Talk

Advanced search

homeopathic remedies

(32 Posts)
PositivePete Mon 07-Dec-15 16:19:30

AIBU to think it's complete twaddle?!?

I've just started a course with a homeopath who has promised me wonders for insomnia & anxiety ...

Am I being mugged off?

I'd really like others view hmm

KatharinaRosalie Mon 07-Dec-15 16:20:07

Works just as well as any other placebo

KakiFruit Mon 07-Dec-15 16:21:01

It is complete twaddle. It's water. If you believe it will help, it might help, but it doesn't sound like you do.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 07-Dec-15 16:22:16

Oh dear. Hope you didn't pay too much for his magic water and sugar pills.

Get well soon! See a doctor if possible/appropriate.

It's nonsense.

PositivePete Mon 07-Dec-15 16:35:15

FMAL

Namechangedec15 Mon 07-Dec-15 16:38:30

Its a con.

catfordbetty Mon 07-Dec-15 16:39:57

If you suspect it's twaddle (and it is) why are you beginning a course of, no doubt expensive, 'treatment'?

lubeybooby Mon 07-Dec-15 16:42:28

placebo only, which can have an effect even when you know it's nonsense. meh.

I far prefer actual medicine

shinynewusername Mon 07-Dec-15 16:45:26

Let's hope it's all twaddle. Imagine how vile it would be if water really did retain a memory of things that had been in contact with it, fish poo and all. I'd never drink it again fwink

If you want a 'natural' remedy for insomnia, try Valerian which - very much unlike homeopathy- has been proven to work. And cut out all caffeine after lunchtime and all screens for 1 hour before bed - the light from screens prevents your melatonin level from rising enough to make you sleepy.

R0nJ0n Mon 07-Dec-15 16:52:41

I'm not really a fan of Richard Dawkins, but I think he does explain homeopathy quite well in this clip.

youtu.be/eN6U6cpGzss

Although Mitchell and Webb are funnier

youtu.be/HMGIbOGu8q0

Namechangedec15 Mon 07-Dec-15 16:53:52

Read my post on elbowing a friend if you want to know whwt people who believe it in are like.

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 07-Dec-15 16:54:59

There is no such thing as a homeopathic 'remedy'. It's water. It's not a remedy. Unless you're dehydrated, obvs.

Homeopathy! There's nothing in it!

myusernamewastaken Mon 07-Dec-15 17:25:49

snake oil x

amarmai Mon 07-Dec-15 18:49:37

at the least it will do no harm- unlike the side effects of many pharmaceutical drugs .

Narp Mon 07-Dec-15 18:55:21

I don't believe in the active ingredients in homeopathic remedies, but consultations with a homeopath cured me of terrible headaches during pregnancy. I think it was that she gave me a long and thorough assessment, and was a trained Bereavement Counsellor. I go and see her again.

Was going to link the Mitchell and Webb sketch too!

Narp Mon 07-Dec-15 18:57:11

P.S. I'd checked out possible reasons for the headaches with GP and Optician before going to homeopath (i'm not a fool)

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 07-Dec-15 18:57:13

Complete shit

creampie Mon 07-Dec-15 18:58:16

If you believe that, armarmai, you don't really understand the concept of harm...

VestalVirgin Mon 07-Dec-15 19:04:50

I've just started a course with a homeopath who has promised me wonders for insomnia & anxiety ..

Insomnia and anxiety are issues where I am convinced homeopathy will do wonders.

@creampie: So you don't think pharmaceutical drugs have harmful side effects?

And by what definition of harm do sugar pills "harm" someone who is not diabetic? I suppose it could be bad for the teeth, but it is not as if most people don't eat kilos of sugar each year, anyway.

Atenco Mon 07-Dec-15 19:55:24

This subject comes up here again and again and all the pseudo-scientists come out with their belief that homeopathy has been proven not to work. If people had a concept of science that went beyond Newton, they might realise that it could work and if they had a concept of science that was based on observing phenomena before trying to have a theory, rather than trying to fit all phenomena into pre-existing theories, they might learn something.

Unfortunately everyone who posts that homeopathy has worked for them will be told it was a purely placebo effect and so it will go on.

Atomik Mon 07-Dec-15 20:56:32

If the principles of homeopathy are valid then even lowly tap water is ...

a) a powerful remedy that can heal all ills.

b) an overdose waiting to happen due to the massive diluteness (hence super mega powerful properties !) of all the once met "active ingredients".

The water cycle is a closed cycle.

It's been bashed about (succussion) and diluted again and again and again, with every element and compound known to mankind in it at some point.

As rain, as sea, as river, as loo water... round and round for millions of years, all violently diluting everything that it ever had disolved into it in the first place.

intothebreach Mon 07-Dec-15 21:03:59

May I be the first to mention Ben Goldacre? There is a most entertaining chapter about homeopathy in his book "Bad Science".

honeysucklejasmine Mon 07-Dec-15 21:12:03

Lol Atomik! Very true!

creampie Mon 07-Dec-15 21:16:11

@vestalvirgin, of course pharmaceuticals have side effects, I meant that homeopathy isn't harmless in that it can prevent people from seeking appropriate medical care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now