Talk

Advanced search

Sending Christmas cards

(12 Posts)
bigbluebus Sat 05-Dec-15 19:59:28

I usually take on the job of writing all the Christmas cards - i have always done it traditionally as DH used to work in a job where he worked 7 days a week in December due to increased Christmas workload.

Over the years I have tried to reduce the list but DH is reluctant to cut people out. He has got rid of one or two but there are still 4 people on the list that I don't think we should send cards to as he no longer has any contact with them and in my opinion, he wouldn't even know if they've moved house as it possibly wouldn't occur to them to tell him. These are all people he worked with in his previous job - 10 years ago.

AIBU to insist that we no longer waste time and money in sending these people cards? DH says it is traditional and in any case one of the people we cut of the list last year then sent us a card. I pointed out that it was probably only because we have routinely sent them one in previous years. Some of these people have DCs whose names I have written down but they have probably grown up and left home by now.

I have told DH I am not writing cards for these people and if he really wants them to have a card he can do it himself - but I still begrudge the extra postage on top of the huge pile of family and real friends who we have to send cards to as they are spread out all over the country.

Incidentally I send 3 cards to people I used to work with but 2 of thise are very close friends and one of them I kept in touch with for a number of years and bumped into fairly recently so know she still lives in the same place and would welcome a card with an update on the family.

TheTroubleWithAngels Sat 05-Dec-15 20:03:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sat 05-Dec-15 20:04:12

I didn't send any last year. First time ever. No-one commented.
Doubt I'll send any this year either. Christmas cards are passé IMO.

MissBattleaxe Sat 05-Dec-15 20:11:13

If he wants to send them he can write them himself.

bigbluebus Sat 05-Dec-15 20:38:12

He's currently writing the ones for his actual friends (rather than ex-colleagues). I'm not going to mention the others again - it's up to him.

Topseyt Sat 05-Dec-15 20:40:36

Last year was also my first time hardly sending any. I just sent them to my sister and my parents, not the wider family as we hardly know any of them and wouldn't recognise most of them if we walked past them in the street.

Life is just too short. Tell him that if the bloody Christmas cards are so important to him then he can find the time to write and post them.

For me it is also partly the cost of postage which has killed Christmas cards. I could spend a couple of quid on a large box of cards and then spend easily £15 - £20 on postage. Ridiculous.

DisappointedOne Sat 05-Dec-15 20:43:32

We send no cards and any that arrive go straight in the recycling. Waste of time and money. YANBU.

samsam123 Sat 05-Dec-15 20:49:23

thought I was the only person who put cards straight into the recycling smile agreed total waste of money and effort

janethegirl2 Sat 05-Dec-15 21:07:43

Would your dh know if you didn't send the cards?
I wouldn't and wouldn't tell him, but if they send you a card, make sure you have one to respond with and some first class stamps.
Xmas cards are such a pain!!

Twindroops Sat 05-Dec-15 21:13:57

I love Christmas Cards! I have edited our list a little over the last couple of years because of the postage costs but I make a conscious effort to write properly in each one, especially to older generation friends and relatives I really enjoy the tradition each year.

But definitely if he is bothered get him to write his own bloody cards!

paulapantsdown Sat 05-Dec-15 21:17:28

I stopped sending them about 10 years ago - apart from a few to my aged aunts abroad. Just two of them left now, so that won't take long!

NannyOggsHedgehogs Mon 07-Dec-15 11:28:49

I stopped sending when I left school. My mum updates the few remaining elderly relatives with photos of her grandkids,and I obviously write a thank you if someone sends them a gift.

I put the fiver straight in the charity pot instead of wasting half a tree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now