Talk

Advanced search

To think that Hilary Benn should

(216 Posts)
Sallyingforth Thu 03-Dec-15 13:38:57

take over as Labour leader right now.
He has time to rebuild the party into a credible opposition before the next election. With Corbyn in charge the Tories will walk it.

lardyscouse Thu 03-Dec-15 13:40:52

He should be ashamed of himself. I for one would leave the party.

SuburbanRhonda Thu 03-Dec-15 13:42:29

Because he made a good speech in the House of Commons yesterday? Or has he done something else to show great leadership qualities and that he has the support of his party?

AbeSaidYes Thu 03-Dec-15 13:42:32

Where does this idea that Corbyn is unelectable come from? He was a threat to national security just a few months ago.

I think it's a shame that Benn, coming from where he does, has the opinions he does and cares so little for innocent people.

Duckdeamon Thu 03-Dec-15 13:46:47

Because he gave a good speech in favour of bombing Syria?

No.

lardyscouse Thu 03-Dec-15 13:49:50

Sallying forth. Are you a member of the Labour party? do you vote? do you actually understand politics?

SlaggyIsland Thu 03-Dec-15 13:51:57

I will never vote for a Labour party with Hilary Benn as it's leader. How ashamed his father would have been.

lardyscouse Thu 03-Dec-15 13:54:25

[With Corbyn in charge the Tories will walk it.]

After last night, it would make no difference if Hillary was leader, he agrees with Cameron anyway.

molyholy Thu 03-Dec-15 13:56:12

Everything Abe and Slaggy said

ilovesooty Thu 03-Dec-15 13:56:27

I think his father would be ashamed.
I'd leave the party if he were elected leader.

Badders123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:06:19

Nope.
I would leave the Labour Party if he became leader.
His father will be turning in his grave sad

APlaceOnTheCouch Thu 03-Dec-15 14:07:42

Nope he should not be Labour leader. I met him through work a few years ago. He was disappointing then but not as disappointing as he is today after his Syria speech.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Thu 03-Dec-15 14:07:43

I would love to see Hilary Benn as PM at some point.

It was a fabulous, sincere speech and he is very principled man who sees the sad realities.

As to the timings of leadership bids etc, I'm not quite sure.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Thu 03-Dec-15 14:09:26

do you vote? do you actually understand politics?

So rude lardy. You can disagree without being insulting.

Badders123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:10:28

Principled!?
2 weeks ago he was adamant that we should not bomb Syria!
(Front page of the independent)

lardyscouse Thu 03-Dec-15 14:11:20

I remember a friend at a meeting 22 years ago, when Hillary said 'we are all in the same boat' standing up and saying, ' you are in a yacht and we are still in a canoe, one day you will take our paddle as well', she was right.

Badders123 Thu 03-Dec-15 14:12:04

ind.pn/1NxAl7q

DrDreReturns Thu 03-Dec-15 14:12:09

I'd vote for him. All this stuff about his father is annoying, he is his own person with his own opinions. Doesn't matter a jot who his father was.

CremeEggThief Thu 03-Dec-15 14:13:52

I'm another one wondering what Tony would think.

StrawberryTeaLeaf Thu 03-Dec-15 14:15:11

Principled!? 2 weeks ago he was adamant that we should not bomb Syria!

So 'principled' would have been making his mind up a fortnight ago, sticking his fingers in his ears and not absorbing any further information, intelligence or analysis, would it? One applies principles to real life situations.

I'd vote for him. All this stuff about his father is annoying, he is his own person with his own opinions. Doesn't matter a jot who his father was.

Added to which, this isn't 1992, we are not discussing Saddam, Iraq, or the prospect of GW1.

Chillyegg Thu 03-Dec-15 14:15:35

So he makes one speech and that's it he should be pm? So he shold be pm because um he wants to kill loads of civilians in syria?

lardyscouse Thu 03-Dec-15 14:15:49

How is asking a question rude? or insulting? A leader cannot just pop up from nowhere and depose an elected one. If this needs to be explained due to some-one not understanding the system then that's fine. If I went in to the minutae without asking then that would be patronising.

iPaid Thu 03-Dec-15 14:17:15

OP - would you like the Labour Party membership to vote for that or just plonk him straight in? What about the leader who was democratically voted in a couple of months ago?

StrawberryTeaLeaf Thu 03-Dec-15 14:17:59

How is asking a question rude? or insulting? A leader cannot just pop up from nowhere and depose an elected one. If this needs to be explained due to some-one not understanding the system then that's fine. If I went in to the minutae without asking then that would be patronising.

There was nothing in her OP to suggest she didn't vote confused

Party leaders have been stalking-horses 'popped-up from nowhere' (more or less), including Margaret Thatcher.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Thu 03-Dec-15 14:18:01

Of course it doesn't matter who his father was, HB is his own man with his own ideas and his own vote within the party which he chose to exercise the way he did.

And I rather think that history will not be as kind to him as it is to that father, and I think his speech last night will come back to haunt him in future years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now