Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to fight the school powermum?

(188 Posts)
newforester Fri 04-Dec-15 20:55:22

First time post, registered with mumsnet to get this off my chest actually! My children's school has a power mum. Helps in the school office (100 kids, small school), goes to all headmaster coffee mornings, lives v close to headmaster, on the PTA etc. She wins the 'guess the bear's name' competition at the xmas fayre after whispering that she won nothing in the raffle. She brings her dog into school with her, no-one else does. I am a reasonably intelligent person. I don't want her status, I just REALLY resent her overpowering status. Am I just bitter and twisted, should I grumble into my cheap wine or say something?

TheSpottedZebra Fri 04-Dec-15 20:57:06

And you're going to fight her?
Like an arm wrestle, or just a bit of old-skool hair pulling?

PotOfYoghurt Fri 04-Dec-15 20:57:40

Say what?

Has she actually done anything to you, or do you just not like her?

If it's the latter then YABU, otherwise more info is required.

newforester Fri 04-Dec-15 20:58:21

Don't tempt me...

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 04-Dec-15 20:59:49

Unless she has a gripe against you or your dc's I don't see what she's done wrong.

She won the bear's name competition? , does it really matter 🐻

VenusRising Fri 04-Dec-15 20:59:51

Back away, and get on with something that will benefit you.

Don't engage, it's a waste of time!

She's not a power mum, she's a sad individual who can't won't make it in the real world grin and has no drinking mates.... And I bet she smells of dog.

ofallthenerve Fri 04-Dec-15 21:02:19

YABU unless she has actually done anything worth 'fighting' her over... and I assume you are using a metaphor and aren't actually planning to beat her up...?

SoupDragon Fri 04-Dec-15 21:05:25

Do you volunteer to help at all?

I'm failing to see what she's done wrong TBH.

SumThucker Fri 04-Dec-15 21:06:31

You sound well jel... and like you're 12.

ilovesooty Fri 04-Dec-15 21:08:01

Some of this seems ridiculous. So she helps at school and she's on the PTA?

givemushypeasachance Fri 04-Dec-15 21:08:26

There's no such thing as a "power mum". She's just a mum who is quite involved in the life of the school. It's not compulsory, some people just have the opportunity and desire to get more involved in voluntary activities than other people, and someone is always going to be the most involved person. That only gives them "status" if you choose to think about it in that way.

Unless the headteacher has given her a badge and a sash and a special parking space with her name stencilled on it... then you would be within your rights to be narked off.

Marshy Fri 04-Dec-15 21:08:31

Step back and find something more interesting to do. Honestly, it's really not worth it.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 04-Dec-15 21:09:16

What exactly would you plan on saying to her anyway?

merrymouse Fri 04-Dec-15 21:09:23

YANBU. You need to take her dahn - show her there is a new guvner and this is your manor.

Maybe volunteer to organise forest school status? Or perhaps organic locally sourced school meals? Or perhaps teach the children tai chi?

RoseWithoutAThorn Fri 04-Dec-15 21:11:05

Let me get this right, she helps in the school office, lives near the HT and goes for coffee with him, she also won the name the bear competition? What an absolute cunt she is. confused. It sounds as if your jealous for absolutely no reason.

ilovesooty Fri 04-Dec-15 21:11:40

Or move even closer to the head teacher than she's living?

ofallthenerve Fri 04-Dec-15 21:11:40

YANBU. You need to take her dahn - show her there is a new guvner and this is your manor.

grin Merry. This made me lol laugh out loud.

newforester Fri 04-Dec-15 21:13:35

Maybe you're right. I'm happy to be wrong...bear with me, this is an evening long alcohol type of unburdoning! I suppose it's twofold and it is a bit unreasonable you're right, I don't like her patronising attitude. She is married to a local bigwig and makes sure we all know how connected she is. But I really resent how she is such a strong influence in a small community school. We have a young new headteacher who appears to bow to her will. Her pedigree dog in the school office - my 20 month old daughter stood in dog poo outside the school office this afternoon and it's a gated site. Her son won the 'name a bear' competition in the school xmas fayre after she complained that she hadn't won anything in the raffle. Sorry, maybe I am being prejudiced.

Marshy Fri 04-Dec-15 21:14:58

Op the nuances of this are lost on the other poweremums on this thread some. Seriously, leave her to it.

viioletsarentblue Fri 04-Dec-15 21:15:46

goes to all headmaster coffee mornings, lives v close to headmaster

anything else, with this headmaster? hmm

MammaTJ Fri 04-Dec-15 21:15:59

I can handle pissed type rants from my friends, not so sure about on MN!

Owllady Fri 04-Dec-15 21:16:25

Fight! fight! fight!
<Harry hill>

SumThucker Fri 04-Dec-15 21:16:59

What the fuck is a 'powermum', as I'm being accused of being one?

ilovesooty Fri 04-Dec-15 21:17:10

What was the bear's name?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 04-Dec-15 21:17:25

I'd stop posting if you're getting pissed 🍷, you're repeating yourself grin.

Leave it and don't fight her, it won't end well.

You do have a point about the dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now