Advanced search

in thinking someone needs to take responsibility?

(9 Posts)
lanbro Fri 04-Dec-15 18:07:39

Round the corner from me a Shetland pony is kept in a ramshackle stable in someone's front garden. It a large housing estate of semis, gardens are about 6m x 6m at the front. The pony is regularly tethered to a tree on the grass outside the property, the pavement runs between houses and piece of grass. The grass is council property.

Today, whilst walking the dog, the pony was wandering across the pavement, had churned up all the grass and the pavement was covered in mud and manure. I rang 101 for advice who said to phone the council. Rang council who took details but aren't prepared to do anything. Rang 101 again who said if the council don't want to take action they can't act as it's the council land!

The law says fly grazing is illegal yet no one is bothered. What if we all decided to tether ponies right outside our house? Or maybe I'll tie a goat to my gatepost? Surely this can't be right?! Infuriated!

Mysteryfla Fri 04-Dec-15 18:11:03

Phone the paper, or local TV station.

NotAWhaleOmeletteInSight Fri 04-Dec-15 18:41:22

What Mysteryfla said.

ThatsNiceDear Fri 04-Dec-15 18:51:23

What is your main concern, its welfare, the grass, or something else?

Katedotness1963 Fri 04-Dec-15 18:53:34

Doesn't sound like a very nice life for him, maybe phone the RSPCA?

teahousecandle Fri 04-Dec-15 18:56:33

Poor pony sad

Straycatblue Fri 04-Dec-15 23:31:45

Can you take some photos/video as evidence?

I dont know the law about keeping horses in gardens.

If you are in England? There is new legislation about fly grazing which came into force this year giving local authorities powers to enforce

Some information about tethering

It sounds like if he is just on the street at the very least he could be at risk of being attacked by dogs, tormented by children. Or perhaps even spooking into someone and accidentally injuring them.

There is a phone number at the bottom of the British Horse society link above you can call ^. The BHS link also has some good photos of tethering dos and donts.


World horse welfare line i dont think is staffed at weekend unfortunately.

If you are in England you can contact RSPCA, if in Scotland SSPCA.
You can also get in touch with World Horse Welfare who in my experience are often better in terms of dealing with cruelty to horses. However the BHS is probably the best in terms of finding out what your options are legally I suspect.

lanbro Sat 05-Dec-15 08:21:38

Thank you Stray for taking the time to post. The police actually contacted me last night asking for more information so it looks like they are taking it seriously.

I'm concerned for the pony, which never seems to get any exercise, but also for the state of the neighbourhood snob. Hopefully it's now being addressed, I will keep my beady eye out and WHW will be my next point of call if no joy.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 05-Dec-15 08:28:42

The poor Pony sad, RSPCA or equivalent would be my first call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now