Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if I can have an au pair without children?

(52 Posts)
potap123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:18:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

potap123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:20:06

Killairno Thu 03-Dec-15 14:20:28

I would imagine you could find some kind of housekeeper/cleaner who could take on those tasks. You don't sound lazy to me - sounds like a sensible plan.

sparechange Thu 03-Dec-15 14:21:43

Our local community forum regularly has posts from au pairs looking to pick up extra hours of work doing housekeeper type duties.

Do you have anything similar? Or do you know anyone with an au pair who could ask around and see if anyone wants some extra hours?

nancy75 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:21:53

I think you would probably find a school mum (or dad) would bite your hand off for £10 an hour 20 hours a week if they could do it in school hours and you were flexible about time off in the holidays

molyholy Thu 03-Dec-15 14:22:29

I would advertise in the local paper for a housekeeper type job. Not sure about tenner an hour though. How would it work with tax/NI and all that?

Katiekatiekatiekay Thu 03-Dec-15 14:24:13

Where are you?

TheBunnyOfDoom Thu 03-Dec-15 14:24:20

What about a housekeeper/cleaner?

Lozza1990 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:30:37

A lot of people would be more than happy to work for £10 an hour. That's not unreasonable at all. You should look into a housekeeper/cleaner.

Sighing Thu 03-Dec-15 14:41:32

I do this (though currently on leave). 'Home helper' advert is what I responded to.

Sighing Thu 03-Dec-15 14:42:58

(And I don't get £10 an hour but not near London). I hope you find a good fit for you both!

Lndnmummy Thu 03-Dec-15 14:43:51

Yes really common where I live. My cousin was an au pair in beverly hills when he was 18. He looked after a doggrin. Seriously, that was his job. He was flown over frm Sweden to look after one dog. He had the time of his life

leavesrfalling Thu 03-Dec-15 14:55:02

I am sure a lot of teenagers would also jump at the chance to earn some extra money doing that (my DD would!)

TheSecondViola Thu 03-Dec-15 14:56:12

Home helper, yes. Au pair, no. An au pair job is very specific, they are to look after children. And they are meant to be treated almost as another much older child, and to help them learn english etc so its a two way thing as well.

Advertise for someone local as you said.

ClancyMoped Thu 03-Dec-15 14:58:50

I think you can but they would have to live in, share in the work and leisure activities, be treated as one of the family and not be charged for meals or accommodation.( Info from www.gov.uk who's entitled to minimum wage)

It might suit a student?

Personally, I'd get proper clarification.

ClancyMoped Thu 03-Dec-15 15:00:19

Live out and you would. Have to pay minimum wage.

SettlinginNicely Thu 03-Dec-15 15:01:24

This reminds me of some friends of mine years ago. A bunch of lads in their early 20s going to school at UC Berkely. They were renting a big old house and thought it would be a fab idea to have an au pair look after them. (It was all a bit Wendy and the Lost Boys really.) The au pair agency said a flat no. They cited that the family must have minor children for it to be an au pair placement.

You and your husband obviously don't present the same issues that a house with 4 lads does, but to have a proper au pair, there may be rules of this nature to protect the au pairs.

juneau Thu 03-Dec-15 15:03:15

YANBU although I think you need a housekeeper, rather than au-pair, who tends to be a young woman from OS who wants to learn English in return for room, board and some light duties. I'd advertise locally, if I was you, and see what you come up with.

KitKat1985 Thu 03-Dec-15 15:04:13

I'm sure you could find someone who would be up for doing home-help type work. It might particularly suit someone who is semi-retired or who has school-age kids and would like to earn some extra cash whilst the kids are in school. But I think you need a home-help rather than an au-pair, as I think au-pair's are usually just there to help with childcare.

scandichick Thu 03-Dec-15 15:05:19

A friend of mine was a horse & hound au pair in France, seemed a bit bonkers to me then but now I get it. I don't think she was officially an au pair though, since they were friends of family friends.

dinkystinky Thu 03-Dec-15 15:05:27

You need a housekeeper - live in or live out. £10 an hour sounds fine.

MerryMarigold Thu 03-Dec-15 15:05:30

I found a live-out Au pair, who was an au pair to a school age child. She used to help me for around 3 hours a day during the day so she could still deal with the child. Au pairs shouldn't be doing full time hours anyway, so often have some time and would like some extra money.

I think it sounds like a great idea and I would do it for you for some extra money (I'm outer London, Essex, still on tube!). I'm sure there are other stay at home mums who would be delighted for a job within school hours. Perhaps see if any local schools have a notice board? Or the local paper? (Not that I ever read that).

mrsjanedoe Thu 03-Dec-15 15:08:59

YANBU

Some au-pair agencies ask their candidates if they would consider a family without children, it's not unheard of at all, and completely allowed.

If you prefer live-out, you will have a lot of choices. What you are offering (with flexible hours) was the best job students could do when I was at Uni.

potap123 Thu 03-Dec-15 15:10:52

blobbityblob Thu 03-Dec-15 15:17:29

I see adverts a bit like this on Gumtree from time to time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now