Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much painting / arty stuff year 1 children do in school?

(21 Posts)
Dameshazaba Thu 03-Dec-15 23:07:10

I ask because I'm a bit worried about Ds aged 5. I have never ever seen him paint a face, draw a person, or show the remotest inclination of drawing while at home, despite all the things like easel, paints, papers, pencils etc easy for him to get hold of. He simply doesn't choose to do it. His handwriting is also a major struggle, so I'm wondering if there is something actually wrong - fine motor skills, visual discrimination ability or something?

He doesn't seem to bring anything home creative from school- I'm just a bit surprised. I feel a bit silly asking, but do they not do painting etc in school these days at this age? Or is he choosing not to do it? Or is there something wrong with him?!

I sound like a nitwit, I know. Be gentle.

Ineedtimeoff Thu 03-Dec-15 23:23:01

I seem to remember that we didn't get very much back from school in P1 or at least not until the end of a term when they were doing a clear out. Not like in nursery where she brought home her 'art work' everyday.

My DD doesn't really colour in, paint or draw at home. She's too busy doing other stuff.

Have you had a parents evening yet that you can ask about it?

Dameshazaba Thu 03-Dec-15 23:33:43

Yes but they sort of fobbed me off I thought, oh yes we do painting, we keep the work for their learning journal....

cariadlet Thu 03-Dec-15 23:50:40

When I taught Foundation, children probably carried out a creative activity with an adult a couple of times a week and the art area was always available during child-initiated time. Some children would paint/draw/make models/make collages (depending on their interest) every day.

Now that I teach Year 1 there is far less time for art. We have to teach English, Maths, guided reading and phonics every day and also have a daily assembly. Somehow we also have to fit in science, history, geography, computing, art, DT, music, PE (2 sessions a week), RE and PHSE. Plus a weekly library slot.

It's really trying to squeeze a quart into a pint bottle.

We teach an art unit of work for 3 half-terms a year, and a D.T. unit of work on the alternate half-terms. Even in the half-term that we're teaching art, that's only 1 lesson a week. Some children might decide to do art activities during golden time on a Friday, but not all of them will.

bebanjo Fri 04-Dec-15 00:14:57

Op, do you ever sit and draw or paint?
I do, and I find my DD has always asked if she could join in.
Just a thought.

I'm no good by the way, just do it for fun😄

SummerNights1986 Fri 04-Dec-15 00:21:40

I would think that the important thing is whether he can do it, even if he chooses not to.

As in....can he actually draw a face and a recognisable person? Have you asked him to draw one before to see if he can?

CrohnicallyAspie Fri 04-Dec-15 06:40:20

My DN is in year 1 and does art or DT once a week, her artwork is kept in a folder at school same as her literacy and maths work, it's evidence of what she's been learning. They also have a small amount of choosing time where she often draws pictures that she is allowed to take home- but this is her choice to do it. And there are times when the teacher will do a subject-orientated craft, sometimes this is taken home, sometimes put in their topic folder (off the top of my head she made a poppy for rememberance day, animal masks for their Africa topic, lantern decorations at Halloween)

If you're concerned, you could always make another appointment with the teacher to discuss in more detail, at parents' evening she might have been pressed for time or not realised that you actually have a serious concern.

And fine motor skills don't have to be mark-making. He could also do things like Lego, play dough, loom bracelets in order to strengthen his fingers and improve his hand-eye coordination.

Slowjog Fri 04-Dec-15 06:43:13

Not much in our year 1. Also they tend to resort to 'colouring in' which might tick the practicing fine motor skills box but is in no way creative.

icklekid Fri 04-Dec-15 07:02:08

At our school we will have a few art weeks where they will do some each year (from year 1 upwards) might be paint or clay or printing etc...

I don't think saying it is going in a learning journey is fobbing you off. Just ask to look at it!

Enjolrass Fri 04-Dec-15 07:09:10

Dd did loads in year 1. But only brought it home at the end of term or year. Massive bags full at the end of the year.

Did the teacher show you his folder? Our school always has the folder at parents consultation.

What about work on the walls?

Ds is in reception so something comes home every day, usually something he has built in creative corner. Class work (like when they painted their family a couple of months ago) was put in the wall.

The teacher invited us in one morning so we could see it and take a photo of our child's work. It was lovely to see all the parents cooing over their child's work together.

defineme Fri 04-Dec-15 07:13:55

If I was that worried i would sit down with him and say we're doing some drawing for xmas pictures for relatives and spacify he does santa or whatever. you must have done drawing with him if you have all the art stuff?

SoupDragon Fri 04-Dec-15 07:21:36

DS1 was utterly crap at art in Y1 and never did anything at home unless forced for some reason or other. I remember looking at a row of clay amulets they'd made and being about to correctly identify the pile of sick as being his effort. He's just got an A in GCSE Art.

He never brought home stuff through the year, it all came home at the end in a plastic bag.

Not everyone enjoys arty stuff. As a Previous poster said, maybe get some blank cards and get him to draw Christmas cards for Grandparents etc

Youandmemillerscow Fri 04-Dec-15 07:32:38

"Also they tend to resort to 'colouring in' which might tick the practicing fine motor skills box but is in no way creative."

I disagree. Colouring can be a very creative activity, where children learn about colour, combining colour, different types of pens / marks and their visual effects; from observing dc1 they also learn about visual language but I think it depends on how it's done and how much the child enjoys this type of activity.

Dameshazaba Fri 04-Dec-15 09:16:33

How interesting. Enjoying all the posts! So is it possible they spend the whole day practicing reading, maths and then writing sentences for topic work? It doesn't sound very creative , I suppose I imagined loads of arty stuff going on as a way of teaching everything

Dameshazaba Fri 04-Dec-15 09:19:12

I have asked him to draw a person and he draws a tiny head with arms and legs sticking out of it! Never big smiley faces etc. He is a good reader and good at maths so seems to be doing OK but I worry it's a bit unusual

Artandco Fri 04-Dec-15 09:20:06

Mine does a lot at school, they have art twice a week plus do extra in whatever topic or subject they are doing that week

They both draw/ paint/ college all the time at home though as well

Do you encourage the art type stuff at home?

Dameshazaba Fri 04-Dec-15 09:34:02

I do try but clearly not enough! We have all the materials and art easel etc , but when we get it out he lasts 2 mins and wants to stop. I think this has lead to me finding it a faff. Any tips for me to find it easier to set up and clear away? Or recommends for things to get us going?

Dameshazaba Fri 04-Dec-15 09:35:11

Artansco please tell me more, how do you encourage them to do this?

Artandco Fri 04-Dec-15 10:01:22

I don't know. They have been using it daily since 1-2 years though so now at 5 they have been doing it regularly for a while

We have paper all accessible in a drawer, and on the table a basket with several pots in with pens/ pencils/ pastels/ scissors etc

Watercolour paint in a basic tin they can use everyday as can just get water and brush and start, other paint is messier so we only do when set up with them for actual painting session. For paint they have mini easels and thin canvas boards.

The craft stuff is always left on the table also when they have to tidy up other toys ie before school they can't get everything out toy wise but can draw 10 mins if ready.

Artandco Fri 04-Dec-15 10:10:06

Maybe you could buy him an art set for Xmas and lots of paper?

www.ryman.co.uk/ryman-art-set-91-piece ~ like this

Dameshazaba Fri 04-Dec-15 10:15:11

Thank you art smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now