Talk

Advanced search

Computer Games

(4 Posts)
j21212 Mon 07-Dec-15 15:28:44

My partner and I are guardians to a 16 year old DC. DC did very well at GCSE but after a term doing A levels is struggling and missing/late to school. The problem is the dreaded on line computer games. We've taken the view that now he's 16 ( nearly 17) he should be able to regulate himself and the only control in place is to stop him playing after 11pm. Last night he tells us that he is playing 4 hours a day and that's why he's behind at school. He says he can sort it but then adds that if he keeps playing he'll be an "international player" - whatever that means. So am I being unreasonable to just take over and put parental controls on so he can't play more than a limited period? What's a reasonable number of hours a week? What I would like to do is to tell him how many hours he's allowed and ask him to say when those hours should be.

Themodernuriahheep Mon 07-Dec-15 17:08:21

Oh god it's hard. But 4 hours a day on school days is too much. I know, because Ds did it and his as results suffered.

I don't know how much work he gets from school. If you work back from that, plus 8 hours sleep, preferably ( these teens need their sleep) and eating, what's left? And double it at weekends, if Its what he's passionate about.

j21212 Mon 07-Dec-15 18:48:13

Thank you .... I think that's a good approach. I'm going to ask him to work out the hours and then we'll discuss it!!

Themodernuriahheep Mon 07-Dec-15 18:52:36

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now