Talk

Advanced search

freezer door left a jar for an hour..

(15 Posts)
ItsAllAboutTheCakes Thu 03-Dec-15 20:07:10

Meat still rock solid, fish still rock solid, vege still solid if slightly defrosted but still very hard. Ice cream was soft but that's what I'd had out the freezer before I put it back in and didn't close it properly.
Put kids to bed and just come down to it open slightly.
The fronts of the freezer drawers looked a bit wet but no water on the floor.
Can I just shut the door and it will be fine or should I cook all the meat and stuff?

LineyReborn Thu 03-Dec-15 20:09:11

I'd just close it.

Lasaraleen Thu 03-Dec-15 20:09:16

If it's still frozen I'd shut the door and forget about it.

catfordbetty Thu 03-Dec-15 20:09:18

Yes, shut the door and forget about it. Never happened.

Close it. If it was just ajar for an hour, it won't be that bad.

HungryHorace Thu 03-Dec-15 20:09:39

For an hour I'd just shut the door and forget it.

SweetAdeline Thu 03-Dec-15 20:10:25

I'd just close it too.

Salmotrutta Thu 03-Dec-15 20:11:41

All will be fine.

Don't give it another thought.

iwillbemrsminty Thu 03-Dec-15 20:12:22

I left mine overnight a couple of months ago, just under 8 hours, slightly ajar and everything was still solid save for a loaf of bread right at the front which had slightly started to thaw. Closed door, all good. Don't worry about it at all for an hour!

WhispersOfWickedness Thu 03-Dec-15 20:18:24

I'd probably get rid of the ice cream to be on the safe side, but the rest will be fine. You might be paying a touch more for electricity though as the freezer will have had to work really hard to keep itself cold. Shouldn't be a significant amount for just an hour though smile

SweetAdeline Thu 03-Dec-15 20:19:36

You should probably eat the ice cream now just in case wink

kali110 Thu 03-Dec-15 20:19:45

It'll be fine. More than 2 hours then i'd dump.

iamanintrovert Thu 03-Dec-15 20:23:03

Don't get rid of the ice cream! !!

nortonhouse Thu 03-Dec-15 20:27:16

Slightly ajar, for an hour, in the winter - just close the door, it'll be fine. Eat the ice cream if you feel like it. wink

NUFC69 Thu 03-Dec-15 20:27:19

Can I just add a word of warning (nothing to do with the food which should be fine)? We did something similar with our freezer and later it appeared not to be freezing properly so we had to call out an engineer. He charged £60, was here 2 minutes and said that because of the door ajar incident the frost free function wasn't working (long, complicated explanation). We had to completely empty it, switch off, defrost, and then start again. There hasn't been any problems since - just so you know in case it happens to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now