Talk

Advanced search

To think charity shops should check pockets before they put things out for sale?

(38 Posts)
GinBunny Sun 06-Dec-15 01:12:02

I buy a lot from charity shops, and have found many dirty tissues in the pockets, but occasionally have found money too which I always put in the donation tin on the counter.
Last weekend DH bought a jacket. When he got it home and checked the pockets he found a butterfly knife in the inside pocket. I was surprised and a bit taken aback when he told me that these knives are illegal, but didn't give it much thought until we went out with a friend tonight and told him about the find. The first thing he said was what if this knife has been used in criminal activity which has freaked me out a bit. Obviously now it has DH fingerprints on it so what if it has been? But also what if someone had bought the jacket and then used the knife? Wondering if there would be any comeback on the charity shop for selling the jacket with an illegal knife in it?
Just wondering what you think (especially worried about the fact that it might have been used in a crime - am I being paranoid?)

mmmuffins Sun 06-Dec-15 01:34:52

Yes they should check the pockets, and yes you are being ridiculously paranoid.

MsMims Sun 06-Dec-15 01:58:38

You're overthinking the knife.

Yes, ideally charity shops would check pockets, but given they are mostly run by volunteers giving up their own time, and have a lot of stock to sort, I don't think it should be held against them.

GinBunny Sun 06-Dec-15 01:59:15

I'm glad you feel that Muffin because DH does too. But I can't help but feel that if you had done something bad then it would be a good way to get rid of it because there is no trace. I guess I watch too much TV blush

GloGirl Sun 06-Dec-15 02:01:56

Much better to throw it in a bin than a charity shop confused

GinBunny Sun 06-Dec-15 02:05:29

Yes I am overthinking it MsMims my friend was very convincing! That's why I posted, I needed a reality check. I know volunteers do a good job, I'm not trying to blame them at all, I was just wondering the point - as knives are illegal to sell would there be any repercussions if a knife found was used. It was just a question, no blame intended.

Enjolrass Sun 06-Dec-15 07:54:28

It's very hard to match a knife to a crime. They aren't individually made. It's not a gun where bullets get marked differently depending on the barrel markings. I do understand that gun forensics isn't quite as clear cut as CSI make out either.

Yes they should check pockets. But it's also possible that some days things get missed.

You and your friend are being very dramatic in your reasoning over it being traced back to a crime and having your dhs finger prints on.

Enjolrass Sun 06-Dec-15 07:56:59

I have no idea if there would be repercussions on the charity shop if someone bought the jacket, found the knife and used it.

They didn't knowingly sell and illegal knife. Besides, the person who used the knife still chose to keep it and use it. They could do what, I assume, your dh has done with it and disposed of it sensibly.

But why worry about theta when it didn't happen?

Camarg0 Sun 06-Dec-15 08:22:07

I once bought a coat in Asda. The first time I wore it, I found a scratchcard with a £5 win on it and a load of loose tobacco in the pocket. Someone must have returned it after wearing it out and about confused

wowfudge Sun 06-Dec-15 08:30:08

Your friend has an over active imagination. I would go back to the shop and let the manager know the knife was in the jacket pocket when you bought it. The staff need to more diligent before putting items out for sale. However, it's just possible that someone put the knife in the pocket when it was out for sale: who knows?

x2boys Sun 06-Dec-15 10:10:43

How would the charity shop be at fault if somebody had used the knife that was accidentally left in the jacket pocket in some criminal activityconfused and do hardened criminals tend to donate to charity shopshmm

FellOffMyUnicorn Sun 06-Dec-15 10:14:04

Yes, I often dispose of my crime guns by putting them in the pockets of coats I donate to charity

GinBunny Sun 06-Dec-15 11:05:31

In the cold light of day I quite agree that we did get carried away!

sparechange Sun 06-Dec-15 11:12:54

I don't have anything profound to say about knives, coats or guns, but I love your username, OP grin

gamerchick Sun 06-Dec-15 11:16:22

If you find anything like that then the police are happy to get rid of it for you. Just pop it down to your local
Station. There's no need to get upset about it as much as our imaginations get the better of it sometimes.

sinber Sun 06-Dec-15 11:17:08

Gin you are a rare poster indeed, and very sweet.

You do realise that you never admit to BU on AIBU.

specialsubject Sun 06-Dec-15 11:48:07

the important thing is to get the knife out of circulation; there are knife amnesty bins or as mentioned, call 101 for advice as to where to take it if there isn't a police counter near you.

BTW I have just seen the posters on the subject, no personal experience!

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 06-Dec-15 11:48:33

I sometimes still do an emergency shift for our local charity shop (London) and the volume of clothes that the stockroom volunteers have to wade through is immense.

There is very little room back there, everything has to be sorted on table tops or the floor, far more is rejected than put out for sale.

The stuff that is selected has to be quickly steamed on a frankly terrifying device, put on hangers, sized, tagged and priced. Usually three volunteers working the space of an average bathroom. There are no facilities to wash anything and huge pressure of time.

What would really help is donated goods were checked and (FGS) WASHED before they were donated. The charities just don't have the time, space, manpower or facilities to do it (and I can tell you the profit margins for our shop are not as great as you'd think.) The filthy state of some of the donations is flabbergasting. The really dirty things have to go for textile recycling the merely grimy things are sold.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 06-Dec-15 11:49:21

You do realise that you never admit to BU on AIBU.

Ah it's nice smile

redexpat Sun 06-Dec-15 11:50:21

Tell the shop manager. Its v poor management of volunteers.

sashh Sun 06-Dec-15 11:50:30

If you are bothered about it call the police and ask if you can hand it in or how to dispose of it.

Even if pockets were checked a criminal could easily try a jacket on and dispose of a knife in a charity shop

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 06-Dec-15 11:55:17

Tell the shop manager. Its v poor management of volunteers.

No it isn't, it's an oversight.

cozietoesie Sun 06-Dec-15 11:57:39

I bought something from a charity shop once and found a full set of dentures in the pocket! grin

Relax, GinBunny. It could have been a lot worse.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Sun 06-Dec-15 12:04:22

OP charity shops are just big jumble sales with better fittings smile. Either hand it in to the manager, or the police or tape it up well and bin it.

Oldsu Sun 06-Dec-15 15:53:01

OH runs a charity shop and found a GUN all wrapped up, the donator had said he was clearing out the attic of his new house, but as he hadn't signed up for gift aid OH didn't have his address. Took it to local police station who did not seem that bothered, never did find out what happened to it and if it had been used in a murder.

Then someone donated a hand grenade the donator said it was safe as she been using to prop open a door for years.

An elderly volunteer said she would drop it off at the local police station so off she toddled with it in her handbag about 1/2 an hour later DH heard sirens, the police had put a cordon round the station and evacuated the area, the elderly volunteer came back later laughing, saying the duty policeman turned white as a sheet when he saw the grenade coming out of an old ladies handbag

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now