To think how could this happen again?!!

(14 Posts)
Imknackeredzzz Fri 04-Dec-15 06:08:07

A month or so ago I had my first disastrous with my 7 month old- completely my fault I left him in the middle of the king size bed while I ran to the next door bedroom to grab something. You guessed it he rolled off and landed hard on the floor! .... Nightmare it was but he was ok thankfully.

I swore nothing like that would ever happen again as j was inconsolable with guilt at the time. However yesterday I folded up a playpen (metal) and stupidly decided to change him underneath it. I don't know what the hell I was thinking- I obviously wasn't thinking. Sleep deprived maybe.

Anyway you guessed it, it fell. The whole weight of the play pen onto his little head!!!! My god the scream. And the panic. Again thankfully after being checked out he seems to be ok but how the hell does this keep happening!? Why am I being so bloody stupid!!!!?

God I feel so guilty and he has a massive bruise on his head this morning sad

amysmummy12345 Fri 04-Dec-15 06:23:59

I has similar happen to me when dd was a baby, rolled out the bed and a few months later I put a lovely wind catcher on a fan to entertain her, she caught a ribbon and pulled said fan on her, she had the imprint of the fan guard on her nose 😌 these things happen, and anyone who says otherwise either hasn't got a kid, has got theirs stored away in a drawer wrapped in cotton wool or are fibbing 😋 x

Needtobebetter Fri 04-Dec-15 06:27:50

Oh OP it's awful when they get hurt, particularly when we feel like it's something we caused or could have prevented. But, honestly, these things happen and will continue to happen just because they do. You must have had an awful scare, but try to put it behind you and treat them as incidents in isolation rather than a chain of events. It happens to everyone so know that it's not just you. The best thing you can do is do what you did - not panic (outwardly) and seek medical help. Try not to give yourself a hard time.

Cardbordeaux Fri 04-Dec-15 07:02:06

Don't be so hard on yourself, OP. These things happen and, in my experience, even when you make things as safe as you possibly can, the children will.simply find all new and inventive ways to hurt themselves. When we put safety gates up for DC1 the very first thing he did was to use one to pull himself standing then headbutted it. Hard.

We dropped one of our DC off the bed twice in the same day when he was about 7 or 8mo. He rolled off the bed that morning, hit his head off the skirting board, it was horrible and I felt awful. That evening I was sitting on the bed with him while his bath was running. I got up to check the bath and told DH to sit with him so he wouldn't fall off again. DH decided to make him laugh by belly flopping onto the bed, only when he did his belly flop it caused a mattress - quake. The resulting bounce bounced DS straight off the bed, into the wall, and onto the floor.....

TheHouseOnTheLane Fri 04-Dec-15 07:22:11

flowers When DD was about 5 days old, she was lying in her basket beside the sofa. She had no stand on the basket so was right on the floor....I placed my copy of "The Contented Little Baby Book" on the arm of my chair and then knocked it off right onto her head!

The irony!

Days later I did the same with a full bottle of formula.

She's 11 now and fine I think. grin

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 04-Dec-15 07:23:13

Honestly, it is not you being stupid, these things happen. And the fact that you feel upset and guilty is a sign that you are a good parent, you wouldn't care if your children were hurt if you weren't a good parent.
Every child has accidents (The worst for me was my daughter standing up in the trolley at the supermarket when she was 8 months old when I hadn't strapped her in and falling out onto the hard supermarket floor), it does not mean you are stupid!

Birdsgottafly Fri 04-Dec-15 08:26:15

I think your first does take a bit of a bashing.

On your second +, you realise that it won't harm them to cry, because you've left them somewhere safe.

I, unfortunately had a big age gap, so it took a while to sink in, again and I fell downstairs whilst carrying her.

defineme Fri 04-Dec-15 08:39:02

I had dtwins and always fed ds2 from my right breast and I sleep on the right side of the bed. Not once, but twice, i managed to fall asleep during a night feed and drop him on the floor! He's 10 nowsmile

GreenPotato Fri 04-Dec-15 08:56:00

I was entertaining my pfb aged about 5 months with a lovely rainstick, waving it about as he lay on the playmat to make a fascinating, educational noise. Yes, you can guess the rest... I fumbled, dropped it and it fell right on his face. blush

I think it's the combination of a steep learning curve and sleep deprivation - accidents happen. You're not stupid and you do care. Glad he's OK flowers

bushtailadventures Fri 04-Dec-15 09:00:36

I was changing dgd, reached for a nappy, and she fell off the changing table onto a concrete floor, if thats any comfort? To make things worse, I am a dm of four and was a childminder for more years than I care to remember, so I really should know better!

My dc have had various accidents over the years too, but somehow this felt worse..by the time we saw a doctor she was laughing, I was still in tears smile

steakpunararemediumwelldone Fri 04-Dec-15 10:09:06

I left 7 months dd on a sofa to answer the phone. She rolled off and banged her head. Had her checked, all fine. Came home and was lying on same sofa cuddling her, telling her I was never going to let her get hurt again ( ha!), Picked her up so her head was parallel with mine to lower her for a kiss and dropped her straight on my face! Covered both of us with my nose bleed, concussed myself, both of us screaming and sobbing.
My next door neighbour came round to see who was being killed what was going on and made us all laugh by veering off into hysterics herself. It happens, dd is 8 now and just grand! Do not beat yourself up!

Imknackeredzzz Fri 04-Dec-15 11:59:05

Dear oh dear thanks everyone for your stories - he seems ok this morning apart from the bruise - so again I'm going to swear it will never happen again!

Thurlow Fri 04-Dec-15 12:01:55

Ah, but when they get older there are just more entertaining ways to accidentally hurt them.

Like suddenly deciding that we'll break into a run and then ending up dragging a 3yo on their knees along the path...

SupSlick Fri 04-Dec-15 20:04:00

When my DS was 3 days old, I bumped his head off the towel rail in the bathroom. I cried for about a month!

No lasting damage but he does like to spin around in circles for up to an hour without stopping grin

Sleep deprivation, baby brain & lack of contact with adults makes us clumsy fuckers. It happens, but as long as you get them checked & they're okay, don't beat yourself up too much about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now