Talk

Advanced search

To be unable to watch most TV game shows?

(57 Posts)
Sofiria Sun 06-Dec-15 22:10:38

Light-hearted, in case it wasn't obvious, but it seems that every quiz show I watch lately has ridiculous amounts of filler. Repeatedly explaining how the game works, or reciting each contestant's points total even though they're clearly visible to us, and in some cases even going over the basic maths each time.

'Jane has 20 points and Mary has 50 points. That puts Jane 30 points behind!' and suchlike - especially if it's done before the ad break and then again after it. It annoys me so much that I can't watch.

And don't get me started on any kind of competition-based show that announces 'the winner is...' and then pauses for 20 seconds. It's not suspense. 2 seconds of pausing is suspenseful. 20 is extremely irritating.

The only quiz show I've found not to be guilty of any of this is University Challenge, which I enjoy even though it makes me feel very ignorant for only guessing a half-dozen right answers most of the time.

Eh. It's late and I'm feeling curmudgeonly. What do you all think?

AnyFucker Sun 06-Dec-15 22:11:48

I can't even have them on in the same room

I find I can feel my brain cells dying at an accelerated rate

BadLad Mon 07-Dec-15 09:14:09

That's the reason I can't watch Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Five minutes deliberating over the question, perhaps more if they use a lifeline, then they may choose an answer, then Chris Tarrant slows it even more by asking "Final answer?" or "Happy with that?" or some other inane shit. He did it so often that when the show came to Japan, the presenter also asked, in English "Final answer?" every so often. JUST GET THE FUCK ON WITH IT.

BlueJug Mon 07-Dec-15 09:29:04

The Chase, which I love, is not bad for that and fairly fast-paced, (although still does it to some extent). Pointless, which I used to love, is terrible.

Most others are unwatchable. And the idiots, the grinning, the patronising, the false"friendships" and excessive familiarity....... awful

ComposHatComesBack Mon 07-Dec-15 09:50:27

To my mind the original 15 to 1 with William G Stewart is unmatched. No messing about, no pointless chitchat, no lengthy opening monologue from the host, no stupid novelties, just 30 minutes of hardcore quiz action.

lurkingfromhome Mon 07-Dec-15 09:56:30

Unwatchable nonsense, most of the time, I agree. The only ones worth watching are University Challenge, Pointless (not without some filler, but worth it for Richard Osman, who I find lovely) and Only Connect, which is the best of all as it doesn't even have a studio audience, so no applause, no cheering and no relentless recapping.

I once tried to watch that awful thing with Davina McCall - The Drop, was it? It seemed to last all night and they got through about five questions.

treaclesoda Mon 07-Dec-15 09:58:38

Compos I agree, the original 15 to 1 was excellent.

I was horrified when they revived it and did all the chit chat, with Sandi Toksvig explaining the answers etc. Horrified! grin

LemonBreeland Mon 07-Dec-15 10:02:57

Apart from that stupid ball rolling bollocks, The Edge, my least favourite is Tipping Point. The way Ben Shephard talks about the big coin dozer machine as 'she' is intensely irritating.

I don't mind Pointless and the Chase as they can be quite funny.

Pantone363 Mon 07-Dec-15 10:05:32

It's my dream to go on the Chase. I have a recurring dream where I get every question wrong though.

Tipping point is AWFUL

BigginsforPope Mon 07-Dec-15 10:05:56

I'm with you OP. Personally I can't bear game shows that all to do with luck. Like deal or no deal. Pure quiz shows yes but all the pontificating and shall I shan't I gets right on my wick.
We used to love catchprase as kids though!

BigginsforPope Mon 07-Dec-15 10:06:29

that are all to do with luck. Sorry

PunkrockerGirl Mon 07-Dec-15 10:08:38

I do love the Chase, but otherwise I agree, OP.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Mon 07-Dec-15 10:11:59

Mastermind. I love Mastermind. John Humphreys is amazing.

University Challenge and Only Connect are good too.

Dowser Mon 07-Dec-15 10:15:32

Tipping point is awful...but I love the concept behind it.

Hated pointless but like the chase.

My grandson and I are quiz mad. You'll find us glued to sporcle.

Boomingmarvellous Mon 07-Dec-15 10:16:31

Mastermind is the only one that gets a move on. And university challenge but I can't answer many of their questions

YouGottaKeepEmSeparated Mon 07-Dec-15 10:18:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 07-Dec-15 10:25:15

I cannot stand any quiz show. Any. Ever. They are awful and I can't understand the point of them. So contrived and just awful. Who would subject themselves to that?

And why do the contestants always look like they've just popped out to get the bin in? Scruffy and badly dressed. Do the producers of the show tell them 'look common love, it's our demographic'? Ffs, you're on national television, make an effort!

IndridCold Mon 07-Dec-15 10:36:17

My DM has dementia and is a care home where they have ITV blaring all day. DF and I have nightmares about the Tipping Point shock.

What's the one with Bradley Walsh, that's pretty bad.

Mind you, there is hardly any tv I can watch at the moment.

Sparklingbrook Mon 07-Dec-15 10:39:39

The afternoon ones are baffling. There was one with Gabby Logan a few weeks ago chucking a ball and hoping it didn't go over the edge, then Vernon Northern has one at the moment which is something to do with your heartrate. confused

I find Pointless very cringey and slow.

I think most quiz show could be done and dusted in 15 minutes if they cut all the crap out. Deal or No Deal, they should just open the box straight away. Job done.

Egosumquisum Mon 07-Dec-15 10:39:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DeepBlueLake Mon 07-Dec-15 10:49:48

The only one I like is The Chase as it is quite fast paced and there is no dithering over questions.

Eggheads and The Weakest Link were awful, I remember having to watch both when I stayed with my nana years ago.

Sparklingbrook Mon 07-Dec-15 10:53:55

I quite like 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown. Like the normal Countdown but fun. Downside is you have to endure Jimmy Carr but if the guests are good it's hilarious.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 07-Dec-15 10:56:18

Ooh yes 8 out of 10 Countdown is always hilarious. But then that's comedians, not members of the public. 😄

Sparklingbrook Mon 07-Dec-15 10:58:27

I think member of the public on TV is always a gamble. grin It's a good job quiz shows aren't live I would think.

Stephen Mulhern's 'Pick Me' did come across as live though, it was a shambles.

DiscoDiva70 Mon 07-Dec-15 11:02:12

Golden balls gives me the rage!
All that droning on about the rules of the game for an eternity, then the contestants dithering for ages over which ball they 'feel is/is not the killer', how could they possibly 'sense' which balls to pick? confused
Just fucking pick one and be done with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now