Talk

Advanced search

To ask you how I can make my dds (2 and 5) weekends more interesting?

(14 Posts)
Poppybella2015 Fri 04-Dec-15 20:31:33

My other half works in retail so it is just me and the dds age 2 and 5 at the weekends. I do not have a car. I am so shattered by Saturday we end up just chilling out all day and on Sunday's I clean the house. They seem happy just playing with their toys on Saturdays but by Sunday's they are so bored. I would like to give them nice weekends they can remember. Any ideas anyone? We have a small park near us, a local shop, a (very expensive) cafe, and a nice little toy shop that sells a lot of pocket money price toys. That's it. They enjoy baking and colouring and crafts but the 2 year old has limited attention and the 5 year old would love to do crafts for hours. I would love to set up a weekend routine for us rather than just slobbing all weekend. And even maybe improving their skills in some way. And try some different things so we don't do the same thing every weekend. Any ideas would be appreciated flowers

ThePartyArtist Fri 04-Dec-15 20:37:40

Loads of things you can do and don't have to be expensive.

Have friends over to play.

Go somewhere on a bus - even just a bus ride as an activity is exciting for small children. But maybe pick somewhere you can get to that has a park, or a cafe or shop or something to give a focus?

Swimming if you can get to a pool.

Fun outdoor activities - try googling for ideas, you don't need much. Build a den outdoors, gather leaves, splash in puddles. You don't need to be a massively outdoorsy person to make these things fun for children.

Imaginative play at home - role-play cafes, make dens using a clothes airer and a sheet, gather things from around the house and play shops.

Borrow a neighbour's dog to take for a walk.

nippiesweetie Fri 04-Dec-15 21:21:00

Loads of suggestions here. Note - scroll down you don't need to buy the pack or join the Woodland Trust to access the activities. There are indoor and outdoor activities.

www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/naturedetectives/

cestlavielife Fri 04-Dec-15 21:23:46

Local library or pool or both

Poppybella2015 Fri 04-Dec-15 21:34:02

That website is brilliant thank you

Thank you for all the other ideas too. I am going to make a list.....

nippiesweetie Fri 04-Dec-15 21:34:38

Though the membership packs are great if they are within your budget.

April2013 Fri 04-Dec-15 21:35:56

Perhaps voluntary dog walking for a local charity? I used to do that at the weekend though not with kids, you could get a pet or pets? Maybe watch 'my pet and me' on CBeebies for inspiration? Obviously you would then have the extra responsibility through the week too. I think learning to be gentle with animals and how to care for them is a great thing for young children, though perhaps you need to get indoor pets otherwise they probably won't see them much over winter. Or perhaps 1 daytrip a weekend is the way to go.

RubbleBubble00 Fri 04-Dec-15 21:41:52

theimaginationtree.com/2012/12/white-clay-ornaments-tutorial.html

We made these at weekend and they made the left over dough glittery and played with it after for good hour plus. We used lots of cutters, plastic scissors, rolling pins. Mine are the same age and stayed at table for ages

RubbleBubble00 Fri 04-Dec-15 21:43:28

couple of large basins on the kitchen floor filled with water and washing up liquid is great too

Discopanda Fri 04-Dec-15 22:09:48

Indoor dance party! Now Christmas is coming up I'm going to be making cards with my 3 year old and some handprint art. I second the Imagination Tree for ideas and Red Ted Art. We go on Gruffalo and bear hunts too and go to feed the ducks. Homemade play dough is a winner too.

Bettercallsaul1 Fri 04-Dec-15 22:42:40

Weekly visit to library and then book session at home? Enjoyable and educational!

ShamefulPlaceMarker Fri 04-Dec-15 22:44:15

I'n alone alot on the weekends too, as my husband works.
If the weather's truly dire then we stay in or head to indoor activity such as soft play/swimming/library/nt property.
If itms okay outside then we go for a walk and usually collect stuff for craft.... We're going to collect sticks tomorrow to make stars smile
There's lots of christmas things going on atm too.

memememum Sat 05-Dec-15 00:58:18

Are there any schools or churches within reach? At this time of year there seems to be a school or church fair every weekend!

Poppybella2015 Mon 07-Dec-15 08:06:21

Thank you some lovely suggestions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now