21:01:16

Call the HT tomorrow and if you can't do that due to work commitments send a strongly worded email. I'm livid for you OP! This is completely unprofessional of the teacher. You had waited weeks for this appointment and frankly I don't give a toss about the teachers child care issues his child should not have been present.

HumphreyCobblers Mon 07-Dec-15 21:01:42

That is shocking. Not acceptable in any way.

MrsKCastle Mon 07-Dec-15 21:04:01

Absolutely unacceptable.
I would complain to the head, shocking lack of privacy.

Washediris Mon 07-Dec-15 21:04:43

thequickbrownfox Mon 07-Dec-15 21:05:07

Completely unacceptable. I'm not the kind of parent to kick up a fuss but I would be bloody furious about this in your shoes OP. Shockingly insensitive and shows total disregard for your and your DC's privacy.

Thinking about it, I'd be amazed if this wasn't some kind of misconduct on the part of the school.

thequickbrownfox Mon 07-Dec-15 21:06:36

X post. If the head is that useless, you need to approach your local authority. How awful for you.

HelloItsMeAgain Mon 07-Dec-15 21:07:43

There should be a Governor specifically linked to SEND - write to them. This ia totally, utterly appalling (I speak as a Primary SEND Link Governor).

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 07-Dec-15 21:08:32

If you get no joy from the HT. Then you take the complaint further to the Board of governments, and if no joy from them the local authorities.
This is most definitely miss conduct. In a school setting it may even come under gross misconduct.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now