Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ridiculously overcrowded train

(61 Posts)
dodobookends Sat 05-Dec-15 21:27:56

On a busy Saturday lunchtime three weeks before Christmas (and on a day when Arsenal are playing at home) and there are thousands of extra passengers, AIBU to expect the train between Peterborough and Kings Cross to have more than FOUR sodding coaches?

IamCarcass Sat 05-Dec-15 22:09:24

Of course YABU, you should be grateful it's running at all.
grin

febreeze Sat 05-Dec-15 22:13:43

The trains have been cancelled all day due to the weather. That means that there are less trains in the places that they need to be as it knocks on.

Did you not notice the storms going on? Do you live in a wonderful weather free environment?

The East Coast Trains cover routes from Scotland and the North.

ComposHatComesBack Sat 05-Dec-15 22:13:58

Depends. The length of the train is sometime determined by the length of the platforms, some stations can't physically accommodate eight car trains.

Marilynsbigsister Sat 05-Dec-15 22:15:11

How are they going to make money for their shareholders by making the journey comfortable for the passengers ? ( and Jeremy Corbyn is a loony , who wants the railways nationalised and run for the benefit of those using them....complete madness..)

abbsismyhero Sat 05-Dec-15 22:23:42

we are crowded over here i nearly landed in a random blokes arms today we were rammed in two carriages we normally get three! yes we have a windy day but there were no transport issues in my area none? we were actually running early/on time to the second!

Clayhead Sat 05-Dec-15 22:24:47

YANBU, have been on a few trains in the last week, all completely rammed with people swished down the aisles. Sometimes I've had reserved seats but can't actually get to them confused

Sighing Sat 05-Dec-15 22:26:46

There's a fair bit of engineering going on along there, weekends are generally quieter railway times (less service).
Engineering (as it's a long term upgrade not remedial work); time of year; arsenal; all of these are facts that could have been checked out when journey planning.

Pseudonym99 Sat 05-Dec-15 22:30:48

YANBU. They should cancel somebody else's train to provide more carriages for yours.

Noofly Sat 05-Dec-15 22:34:38

Try travelling between Fife and Edinburgh right now!

But to be serious, no, I see your point. Train travel shouldn't be as bad as it frequently is.

febreeze Sat 05-Dec-15 22:42:49

yes we have a windy day

You must not be in the North! It is rather more than a Windy day!

Fuckitfay Sat 05-Dec-15 22:46:11

That route has 12 coach trains in peak time commuting hours so is possible to have longer trains nor has the area been particularly affected by the weather that I've heard (it shares the line that goes to the north east but is a different train company only running local trains). I agree YANBU they usually do put on extra trains / cars to deal with the football which is always busy.

madwomanbackintheattic Sat 05-Dec-15 22:50:58

I had to stand on one leg from Birmingham NS to Oxford one day. There literally wasn't enough room to put the other foot down. (Disclaimer. My feet are size 4, not huge plates of meat...) I had come from Glasgow and had a seat the rest of the way though... That hour was enough to persuade me to fly next time.

abbsismyhero Sat 05-Dec-15 22:52:51

we have been blown off our feet in the midlands we have had some huge trains from virgin but for some reason all our local ones have been cut down in size for the last couple of weeks not a clue why

ouryve Sat 05-Dec-15 22:58:29

There's only so much rolling stock to be had - for "local" trains, that'll be out of a set number and if you caught a long distance train, well, as someone mentioned at the start of the thread, many of them have been delayed in that grim bit called the North because of a bit of a breeze and a few puddles. Someone I know on another forum ended up taking 6 hours to cover the 100 minute journey from Edinburgh to Newcastle, earlier today.

thecapitalsunited Sat 05-Dec-15 23:03:28

One of the reasons is likely to be rainy autumn weather causing train wheels to slip. That causes the wheels to wear unevenly so they develop flat bits which can then damage the tracks. This means that in autumn wheels they have to be repaired more often than they would do in summer - wheel maintenance is a regular thing and they do it elsewhere too. They can't do that during the week because commuters (i.e. the people who actually pay for the service) wouldn't be able to get to work so it has to be done at the weekend.

Regular maintenance will also be scheduled to take place at the weekend for the same reason. The trains will all have a set number of miles they are allowed to run so it's not always possible to put on extra carriages if the train company have already had to plan their maintenance schedules around major events like the Rugby World Cup this year.

SistersOfPercy Sat 05-Dec-15 23:10:01

You must not be in the North! It is rather more than a Windy day!

Funny thing, I'm in the north and not a whisper of wind can be heard or felt at my house, which is the highest point of our city and usually gets hit badly.
Dh went out an hour ago and thought the car was going over at the bottom of the street. 200 yards away it was gale force. Strange stuff indeed

BankWadger Sat 05-Dec-15 23:23:38

Ah, it's like Central Scotland trains into Edinburgh in August. This year they put on 4 carriages. We were shock as in previous years it's been 2. It's still a squash with 4, but having only two was like trains in India - people hanging off the roof (okay not really, but they would have if they could).

dodobookends Sun 06-Dec-15 01:39:58

The East Coast trains cover routes from Scotland and the north

This one is a local train and only starts at Peterborough.

Some stations can't physically accommodate eight car trains

All of ours can take 12 and normally have 8.

There's no engineering work, and no reason other than sheer cussedness for them to cut the service from 8 to 4 on one of the busiest journeys on one of the busiest saturdays of the year.

It has been a bit windy round here but nothing like the awful weather so many of you are having (and news of which hadn't reached me when I posted the OP so sorry to anyone who thought I was being trivial)

ComposHatComesBack Sun 06-Dec-15 01:45:47

Sorry should have looked where you were travelling to

dodobookends Sun 06-Dec-15 01:55:22

No worries, it was the local service, perhaps I didn't make clear that it wasn't the intercity.

Bumdance Sun 06-Dec-15 08:29:25

Yes, sheer cussedness will be why they've done it hmm

Abbs at least one operator in the Midlands is struggling with the fact that they had a unit fire recently and I believe another unit still out from the last unit fire.

bustraintram Sun 06-Dec-15 08:38:54

As a pp said, wheel flats caused by leaves on the line is the most likely reason for a four car unit - other units will be in the depot for maintenance. To refer to it as sheer cussedness is rather unfair really - we in the public transport industry don't choose annoy our passengers for the fun of it - lets face it, it's easy enough for us to annoy passengers without going out of our way to!

Fuckitfay Sun 06-Dec-15 09:09:03

bustraintram it would be really nice if we were informed that a train has to run shorter than normal because of issues, otherwise we assume poor planning. I have heard announcements apologising for overcrowding as a short train has had to be run due to XYZ and it goes a long towards goodwill in putting up with poor conditions.

And to the poster above (sorry can't see name again on phone) who commented that commuters pay for the service in the week, it's not like weekend passengers don't buy a ticket. Some weekend passengers even have a £4K+ season ticket hmm

londonrach Sun 06-Dec-15 09:13:01

Yanbu. Sounds like my normal evening journey. Usually im sitting on the floor next to the toilets reading. Seeing the empty first class makes us corridor seaters and standers smile. If im one of the first one when it stops at my station ill get someone to move a bag and sit but no point if im not quick through the door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now