Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why I feel so shit all the time

(11 Posts)
Grapeeatingweirdo Sat 05-Dec-15 10:37:52

Just that really. Lately, I'm just feeling crap. Down, depressed, unmotivated and just sad.

I have a history of depression but find the side effects of antidepressants too intrusive for my job.

Right now, I just want to crawl into a hole and die.

I have a packet of fluoxetine in the cupboard that I am resisting the urge to open.

Help is needed. I guess my question is: AIBU to wish I could make myself better without antidepressants or AIBU to ask what remedies you use if you also have depression.

Kpo58 Sat 05-Dec-15 10:47:44

Have you asked the doctor to change the anti depressants as they don't seem to be working? That can have a huge affect.

When you do feel a little better, get a blank book and only write in it things that make you happy and stick pictures that make you happy. It will remind you of the good things in life that you can't think of at the moment.

Have you got a fleecy blanket? They are like having a huge hug when wrapped around you, for whenever you need a hug and others aren't around.

Do things such as animals make you feel better? If possible, ask a friend with a large happy huggable dog to bring the dog over. Hugging the dog can make you feel better and maybe you could all go out and walk the dog. Watching pets play in the park really brings up my spirits and getting to join in, even just throwing toy for the dog is so uplifting.

Grapeeatingweirdo Sat 05-Dec-15 10:52:42

That's such a lovely post, thank you. I will try those things.

I am going to go back to the GP and ask for help because I'm just feeling worse and worse every day now and it can't continue.

The only problem with any ADs that I've tried is that they turn me into a tired robot with nothing to say for myself (and no...fizz in a certain department) and the fallout in terms of jobs and relationships is often worse than if I had avoided medication in the first place.

Goztepe Sat 05-Dec-15 10:59:54

flowers sorry to read you're feeling like this...it certainly sounds like you need a trip back to GP.

If a past event is recurring to bring you down then maybe speak about a good therapist (but no quick fix).

Hope you feel better soon, it's just horrible feeling down all the time.

hefzi Sat 05-Dec-15 11:15:12

flowers There are loads and loads and loads of different ADs, and fluoxetine is a first line option, so there are heaps of things your doctor can try with you: it may well take a bit of trial and error to find what suits you best and what helps most, but please don't give up. You deserve to be well and happy.

Also, if you haven't tried counselling, perhaps ask to be referred? (Or even if you have.)

Further to what KPo said: I go and feed the ducks if I am really struggling - I am the only person above the age of five there, but it makes me feel happy because of all their antics.

Please - pop to the GP on Monday, and start getting some help, because it really doesn't have to be like this for you.

catfordbetty Sat 05-Dec-15 13:24:10

Fluoxetine (Prozac) has been succeeded by a number of other SSRIs. Explain the unwanted effects you've experienced with fluoxetine - there may well be something suitable for you.

AliceScarlett Sat 05-Dec-15 13:43:06

I'd have some talking therapy, you might learn some skills to cope that means you won't have to take meds.

redexpat Sat 05-Dec-15 14:08:08

Get outside in the fresh air every day for a walk.

You need small goals to achieve eg today I will write 3 xmas cards.

Longer term Id recommend a happiness board. Everytime you experience sometging you put a memento on the board. See a film, keep the ticket etc. At the end of the year you realise how productive youve been.

Im a big fan of routine and structured activity, esp yoga. Also zumba if you can face it. Its v good for endorphines.

AliceScarlett Sat 05-Dec-15 14:33:56

www.ntw.nhs.uk/pic/selfhelp/

These leaflets are fantastic, on the 2nd shelf there is the depression one.

Freezingwinter Sat 05-Dec-15 14:37:37

Please go back to your gp, they can help! Lots of people take antidepressants and i think you just need to find one that works for you. Even if it means changing two or three times, it's a case of trial and error until you find something that helps.

Sit on the sofa, with some hot chocolate and a hot water bottle, and be kind to yourself. And I definitely second the suggestion of animals, my dog is a lifesaver for lifting mood and I think you might benefit from that too.

TendonQueen Sat 05-Dec-15 14:39:49

Do you get sick pay straight away? If so I'd plan on taking a few days off at least while you try the things above and get yourself sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now