Talk

Advanced search

Univited guests for Christmas.

(373 Posts)
Pennybun4 Sun 06-Dec-15 11:59:19

Have been brooding about this since yesterday. Received a Christmas card from this family we met on holiday in the summer. All very nice I am sure but note at the bottom thanking us for our kind invite for Christmas and saying they will be arriving 23rd Dec and staying until 2nd Jan.

We did not invite them!

Back story is Dad, Mum and three children at the same campsite we were staying on in the summer who decided they wanted to be best friends with us. We were polite and chatted but no more. They wanted to go round in a gang in the day which we told them didn't work for us. We wanted quiet quality time as a family, enjoying each other's company. Our two children were not keen on their three which was the decider for us. They then suggested meeting up and having dinner with us every night so we did a couple of times to keep the peace. Said our goodbyes (with a sigh of relief) at the end of the holiday and we know did not exchange addresses.

Two weeks later postcard arrives from them saying lovely it was to meet us and would love to see us again. No address so obviously no response from us. Several letters and cards since in similar vein then the Christmas card yesterday. We don't want them and have no room for them. My DPs are staying over Christmas and there is no way we can change plans and go to them.

Help, what shall we do?

PotteringAlong Sun 06-Dec-15 12:00:36

Have you got no way of contacting them at all?

PurpleDaisies Sun 06-Dec-15 12:01:10

How do you think they got your address if you didn't exchange addresses?

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 06-Dec-15 12:01:10

Sounds like they know you don't like them and they are winding you up to me.

Iguessyourestuckwithme Sun 06-Dec-15 12:01:27

Sounds like Janet and Roy, they don't seem to understand social niceties

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 06-Dec-15 12:01:55

Either that or you told one of your friends about them and they are winding you up with the postcards etc.

Fugghetaboutit Sun 06-Dec-15 12:02:54

Do they just mean they'll be in the country from those dates if you want to meet up?

Graciescotland Sun 06-Dec-15 12:04:03

Crikey; have your DPs answer the door and explain that you've moved? Not really helpful but it just seems incredible if they do turn up.

DeltaZeta Sun 06-Dec-15 12:04:18

Could it be a wind up?

PurpleDaisies Sun 06-Dec-15 12:04:50

I think the most appropriate answer if they do turn up is "Sorry, no room at the inn".

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 06-Dec-15 12:04:59

Is this a mate of yours winding you up?

KeepOnMoving1 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:05:35

Have you told a friend who is a mn and this is a Janet and Roy thing grin

Pennybun4 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:06:51

Don't see how it can be a windup as didn't give them a second thought when we came home. Didn't mention them to anyone until the second card came. The holiday had been a big success otherwise and the children loved it. The family were very pushy on the holiday, wanting to know where we lived, smallish town so wondered if they looked in online phone book.

Don't see the point of windup as they cannot see our reaction. New to our town so not really made contact with the neighbours.

WorraLiberty Sun 06-Dec-15 12:07:33

Hahahaha! Someone's winding you right up fgrin

I have to say, it's the sort of thing I'd do to a mate fblush

WickedWax Sun 06-Dec-15 12:07:50

Someone's having you on, I think it's hilarious grin

Pennybun4 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:09:45

How would they know the names of the family though?

SauvignonBlanche Sun 06-Dec-15 12:10:29

Is one of your DCs in contact with one of their's?

TurnOffTheTv Sun 06-Dec-15 12:10:32

This has got to be a Janet & Roy.

Fluffyears Sun 06-Dec-15 12:11:18

If not a wind up I'd go with someone else opening the door and saying 'who? Oh yeah they moved about 5 months ago, apparently they were being stalked by some weirdos they met on holiday. I don't have a forwarding address I'm afraid.'

WorraLiberty Sun 06-Dec-15 12:11:39

No idea OP but you must have told someone.

but note at the bottom thanking us for our kind invite for Christmas and saying they will be arriving 23rd Dec and staying until 2nd Jan.

Nobody in the history of the world ever does that ^^

Particularly when you haven't invited them or given them your address.

I'd spend the rest of your energy on working out who the practical joker is, and trying to find ways of pranking them back fwink

Clobbered Sun 06-Dec-15 12:12:41

This is totally a wind up. Ignore and don't answer the door on the 23rd!

Clobbered Sun 06-Dec-15 12:13:13

WHAT is a Janet and Roy????

Pennybun4 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:14:06

I am ondering now about my FIL. He does have form for playing 'japes' and he and MIL have been sulking because they weren't asked to us for Christmas.

Any suggestions of what I can do to retaliate?

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sun 06-Dec-15 12:14:14

You must have told someone somewhere about them, or your dcs have mentioned their names.

I have played many a practical joke knowing I won't see the reaction. This is actually a really funny one.

Have you looked the family up on FB just to put your mind at ease.

Pennybun4 Sun 06-Dec-15 12:15:05

Yes, I was going to ask too, what is a Janet and Roy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now