Talk

Advanced search

To urge you all to buy a jar of coconut oil?

(245 Posts)
Littlefluffyclouds81 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:45:03

Some parts of this might be TMI, and I apologise in advance for that.

A few months ago, I had a boyfriend who had an unfortunate penis condition called balanitis, where it would get red, itchy and sore. The doctor prescribed him steroid cream and it did nothing to help, and in fact thinned the skin so much that his banjo string snapped shock

I did some reading on the Internet, and found a forum saying someone had cured his balanitis with coconut oil. I suggested it to my bf and he gave it a go, his condition cleared up within a few days by applying coconut oil.

I bought a jar of it myself this week as it was on offer on Amazon. So far, I've tried it out on thrush...I woke up with a definite case of it, got a lump out of the jar (it's solid and melts on contact), ummmm inserted it, and hey presto, instant relief and no symptoms since.

Then yesterday I had a mega spot. Like the kind of spot that takes up half of your face and would normally take 3 weeks to heal. I applied coconut oil to it several times yesterday, and when I woke up this morning the spot had pretty much gone.

I've also been putting it on my hands and feet, where I get stress eczema, and it provides instant relief, and seems to be clearing it up.

Other things that it can apparently cure are nappy rash, impetigo, most kinds of infections (can be ingested if it's an internal thing), and loads more, do some googling.

Anyway, felt like I had to share. I'm well chuffed that for 6 quid I have a product that seems to deal with a lot of common health problems, and it actually works (and fast)!

DoreenLethal Sat 05-Dec-15 11:45:59

I've had jars of coconut oil for years.

Please do not presume that everyone is ignorant of things just because you are.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 05-Dec-15 11:47:00

Thanks OP grin.

I've been using coconut oil for a while, I like it to cook with.

Queenbean Sat 05-Dec-15 11:48:07

I really hope you're washing your hands in between applying it on all those places....

shock

SummerNights1986 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:48:19

That's a bit unnecessary Doreen hmm. Who shit on your chips this morning.

SweetAdeline Sat 05-Dec-15 11:48:21

I've tried coconut oil but it actually made my eczema worse.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:48:33

Well I was ignorant! Thanks OP, I'll give it a go smile

Littlefluffyclouds81 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:48:42

Doreen - I wasn't suggesting that everyone was ignorant, thanks very much. You might know about it but I'm sure there's lots of people who don't.

Trills Sat 05-Dec-15 11:48:43

You are unreasonable to post in AIBU about this.

Are you really asking if it is unreasonable to recommend this?

Really?

nutbrownhare15 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:49:14

It gets rid of nappy rash within hours. I'm trying it on cradle cap too. And it also works as a massage oil.

Queenbean Sat 05-Dec-15 11:49:16

Doreen that's harsh - please do not presume that everyone is as knowledgable of things just because you are!

PurpleDaisies Sat 05-Dec-15 11:49:22

I'm glad it works for you. It brings me out in spots so I don't use it.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:49:40

grin queenbee - yes don't worry, religiously.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 05-Dec-15 11:50:29

Some people just like being snippy Summer, perhaps Doreen is one of themsmile

Pancakeflipper Sat 05-Dec-15 11:50:30

Well I am ignorant apologies to Doreen cos I keep hearing stuff about it but not being totally sure on how to actually use it.

So thanks to those happy to teach the ignorant.

SirChenjin Sat 05-Dec-15 11:50:41

As someone who has recently discovered coconut oil for my frizzy hair I'm very happy that the OP has shared ideas for other uses. Anyone got any other suggestions? Doreenter - rather than posting snippy comments about being ignorant (it's coconut oil FFS) - perhaps you could tell us what you use it for please?

Littlefluffyclouds81 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:50:46

Trills - you have a point but if I'd posted it in the right place about 3 people would have seen it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:51:15

A few posters have clearly got out of bed the wrong side this morning....get some Christmas spirit people. fbiscuit

Timri Sat 05-Dec-15 11:52:11

Coconut oil is great. Just make sure it's 100% cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Ie the stuff you use for cooking.
And it's too heavy for a lot of people to use on their face regularly (causes spots in lots of people) however it's an amazing make up remover.

rollonthesummer Sat 05-Dec-15 11:53:25

Please do not presume that everyone is ignorant of things just because you are.

What an unpleasant thing to write! I've learnt about lots of new things by reading posts on here like the OP's. Don't reply if you know already! Or reply saying, 'yes, I agree-it's also useful for xyz'

Littlefluffyclouds81 Sat 05-Dec-15 11:53:52

Ooh, burns, that's another thing it's good for apparently.

PhilPhilConnors Sat 05-Dec-15 11:54:46

Oil pulling with it (swishing it around your mouth for 20 minutes a day) is supposed to be very good for your teeth and gums.
I can't stand the taste of it though.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 05-Dec-15 11:54:47

I use it when I fry veg or thin pieces of meat for escalopes , it doesn't make the food taste coconutty at all.

It's got a high smoking point too and supposedly healthier for us as the heating doesn't change the reaction in the fat ( or something like that )

Timri Sat 05-Dec-15 11:54:55

Other uses: cooking (one of the healthier oils), skin moisturiser, hair treatment (can use tiny bit as leave in moisturiser for Afro or curlier hair, if you hair will look greasy leaving it in? Then just use it as a deep conditioner and wash out)

PhilPhilConnors Sat 05-Dec-15 11:55:57

Don't put anything on a fresh burn apart from cool (but not freezing) water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now