Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To pick a brand new surname

(11 Posts)
Racmactac Fri 04-Dec-15 19:09:55

I am divorced, I don't want to keep his surname because well he's an idiot.
I don't want to go back to maiden name because it was my dads name and he was useless arse as well.

My ds has my exes name and I will obviously not change that.

I want a new surname, do I pick a random one? My dm has researched our family tree and a distant relative had a name that I quite like.

Would it be strange to pick a random new name?
I have a new partner and I don't want his name either even if we get married.

KeepOnMoving1 Fri 04-Dec-15 19:11:27

Yanbu, sounds like the perfect time for a new start.

helenahandbag Fri 04-Dec-15 19:12:28

YANBU, go for it!

Mouthfulofquiz Fri 04-Dec-15 19:12:55

I think it sounds like an excellent idea!

stairway Fri 04-Dec-15 19:16:46

What about your mums maiden name?

AlisonWunderland Fri 04-Dec-15 19:19:03

Racmactac would make an awesome surname!

Racmactac Fri 04-Dec-15 19:19:51

I appear to come from a family with useless men so no I don't want my grandfathers name either!

(I hope my boys will break the cycle!)

elephantoverthehill Fri 04-Dec-15 19:24:39

Just a little word of caution. I reverted back to my maiden name after my divorce. All has been fine and I have declared both names for 3 DBS checks and a couple of passport applications. However when my DS was applying for a student loan I ran into problems, my birth certificate wasn't good enough or the DBS checks. My Decree Absolute was not good enough as it had my married name on, not my maiden name. I apparently should have had a 'legal change of name'. In the end I had to apply for a copy of my marriage certificate!

littlemermaid80 Fri 04-Dec-15 19:24:48

My DH is in the process of changing his name (and mine) back to his mother's maiden name. Its a nice name and I don't mind. His mother means more to him then his dad.

How about your mum's maiden name?

BubsandMoo Fri 04-Dec-15 19:25:44

I think it sounds like a fab idea. I'd do the same in your situation. I'd love to make a new name with a partner if I marry. Why should women have to take surnames of various men in their life.

Go for it grin

Racmactac Fri 04-Dec-15 19:32:53

I'm going to do a statutory declaration of name change. Hopefully that will keep everyone happy.
Thanks, everyone seems ok with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now