Talk

Advanced search

...To ask you to help me with music suggestions...

(18 Posts)
stuckinthemiddlewithpoo Sat 05-Dec-15 17:52:50

I'm having a christmas party in two weeks. There are a load of people coming. I'd ike to put together a really good playlist that is not cliche christmas but still christmas/winter themed and a bit funky and upbeat. I don't want any "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" kind of slow croons. No Mariah. Stuff people wouldn't have heard of, but when they hear it will make them move and enjoy.

Any suggestions?

00100001 Sat 05-Dec-15 18:23:21

YABU

no-one will care about the playlist.

Just shove whatever music on you want.a

BlueBananas Sat 05-Dec-15 18:26:03

No Mariah?! fshock VVVU!

morningtoncrescent62 Sat 05-Dec-15 18:51:00

Stop the Cavalry, Fairytale of New York and So This is Christmas and sure to get the party humming. <shows age>

LuisSuarezTeeth Sat 05-Dec-15 18:51:38

Ska. They won't have heard of it and they will move directly to the door. grin

MelanieCheeks Sat 05-Dec-15 18:53:06

Kenny Rogers and a capella group Home Free singing Children Go where I Send Thee.

CadenceRoastingByAnOpenFire Sat 05-Dec-15 18:56:22

I've got one of the Christmas various artists cds, think it might be Now that's what I call christmas. There's a few of the clichéd ones on there but also some more unusual ones that I'd never heard of. What about googling what was in the top ten singles chart at Christmas for the past few decades? Might give you some ideas.

Birdsgottafly Sat 05-Dec-15 19:06:49

I would throw a few Christmas/Winter themed tunes in but you want a good mix.

Is it a age varied group?

I personally would be disappointed if I went to a Christmas party and there wasn't the classics, such as, Sweet Caroline, as well as dance tracks.

JapaneseSlipper Sat 05-Dec-15 19:19:19

The Phil Spector Christmas Album is a great start. The Boney M one is also brilliant cheesy fun.
Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses.
Mele Kalikimaka.
Johnny Cash for the beginning or end of the night.
As for the classics - Slade, Wizzard, Chris Rea, The Pogues. Go on.
As for wintery stuff, there are loads of film scores that fit that bill, but tend not to be floor fillers - good for getting you in a christmassy mood as you're wrapping the presents though.

ComposHatComesBack Sat 05-Dec-15 19:42:06

I love the Phil Spector album too, great stuff. I'd also add Low's just like Christmas to the playlist.

In typing that I wondering why I'm quite happy to play the Phil Spector record in public but wouldn't dream of putting on Another Rock n Roll Christmas by the Glitter band.

redexpat Sat 05-Dec-15 21:18:26

Baby its cold outside. the tom jones and cerys from catatonia version.

RuggerHug Sat 05-Dec-15 21:24:52

Rockin around the Christmas tree album. All 50s Christmas music, 3 cds of it. Or just lash on Christmas FM and let them do the work, anyone can text in their requests, you don't have to do the searchingfgrin or the trans siberian orchestra version of carol of the bells on loop!fgrin

Disclaimer, I may be having a festive tipple now and just saying what I've had on so farfblush

IJustLostTheGame Sat 05-Dec-15 21:51:56

Yabu.

I like Christmas cheesy music.
fgrin

DoJo Sat 05-Dec-15 22:39:28

James Brown's Funky Christmas!

SisterMoonshine Sat 05-Dec-15 22:56:06

You haven't said what sort of music you like.
But for me, Jethro Tull's Christmas Album ticks the boxes.

DancingDuck Sat 05-Dec-15 23:03:32

I'd add some classics that make you dance, like I Don't Feel Like Dancing by the Scissor Sisters and Satisfied by Cee Lo. Or I Love To Love by Tina Charles. And all the big cheesy Christmas numbers

MelanieCheeks Sat 05-Dec-15 23:07:02

Erasure "snowglobe" album.

Junosmum Sun 06-Dec-15 03:30:22

Richard cheese did a Christmas album, that's a bit different. And reliant K have a great modern take on the traditional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now