Talk

Advanced search

to still want go to Brussels Christmas market even though they are on terror alert.

(18 Posts)
birdladyfromhomealone Mon 07-Dec-15 00:19:34

I have booked to go on a cruise for two nights and visit the Christmas markets in Brussels as my Xmas surprise for DH. We go four days before Christmas and he only knows that we are going away for two nights not where we are going.
The tickets have arrived and the agents have not said anything about cancellation or security measures as Brussels has been on lock down. On-line it says the markets are not in full stall capacity and extra security measures are in place. It also says to stay out of public places and it is on stage 3 terror alert.
Do we still go but sty on board the cruise liner for the day or do I tell my DH and leave it up to him to decide. He thinks when your times up your times up !! So I think he will say we should still go. WWYD?

gobbynorthernbird Mon 07-Dec-15 00:28:51

I'd go. But then I figure I'm just as likely to get blown up/shot/stabbed in Manchester.

Mozzereena Mon 07-Dec-15 00:29:21

I would tell your DH and let him decide. I would hate for someone to surprise me with a trip where I might be terrified!
I have booked for me and my DH and 6 yo son to go to London 4 days before Christmas. They know about it and they are looking forward to it. It's such a good job David Cameron decided to bomb Syria to make us safer isn't it?

BeaLola Mon 07-Dec-15 00:39:45

I have just come back from Brussels weekend. We had a lovely time, quieter than normal and police on streets , at hotel but I felt as safe as I do in London. Market was lovely and my DS had a great time and I would never have gone if I thought he would be in danger. Agree with gobby.

IcaMorgan Mon 07-Dec-15 06:01:15

I'm going today. The government site just says be more vigilant and do everything any security forces tell you to do

wannabestressfree Mon 07-Dec-15 06:09:50

My oldest went to Brugge Saturday and all was good smile more security but they had a lovely time and felt very safe.

eurochick Mon 07-Dec-15 06:41:00

I'd go. Something could just as easily happen here.

Alconleigh Mon 07-Dec-15 08:45:05

I was there last weekend, when the market opened and they had only put the alert down to 3 on Thursday night. It was fine. Market was mostly in full swing. Only thing which didn't seem to have started was the light show projected onto St Catherine's church, which I wanted to see. Yes some soldiers around but nothing that alarming. I rather enjoyed it being a bit quieter than normal tbh, as despite living in central London I hate crowds
... I would go, sink a load of mulled wine or cider, scoff aload of frites and enjoy.

Topseyt Mon 07-Dec-15 08:56:26

I would go.

Just as likely that something could happen here in the UK. Lives can't just remain on hold.

Very tight security in Brussels at the moment, so it is probably much safer now than it was before the Paris attacks.

birdladyfromhomealone Mon 07-Dec-15 09:56:08

Thanks for all your answers that is reassuring as I have felt I wanted to still go. So Brussels is not on lock down like we are led to believe? Thx

Calaisienne Mon 07-Dec-15 10:01:04

I have a number of staff who live and work in Brussels and for them it is pretty much business as usual - motto is alert but not alarmed.

Alconleigh Mon 07-Dec-15 10:05:31

It's fine. It's not locked down, the restaurantsand bars are open. When I was there a few of the museums were still closed but they re opened on Tuesday I believe. I admit I have a fairly high tolerance for low level background concern, as I live and work in central London, but I wouldn't advise you to go if it genuinely hadn't been fine.

YouGottaKeepEmSeparated Mon 07-Dec-15 11:06:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IPityThePontipines Mon 07-Dec-15 11:10:59

Go, it sounds lovely.

IcaMorgan Tue 08-Dec-15 00:17:19

It was great today, a few armed police and army guys around but very friendly. Felt totally safe

MiaowTheCat Tue 08-Dec-15 07:01:42

My mum's there at the moment

Kittykatmacbill Tue 08-Dec-15 07:05:59

I love Brussels! I would go :-)

LittlestLightOnTheTree Tue 08-Dec-15 08:00:10

I think I'd still go too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now