Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that kids be left in the bath...

(297 Posts)
Flashbangandgone Sun 06-Dec-15 22:32:35

... While I go to another room upstairs from the age of 4?

IAmNotDarling Sun 06-Dec-15 22:38:06

YABU - do not leave them unattended around water until they are at least 7 years old. Drowning is often silent.

nickelbabe Sun 06-Dec-15 22:41:48

Please don't

slightlyglitterpaned Sun 06-Dec-15 22:41:48

There's a RoSPA list of drowning accidents - most are under twos, but there are older children. Not worth the risk.

Blueprintorange Sun 06-Dec-15 22:44:00

If I ever need to leave the room while DS3 is in the bath (e.g to grab a towel from the airing cupboard) I ask him to sing a song, so that I can always hear him.

However I'd never leave him for more than 10-15 seconds. Drowning is silent and quick.

clareash99 Sun 06-Dec-15 22:44:10

No one in my house locks the door for a bath until they are 18.

My cousin drowned in the bath at 17

it took less than 30 seconds.

I know it is unusual, and you really can't constantly watch children bathing after the age of 7 or 8, but 4 is WAAAAAAAY to young, and very dangerous.

Akire Sun 06-Dec-15 22:45:42

Depends on child and for how long if they are sitting in 2 inch water and you are walking across landing to get clean towel- no problem. If you can trust the child to sit and play not go climbing when you go loo or whatever personal I would.

Snossidge Sun 06-Dec-15 22:50:21

From 3.5 I leave them in the bath if I am in the next room, checking on them every few minutes.

DeepBlueLake Sun 06-Dec-15 22:50:39

YANBU.

I wouldn't leave a child in the bath alone until at least the age of 6, depending how confident they are in the water etc.

I certainly wouldn't risk it with a 4yo, anything can happen in the space of two minuets.

Mrscog Sun 06-Dec-15 22:50:51

Depends on the situation, my DS is nearly 4 and I potter about upstairs while he's in the bath. Our upstairs is small though and I make sure I don't get distracted - any absence of noise (more than a few seconds) and I immediately check on him. His bath is also very shallow. It wouldn't be everyone's choice but I feel I've fully risk assessed and I'm happy with how I approach it.

crispytruffle Sun 06-Dec-15 23:08:30

My DD is 6 and I potter around upstairs while she is in the bath, but I still only make really shallow baths and I need to be able to hear her. I would never go downstairs and leave her alone.

Sparklingbrook Sun 06-Dec-15 23:09:06

4 would be ok for me to pop into another upstairs room. IIRC by 4 my two were having showers rather than baths though.

twirlypoo Sun 06-Dec-15 23:10:53

Ds is 3.5 and I potter upstairs too. I can always hear him though and im in there like a flash when he shuts up which is rare!

PurpleDaisies Sun 06-Dec-15 23:11:57

Is this a reverse? Is your dh/babysitter/mother/whoever leaving your kids alone in the bath and you're wondering if you're being unreasonable to be annoyed about it?

Otherwise, just don't. In a previous life I've worked on two kids that almost drowned on the bath. Both were fine but it isn't worth the risk.

Snossidge Sun 06-Dec-15 23:14:28

How old were they and how did it happen Purple?

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sun 06-Dec-15 23:15:30

What's different once someone is 18?

I appreciate because of your personal experience you are naturally cautious but surely nobody keeps checking on their teenage sons every 2 minutes?

LaurieFairyCake Sun 06-Dec-15 23:15:37

clare - how did a 17 year old drown in the bath? Was it drink/drugs?

clareash99 Sun 06-Dec-15 23:15:39

I feel I've fully risk assessed

How have you risk assessed?

clareash99 Sun 06-Dec-15 23:17:56

clare - how did a 17 year old drown in the bath? Was it drink/drugs?

nothing to do with drink or drugs, she slipped and knocked herself out. It was a flimsy door and it took her parents less than 30 seconds to break it down, but it was too late, she was under the water, totally unconscious, and had been inhaling.

It would have been different if she had been holding her breath.

kippersmum Sun 06-Dec-15 23:17:59

Wow. My 2 DC are 8 & 9. I potter upstairs sorting laundry when they are in the shower (plug out), but I keep a very close watch when they are bathing.

They can both swim a length, at least, unaided in a pool. But it just takes one slip on too much bubble bath for someone with a banged head to slip under the water.....

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Sun 06-Dec-15 23:18:31

I wouldn't leave my nearly 4yo for a second. I sit on the edge of the bath when he's in it - he likes playing 'submarines'.

I will leave my 6yo long enough to dash to her room to grab pyjamas/brush but I trust her to sit still whilst I'm out of the room and not stand or 'swim'. I wouldn't go downstairs. She can swim 25m, but ability to swim is irrelevant if they stand to reach a toy, slip, bump head and slide under.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Sun 06-Dec-15 23:18:40

Sorry my post was in response to clareash99.

FanjoBean Sun 06-Dec-15 23:18:55

I also potter about upstairs while my almost 3-year-old is in the bath, but we live in a tiny 2-bed and I can always hear her playing, and we talk/sing to one another. I'm never more than about fifteen feet away.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Sun 06-Dec-15 23:19:08

X-post with kippersmum!

PurpleDaisies Sun 06-Dec-15 23:19:15

Both younger than four, both left alone, both slipped trying to get out of the bath/reach toys. Independent incidents. Apologies for vague details since I don't want anyone to recognise themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now