Talk

Advanced search

Skip lorry at 6.15am

(25 Posts)
M48294Y Fri 04-Dec-15 08:15:36

Aibu to think this is anti-social and unreasonable?

MythicalKings Fri 04-Dec-15 08:20:48

YABU. Very inconsiderate

LineyReborn Fri 04-Dec-15 08:20:50

Depends. If my neighbours did it as a necessary one off, I wouldn't mind.

He starts work at 7am, so he sometimes needs to organise things early in the morning.

WizardOfToss Fri 04-Dec-15 08:23:57

One off, annoying but acceptable. The sort of thing that happens when you live on a street. Let it go.

Regularly, pain in the arse and worth a word.

M48294Y Fri 04-Dec-15 08:44:21

I think my patience is wearing thin from the constant noise and disruption from next door, who have totally gutted and refurbished their house and garden. We've had three long days of what I can only describe as angle grinding going on in the front room this week. I can't think why a 6.15am collection was necessary? The new skip hasn't been delivered yet.

hellsbellsmelons Fri 04-Dec-15 08:55:06

We had to do this recently when we moved.
Skip lorry arrived really early.
I didn't feel too guilty though as our neighbours had scaffolding put up at 6:30am on a Saturday (my only day to have a lie in) and the same when it was taken down.
And they can party as well and could have music going until the wee small hours.
And they could drill until gone 10pm so it's all swings and roundabouts to me.
Annoying but that's the life of a skip lorry driver I'm afraid.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 09:05:43

If it's an occasional thing I wouldn't be too bothered.

I live near a village shop and they get their massive wheelie bin emptied twice a week at 6am. Big lorry reverses and beeps, noisy mechanism to lift the giant bin, rubbish crashing into the lorry. Twice a fucking week for years!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 09:06:14

And your neighbours are unlikely to have had any idea it was coming so early.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 04-Dec-15 09:14:40

I'm with you on this. After three months of early morning skip collections, workies cars blocking our road and 7am drilling and sawing on a Sunday, I'm about ready to throttle dear neighbour. He owns the bloody company! The way he acts though you'd think he owns the street.

Daisysbear Fri 04-Dec-15 09:32:10

Too early, and annoying for anyone living close by. YANBU.

BlueBananas Fri 04-Dec-15 09:35:21

In my experience skips don't generally give you a time, particularly for picking up
So it may not be your neighbours fault and they might have been annoyed by the earlyness of it too

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 09:38:05

It will have been picked up so early because someone else will have booked it and be expecting it at 9am. So skip man has to go and empty it and get it somewhere else for first thing when the builders arrive.

Daisysbear Fri 04-Dec-15 09:39:24

Could it not have been picked up the evening before?

chrome100 Fri 04-Dec-15 10:14:07

It's not too early in the week, most people are getting up then. At the weekend I'd be pretty cheesed off!

ILiveAtTheBeach Fri 04-Dec-15 10:14:35

This would really annoy me. We have shared gardens here, and the maintenance company arrive on a weekend, at 8am, with chainsaws. So loud that they have to wear ear defenders. I could wring their fucking necks.

M48294Y Fri 04-Dec-15 10:17:54

We get up at 7.15am so I lost a much needed hour of sleep! If permitted hours for building works are 8am to 6pm I don't understand why this is seen as acceptable?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Dec-15 10:24:11

He wouldn't have been able to pick it up the night before because some people will insist they need it in the evening, they've paid for it,metc.

More importantly the tip will be shut.

MiaowTheCat Fri 04-Dec-15 10:43:33

You don't get much of a choice with skips - they just show up and pick it up whenever they get round to it on their list of jobs for the day.

We're in the middle of having a lot of building stuff done and, while I try desperately to be considerate over it all - part of me thinks that the other neighbours it's affecting haven't done the same to me regarding barbecues going on till 5am, power tools in the garden every single day from March to October and the like - why am I tying myself up in knots to be considerate back to them!?

The building trade is a bit of a law unto itself about delivering and picking stuff up though - seems to very much be done when they get round to it (which is probably why I've been waiting three fucking weeks for my new window to be delivered)!

LyndaNotLinda Fri 04-Dec-15 11:21:31

Skip lorries always come early because they block the street when they're loading/unloading and it's the easiest way of guaranteeing they have somewhere to put the skip (no commuters).

You get absolutely no choice in when they turn up. Neighbours' building work is annoying but as with all these things, we expect our neighbours to be tolerant if we're having enormous amounts of work done. Cuts both ways

MaxPepsi Fri 04-Dec-15 11:39:32

I'd just be thankful that they have come to pick it up. Rather than have it potentially festering away for weeks on end.

Some most in my experience skip companies leave their skips on site until they are required for another job. They don't really give a shit if it inconveniences anyone. They have been paid and they don't need to worry about storage.

neepsandtatties Fri 04-Dec-15 11:48:43

Yep, you get no say about when the skip gets picked up. In fact it is very difficult to get one collected - it's well known that they keep fobbing you off until they actually need the skip for another job. Our latest one we were calling every other day for about 2 weeks before they finally collected it (without notice). At 5.30 am!!!!!

So annoying yes, but not likely to be within your neighbour's control.

Daisysbear Fri 04-Dec-15 11:52:50

I agree re skips being left blocking up pavements on residential roads for ages. It's seriously annoying, not to mention a safety risk, and there should be stricter laws regarding this.

VegetablEsoup Fri 04-Dec-15 11:59:29

in our area lorries/large vans are not allowed from 7:00 to 18:00 without expensive exception certificate explain this to the washing mashine delivery guys...

so skips come in the middle of the night...

MaxPepsi Fri 04-Dec-15 12:00:01

They have permits so the council won't be bothered!

Foxyloxy1plus1 Fri 04-Dec-15 12:09:26

I think permitted hours for building start earlier than 8am. 6.15 would be annoying though.

I got the rage when a delivery lorry arrived really early before the workmen were there to meet him and sat outside my bedroom window wi h the engine running for half an hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now